Ariella July 8th, 2013 2:49am

Inspired by superheroqwim's question and dramaschicks's comment: Should parents who smoke around their kids be punished for endangering their kids with second hand smoke?

holidaex
07/08/13 7:45 pm

What was the question and comment?

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
07/08/13 10:02 am

Yes! Second hand smoke is worse than the kid actually smoking the cigarette in my opinion AND experience.

HalfDozenMama in my scrapbook room
07/08/13 9:56 am

Then you better punish parents who take their kids to McDonald's more than once a month. Or forget to put sunscreen on them, let them ride a bike w/out a helmet. Every parent makes mistakes. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try our best, but come on.

bballard92 taste the rainbow
07/08/13 9:17 am

Secondhand is dangerous, and parents should be courteous enough to step outside for a cigarette, but it's completely legal. There should be no "punishment."

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/08/13 9:45 am

There should be no legal punishment I completely agree, but they should be looked down upon/ignored/treated differently because of those actions by the people who know its happening until they get some not-so-common sense.

HalfDozenMama in my scrapbook room
07/08/13 9:58 am

Super, I don't believe shaming anyone works. How about education, assistance to stop smoking, etc.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/08/13 10:00 am

I don't think education will work when so many people know what is happening and they just don't care.

bballard92 taste the rainbow
07/08/13 10:10 am

To be honest, it just seems like people condescending each other isn't good for anyone. The one looking down their nose is malicious and the "guilty" party gets emotionally hurt by the ones closest to them, since they'll be the ones to know about it.

ewa784
07/08/13 6:41 am

My birth mother was a smoker and blew it right in my face. Developed allergies as a result from second hand smoking. She was a cu#t

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/08/13 7:31 am

K, I'm getting married on Wednesday! :)

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/08/13 7:38 am

Congrats! I will remember its my birthday.

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/08/13 7:49 am

It's my fiancé's birthday too! I won't be on SoH that day (and probably a few days after that) so happy early birthday! I hope it's an amazing day for you! :-)

bballard92 taste the rainbow
07/08/13 9:17 am

Congratulations :))

DavesNotHere where am I
07/08/13 1:24 pm

Happy marriage Ariella!! I wish you nothing but a great life with your husband to be. Total bliss for you both.❤????

07/07/13 10:55 pm

I can't get my iPod to type in a font big enough to fully represent my "YES" Both my parents smoked at me until I was away at college - then they finally quit, having given me pneumonia the first six winters of my life and asthmatic bronchitis every

07/07/13 11:00 pm

Year thereafter. We lived in the Chicago suburbs and I can remember being driven to school in winter in a closed, smoke-filled car, stepping outside and getting a lungful of clean, sub-zero air, and knowing that they'd send us outside to run in Gym

07/07/13 11:05 pm

class and i'd be out sick for the next three weeks. It was the same every year, yet they made no attempt to get me a doctor's note for Gym class. And in Jr. High I was tested for allergies, so they couldn't say they didn't know I was highly allergic

07/07/13 11:11 pm

to their smoke. I loved my parents and they loved me, but their addictions were so strong, they put them before my health and safety. Yes, that's abusive. Yes, there should have been some legal consequences/fines and a court-ordered recovery program.

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/07/13 11:23 pm

I'm so sorry you went through all that, tlaney. :(

07/08/13 12:01 am

Thanks, Ariella! Things are better now with more advanced meds. I take Singulair daily, a couple puffs of Symbicort at bedtime, and an Albuterol nebulizer treatment when I need it, but I can breathe well and sing operatic arias, so I thank God!

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/08/13 12:04 am

I just love your spirit, you're so positive! Even through all you've been through, you still continue to be happy and praise The Lord. You're just awesome! May you continue to be blessed and stay happy! :)

07/08/13 12:12 am

Ariella, I love you - they should have your picture in the dictionary next to compassionate! I'm so glad you're here on SoH, where I know countless users will be blessed through you.
As to the positive attitude, I'm afraid it not always around . You

07/08/13 12:17 am

may not know that I've had a major struggle with diabetes, which has left me legally blind and unable to stand without hanging on to something, because I haven't felt my feet in 8+ years - your sense of balance depends on feedback from your feet to

07/08/13 12:22 am

your brain. So I'm retired on disability and spend basically 24/7/365 in a medical lift chair. I'm getting a special hospital bed next week to help the bedsores heal. So it's easy to forget the positive.
But so many diabetics are worse off than I.

07/08/13 12:27 am

Some are totally blind, or have had their legs amputated due to wounds they didn't feel getting gangrene. And none of them have been blessed with a wife like I've had for 40 years this September, who takes care of me tirelessly and (almost)

07/08/13 12:32 am

without complaint. :)
So I do rejoice that God has left me with so much, and the opportunity to continue to enjoy my wife and two grown kids. And folks like you on SoH, which is my only social media site. How 'bout you, A? Everything good?

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/08/13 12:39 am

Wow, tlaney! First of all, congrats to you and your wife on the anniversary, that's just beautiful. Secondly, I thought I had real joy, you my friend TRULY know what joy is! I can't even begin to imagine what your life is like, yet you keep your...

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/08/13 12:43 am

...sprits high and your head up. People forget how lucky they truly are sometimes, but you, you ALWAYS remember! You've reminded me this morning what truly being happy is about. Thank you! You're an awesome man, tlaney. Don't ever forget that...

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/08/13 12:45 am

..as far as I go, things are wonderful. I'm getting married on Wednesday and I'm super excited/nervous/anxious/happy! Lol. I've never felt so many emotions at once, my heart has been racing all week!

07/08/13 12:56 am

Ariella, congratulations to you and that lucky young man! I know how excited you are because my daughter was married last December! I don't know how you can find time for SoH with so many new and exciting thought racing through your mind. Maybe we're

07/08/13 1:01 am

a little therapeutic. May God bless you two richly with a long, joyful, and fruitful marriage!
Hey, just curious - we inherited my parents' condo in Daytona Beach Shores, and we come down about once a year. What part of FL are you in?

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/08/13 1:06 am

Thank you so much! I'm in Panama City. If you're not sure where that is, it's on the panhandle of Florida. We are known for our rather wild spring breaks. MTV use to come down here, but I think we scared them off! Lol! Tlaney, it has been a joy...

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/08/13 1:08 am

..chatting with you tonight/this morning! :)
Sleep is starting to get to me, so I think I'm headed for bed! I hope you have a wonderful evening/morning and we will surely chat again soon, my friend! :)

07/08/13 1:15 am

Ariella, I feel the same! And if you think Spring Break is bad, Daytona's got that, too, plus Bike Week, where A1A is constantly tied up with thousands of motorcyclists, and of course Race Week for the Daytona 500! :-)

juge Utah
07/07/13 9:58 pm

I grew up around second hand smoke, it is abusive. , as a child you can't do anything about it but suffer . People that do this to kids are 100 percent selfish!!! They should consider others!

LochnessMonster Milky way
07/07/13 9:41 pm

I feel it's the parents choice to raise their child how they see fit.

badattitude no place like home
07/07/13 10:38 pm

What if they feel it's ok to abuse the child? Obviously not. What about poison? No way right. So where do you draw the line? I think a parent can step outside to smoke. It's the least you can do for your child. After all. She didn't drink while preg.

07/07/13 11:18 pm

@LochnessMonster - I don't mean to interrupt your conversation, but did you realize THE WHOLE WORLD IS LOOKING FOR YOU? I've always believed in you, and I should have realized you would come to Texas - everybody does, eventually. :-)

LochnessMonster Milky way
07/08/13 9:37 am

Personally I was beaten most of my life as a child I ran away did drugs drank you name it. And I turned out just fine.

LochnessMonster Milky way
07/08/13 9:38 am

Hahahaha your awesome. That made my day.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/08/13 9:43 am

Just because you turned out just fine doesn't mean that it's ok or that other kids should have to follow you.

LochnessMonster Milky way
07/08/13 9:46 am

True but it's personal choice. I made the best of it. I don't use it as a crutch I don't cry about it. I accept the hand I was given and make something better out of it. Truthfully if it wouldn't have happened I wouldn't be who I am today.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/08/13 9:48 am

You're talking about just smoking right? Cause beating your child is not a personal choice lol

LochnessMonster Milky way
07/08/13 9:57 am

No what you do with your life. I'm not saying beating your child is right by no means. That doesn't make them bad parents though. Just means that someone should reach out and try to help the parents because they are feeling with person stuff and

LochnessMonster Milky way
07/08/13 9:57 am

They don't know how else to deal with their issues.

Rob Be Safe Be Smart
07/07/13 9:41 pm

No, but they should be made to feel like like the idiots they are.

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/07/13 8:55 pm

This is irrational. So if a parent cant smoke around their kids because its considered abuse, you might as well make it punishable if its around anyone.What if they're loving and caring parents?? You still want to punish them for smoking around them?

dramaschick All ways in my head
07/07/13 9:00 pm

In the majority of the US it is illegal to smoke around others. You can't smoke in restaurants, a lot of bars, parks, parking lots

Btw I am in love with your name

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/07/13 9:13 pm

I think it's over the line to get involved in family life over this.Just as it would be if parents have obese children - which I think is worse.Education is key. There are much less people smoking now and will eventually be rare to see.

juge Utah
07/07/13 10:00 pm

Great idea! It should be. We did not choose to smoke and damage our bodies, why should we allow you to?

juge Utah
07/07/13 10:07 pm

What part of loving and caring are you not understanding ?? To be loving and caring you would be considerate of your child's health and wellness. That's why there are laws to protect our children's health, cause the parents can be downright stupid sometimes.o

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/08/13 3:28 am

If this is abuse then a person should be able to file assault charges against a smoker. Assault from their cig smoke. Absurd and frivolous. Is anyone in any kind of imminent danger? No. Save the police force and court system for the ones who are

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/08/13 3:28 am

truly harmed. This is too much of a blurred line. Maybe we should fine parents for giving their kid popsicles & cotton candy too? Those aren't good for them either.

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/07/13 8:50 pm

Pro choicer's support this I bet if you would have killed the snot than smoking wouldn't be a problem.

izak81 Indiana
07/07/13 8:31 pm

The fact that majority of under 21s said yes means likely in the next generation it will become a form of abuse to do second hand smoke to children.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
07/07/13 8:27 pm

Having grown up in a cloud of second hand smoke, I can attest that exposure for the few years a kid is exposed very rarely if ever does permanent damage. The risk just isn't significant enough to make a big deal over it. Don't do it to your kid.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/08/13 9:47 am

I don't think that's true, all you can say for certain is that you didn't get any negative effects from it, because there is plenty of others posting who have been effected by it.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
07/08/13 12:01 pm

Most kids of my generation were routinely exposed to second hand smoke. The only real effect I see is that more of us became smokers ourselves, at least for a while.

Kris Humidity Central
07/07/13 8:10 pm

No. As bad as it sounds. This is one of those "slippery slopes". It will go from smoking to making noise above a certain volume that may damage their ears to not feeding them "healthy" foods.

Parents should parent. It sucks a lot don't.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/07/13 8:19 pm

I guess I see the argument and may have to switch sides but its just so horrible to have to see those poor little kids in a car with their own parents hot boxing them. I feel like I want a saw, but I guess that's not my place.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/07/13 8:19 pm

Although I will still express my blatant distaste for those people if I come across them

Kris Humidity Central
07/07/13 8:21 pm

I really feel those people could at least crack the window.

Or if the child is old enough to speak up, they should. Or make an ass of themselves until they stop if that's what it takes.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/07/13 8:01 pm

I think in Oregon they are. Good question

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/07/13 8:04 pm

They are supposed to be ticketed when smoking in the car with children but I haven't seen that enforced.

Emily33 North Carolina
07/07/13 8:00 pm

You would hope the parent would always have the child's best interest at heart and not smoke around them. It is very unfortunate that this is not always the case.

dramaschick All ways in my head
07/07/13 7:59 pm

The child(ren) don't have a choice, by someone smoking with their child around they are intentionally causing the child harm, and should be punished

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/07/13 7:58 pm

I see a bunch of No's, can someone who voted no comment why they voted that way, I wanna hear the arguments for it.

jonfrei the boonies
07/07/13 8:14 pm

There is already too much interference in our lives. What's next - your kid is fat so I'll punish you? Once you start down this path, there is no limit to what you can rationalize as being "for the greater good"

jonfrei the boonies
07/07/13 8:17 pm

Am I advocating smoking around children? No. I took smoking out of the house 32 years ago when my 1st daughter was born. But I did it by choice. Not because some gov't man told me I had to...

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/07/13 8:20 pm

That is a good answer and one I can respect. Your comment along with Kris' have made me switch sides on this issue I think. I'm still not completely sure how I feel I guess.

jonfrei the boonies
07/07/13 8:29 pm

Cool! :)

I'm all about EDUCATING people, but there are WAY too many regulations in our lives that shouldn't be there.

jonfrei the boonies
07/07/13 8:31 pm

My f-i-l was a seat-belt advocate from the early '60's -- to the point he was making/installing aftermarket seat belts in 1962. He would not so much as start his car until everyone was buckled up. Until Nebraska passed a seat belt law.

jonfrei the boonies
07/07/13 8:32 pm

He never wore a seat belt again for the rest of his life -- simply because he felt so strongly that the government did not have the right to tell him he had to...

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/07/13 7:57 pm

How bout people who give their child fried food.

dramaschick All ways in my head
07/07/13 8:00 pm

If they are giving their child fried food every day and they are showing adverse effects from it then yes. The adult is supposed to be the responsible one. Their only purpose to make sure the child can have the best quality of life possible

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/07/13 8:24 pm

Yes but what happens when this crosses into take your child to church, making them eat broccoli, or forcing them not to quit a sport. Where does it end?

dramaschick All ways in my head
07/07/13 8:35 pm

You can't make people have religion in their lives. But if you have a two year old who weighs over 100 lbs who should be responsible for that? Who should pay for neglecting that child

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/07/13 8:40 pm

We can't put the government in charge of everything. If parents are so bad why not start Obama Youth cradle to grave the way the government wants it right.

dramaschick All ways in my head
07/07/13 8:58 pm

So what we do nothing and let these children suffer because of their parents choices?

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/08/13 2:43 am

You can't even enforce this law have you seen how bad CPS is? The agency is a joke taking kids from good people and leaving kids to die with crackheads.