royalben10
11/21/17 6:35 am

I think that abortions should be heavily discouraged. Having state funded abortions does not make people any less likely to get pregnant, in fact the opposite is true, so we shouldn't not pay for them as a nation. However, if either the father or the mother don't want the kid to be born, they should be able to get an abortion

Wackacrat Harford County
11/21/17 4:52 am

Pro choice. That is why I'm against rape.

Georgiafrog Rome, Georgia
11/21/17 4:38 am

I voted pro-life, but if you take that stance to its legal extreme i dont like the consequences. Are we going to arrest doctors? Or women who get an abortion? I think addressing the causes of unwanted pregnancies through education and healthcare access is the way to go. Is that pro-choice then?

Mackinaw Wolverine State, est.1837
11/21/17 1:06 am

Pro life, to preserve the right to life of the child.

gluxford1 Arizona
11/21/17 12:16 am

Pro-life for unborn babies and pro-death for convicted murderers.

Wert A picture of my junk
11/20/17 10:40 pm

Both. Yes. That’s a thing.

jenkp223 Being a mommy
11/20/17 10:21 pm

Personally, I would never have one unless my life were in danger or if the child had severe birth defects. However, I think a woman should be able to have an abortion during at least part of the first trimester, if not all of it. I don’t think any woman should be forced to carry a pregnancy to term. However, I think there are things we can do to reduce the number of abortions. First, we need to teach young people about birth control. Second, we need to make adoption easier and cheaper. I think more people would be willing to adopt, but it is prohibitively expensive for a lot of people.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
11/20/17 8:42 pm

I'm pro abortion. I think abortion should be a default medical procedure, absent an active intervention by the parent(s). It could be as simple as agreeing to have the child - however, parenting should be seen as opt-in, not opt-out.

Are you prolife? Simply opt-in every time.

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
11/20/17 5:53 pm

I object to the way the system works with respect to fathers. My ex texted me that she had an abortion. I didn't get any say one way or the other. But if she, and she alone, chose to have the baby I am responsible. Authority and responsibility should go hand in hand.

Happy ending though... she lied to me and offered my baby for adoption against my will. I found out and I now have custody.

TrueAmerican7 I Am Galt.
11/20/17 6:26 pm

Outstanding! I️ wish that had been the case for me. 😣

ReyG
11/20/17 6:54 pm

You’re right!!! That’s good that I️t worked out for you!!!

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
11/20/17 6:55 pm

I'm sorry. I went through a lot of grieving when I thought I had lost my baby. I feel for you.

TrueAmerican7 I Am Galt.
11/20/17 7:04 pm

Thank you Phx. He would have been 19 last month.

NERVOSA California
11/20/17 5:49 pm

The time to decide about pregnancy is before, not after the act. In cases of rape (which make up an EXTREMELY low number of all abortions), adoption should be considered and the quality of foster homes should be improved greatly. All life is precious, whether inside or outside the womb.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
11/20/17 8:46 pm

What if the mother is four years old and got pregnant because the neighbor had a party the night before and didn't use enough chlorine in the water?

crazyjane New Jersey
11/20/17 9:23 pm

Respectfully disagree

GlockMan1 Alabama
11/20/17 4:57 pm

It’s murder. Plain and simple. It’s the reason the people of Alabama will elect a sexual pervert over a baby killer to the Senate. Shame these are our only two choices.

Metamorphosis
11/20/17 4:51 pm

I am pro choice for economic and class equality for women. If abortion became illegal, wealthy women would simply leave the country for an abortion while poor women and their doctors would be jailed.

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
11/20/17 5:48 pm

Probably not. The vast majority of abortions are performed for young, unwed, poor women. The wealthy have other options. Even if a well off woman isn't capable of raising the child, other members of her well off family do not suffer a financial hardship by stepping in to raise the child

11/20/17 5:52 pm

Before abortions were legal wealthy women went off to have abortions while poor women died from desperate attempts to abort.

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
11/20/17 5:54 pm

Would love to see some support for that. Or maybe we just have a different idea of what constitutes wealthy...

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
11/20/17 6:17 pm

This largely supports my position. It says 600 people traveled out if country while 130,000 attempted unsafe abortions. So in the grand scheme of things almost nobody traveled (less than one half of one percent) because for the most part wealthy don't need abortions.

11/20/17 7:36 pm

Show me proof of that.

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
11/20/17 7:38 pm

Read the article you cited. It is right there in black and white.

I hate when people cite articles and just assume it will support their position because they assume they are right.

11/20/17 7:40 pm

It also says of those reported.

11/20/17 7:41 pm

You don’t have to be a dick. Geez

11/20/17 7:51 pm

More than 600 American women made the trip to the United Kingdom during the last three months of 1969 alone; by 1970, package deals (including round-trip airfare, passports, vaccination, transportation to and from the airport and lodging and meals for four days, in addition to the procedure itself) were advertised in the popular media.

11/20/17 7:53 pm

New York did not include a residency requirement, which put it on the map as an option for the affluent.

The year before the Supreme Court's decision in Roe v. Wade, just over 100,000 women left their own state to obtain a legal abortion in New York City. According to an analysis by The Alan Guttmacher Institute, an estimated 50,000 women traveled more than 500 miles to obtain a legal abortion in New York City; nearly 7,000 women traveled more than 1,000 miles, and some 250 traveled more than 2,000 miles, from places as far as Arizona, Idaho and Nevada.

PhxLibertarian Republic of Dave
11/20/17 10:00 pm

Nice claim but that doesn't say anything at all about all of them being wealthy so even if we accept it as absolute fact it does nothing to support your original position.

I am willing to engage in civil debate but I am bowing out of this one. You don't seem to understand what the data does and doesn't say. Nothing to be learned or taught here...

11/20/17 10:15 pm

BTW affluent means wealthy

11/20/17 3:56 pm

I am pro choice because I believe women have the right to determine their future with the guidance of medical professionals. American women suffer needlessly when they aren’t allowed to make choices. Pregnancy is stressful and can lead to complications. Forcing someone to carry a baby to term is evil.

ReyG
11/20/17 3:57 pm

I️ totally agree!

11/20/17 5:48 pm

Most abortions happen within the first month. Abortions like you described are rare.

Pro choice isn’t just about abortion. It’s about birth control, it’s about the ability to make choices about your healthcare. The rate of abortions go down when there is sex education and birth control.

Forcing anyone to do anything against their will is EVIL.

11/20/17 8:05 pm

Women are oppressed. Women in small town rural religious communities are having babies as young as 13. They are baby making machines with no education and no resources of their own. Some have been forced to marry their rapist.

11/20/17 8:18 pm

In fact, more than 167,000 young people age 17 and under married in 38 states between 2000 and 2010, according to a search of available marriage license data by a group called Unchained at Last, which aims to ban child marriage. The search turned up cases of 12-year-old girls married in Alaska, Louisiana and South Carolina, while other states simply had categories of “14 and younger.”

www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/26/opinion/sunday/it-was-forced-on-me-child-marriage-in-the-us.amp.html

...

11/20/17 8:19 pm

I never said all, you did.

11/20/17 9:58 pm

I’m not a social justice warrior. You clearly don’t understand the definition.

11/20/17 3:53 pm

I ‘ll never be able to get pregnant, so I say let the women of the world decide on the issue of abortion.

Zinkshadow1 Tallahassee
11/20/17 4:41 pm

You probably won't ever get a death sentence in court but that doesn't mean you shouldn't put in your say on the ethics of people who do.

11/20/17 4:43 pm

I’m against the death penalty.

11/20/17 5:38 pm

Against abortion yet for the death penalty, let that sink in too.

11/20/17 5:43 pm

First off, I never said I was for abortion, I clearly stated let women decide the issue. Secondly many innocents die of the death penalty and that is why I am against it, one innocent dies, not worth it! I stand by that!

11/20/17 5:46 pm

One innocent dies, it is not worth it! Period!

NERVOSA California
11/20/17 5:52 pm

When a medical professional has spent unfathomable amount of time and money studying fetal anatomy and the humanity of a fetus as a whole, but all their work is rendered useless because he’s a male. What a stupid sentiment.

11/20/17 5:53 pm

Rob-where did I say that? Please where?

11/20/17 6:02 pm

Seems you are afraid to let the women decide the issue on abortion? Hmmmm?

NERVOSA California
11/20/17 6:05 pm

Nice argument, didn’t even address what I said. You’re a smart one, bud.

11/20/17 6:09 pm

Nerv-yeah because it was ridiculous

NERVOSA California
11/20/17 6:10 pm

But it’s not ridiculous to dismiss scientific studies based on one’s gender? Sounds intellectually dishonest and rather sexist to me.

11/20/17 6:17 pm

Seems like you are also scared to let women decide the issue of abortion? Why? Hmmmm?

NERVOSA California
11/20/17 6:39 pm

Why won’t you address my claims Zim? I care not who the messenger is, I want the facts. You’re sounding pretty sexist by giving only women the right to formulate an opinion on the topic.

11/20/17 6:55 pm

No just the opposite, women are the ones who carry the burden of pregnancy, if anything I’m saying women should have the power to decide, which is far more empowering, and not sexist at all, you on the other hand seem hostile to my proposal, and you haven’t answered why?

NERVOSA California
11/20/17 6:58 pm

I said I care not who the messenger is, I want the facts. You, however, want to discredit others solely based on their gender. Let me ask you this: would you not let a doctor treat you for cancer unless he himself has had cancer?

11/20/17 7:03 pm

Totally different, and if you can’t see that, well then you are entitled to your opinion. Again you seem so hostile to what I am saying. I guess we will just leave it at that.

NERVOSA California
11/20/17 7:05 pm

I’ll agree that you have yet to accurately address or refute any of my claims. Outside of that, I got nothing for you boss, Well, except this L.

11/20/17 7:17 pm

OMG! You know that is not what I meant! Come on!

11/20/17 7:18 pm

NERV-ok, just don’t understand your hostility.

11/20/17 7:36 pm

Rob, that’s what I’m saying I don’t have a dog in this fight, it’s not for me to decide, and you are correct, if I could get pregnant I would have a definite opinion! I’m glad we came to an agreement.