credo November 6th, 2019 8:45pm

In my opinion, well done practical effects in movies are better looking than CGI.

suppressedID Honor RBGs Wish
11/08/19 9:18 am

CGI has become a crutch.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
11/07/19 2:52 am

Well-written characters and dialogue are better than CGI too

Quinnipiac Here
11/06/19 6:58 pm

Original Star Wars versus the ridiculous bull shit prequels and sequels.

Talren Positivist
11/06/19 4:56 pm

No. It entirely depends on context. Certain things lend themselves better to practical effects, and others lend themselves better to CGI. You’d be surprised just how many things you see in movies are CGI.

The reason people are so biased against CGI is because due to the nature of it, the only time you even notice that it’s there is when it’s bad. It’s very hard for people to appreciate good CGI when they don’t even know it’s CGI in the first place.

shygal47 Florida east coast
11/06/19 3:19 pm

I have seen the promos for Midway ... looks like it’s all CGI. I’m not going to bother seeing it. Maybe it’ll come on tv in the future.

credo Vote your conscience
11/07/19 4:34 pm

Computer generated images.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/07/19 5:25 pm

I took a look and it looks pretty cool but I agree I wouldn’t see it in theaters.

ctskapski NB MD
11/06/19 2:44 pm

Generally, but it depends. At this point CGI can be used to render realistic shorts in real time (as in without any pre-rendering on a consumer graphics card.

Examples of this can be found in nvidia's 'reflections' RTX demo
youtu.be/lMSuGoYcT3s

Or in Unity's ADAM demos
youtu.be/GXI0l3yqBrA

Both of which are available in executable form, as well, if you've got the card for it (ADAM runs on my old GTX 960, and reflections runs on my 2060 Super) and both of which are, again, not pre-rendered.

So it depends on the skill of the artists and the resources they have.

But, generally, I still agree.

ctskapski NB MD
11/06/19 7:57 pm

Also, I cannot express enough how much of a limitation it is to make something render in real time.

For large productions it's not unheard of to have each frame take hours to render.

Tools like houdini for making particle effects (like fluid or smoke) or programs to automate crowds, like we've seen in movies like game of thrones and lord of the rings... cgi is powerful when it's done well.

The same can be said about practical effects.

They both require a lot of talent. CGI just takes a lot more in terms of resources for a good result.

You need texture designers, modelers, after-effects, lighting experts.

It's a lot, but it can really be worth it.

RatBaby
11/06/19 2:33 pm

My go-to for fantastic practical effects is always the dinosaurs in the first Jurassic Park.

ctskapski NB MD
11/06/19 2:44 pm

Or Alien, for another fantastic example.

credo Vote your conscience
11/06/19 4:37 pm

Jurassic park is a good one. The dragon scene from Willow is another one. It blows my mind how real that thing looked all the way back in 1988.