Ariella July 8th, 2013 2:49am

Inspired by superheroqwim's question and dramaschicks's comment: Should parents who smoke around their kids be punished for endangering their kids with second hand smoke?

Kris Humidity Central
07/07/13 8:21 pm

I really feel those people could at least crack the window.

Or if the child is old enough to speak up, they should. Or make an ass of themselves until they stop if that's what it takes.

Kris Humidity Central
07/07/13 8:10 pm

No. As bad as it sounds. This is one of those "slippery slopes". It will go from smoking to making noise above a certain volume that may damage their ears to not feeding them "healthy" foods.

Parents should parent. It sucks a lot don't.

Emily33 North Carolina
07/07/13 8:00 pm

You would hope the parent would always have the child's best interest at heart and not smoke around them. It is very unfortunate that this is not always the case.

juge Utah
07/07/13 9:58 pm

I grew up around second hand smoke, it is abusive. , as a child you can't do anything about it but suffer . People that do this to kids are 100 percent selfish!!! They should consider others!

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/07/13 8:55 pm

This is irrational. So if a parent cant smoke around their kids because its considered abuse, you might as well make it punishable if its around anyone.What if they're loving and caring parents?? You still want to punish them for smoking around them?

Rob Be Safe Be Smart
07/07/13 9:41 pm

No, but they should be made to feel like like the idiots they are.

ewa784
07/08/13 6:41 am

My birth mother was a smoker and blew it right in my face. Developed allergies as a result from second hand smoking. She was a cu#t

dramaschick All ways in my head
07/07/13 8:35 pm

You can't make people have religion in their lives. But if you have a two year old who weighs over 100 lbs who should be responsible for that? Who should pay for neglecting that child

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 11:18 pm

@LochnessMonster - I don't mean to interrupt your conversation, but did you realize THE WHOLE WORLD IS LOOKING FOR YOU? I've always believed in you, and I should have realized you would come to Texas - everybody does, eventually. :-)

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/07/13 9:13 pm

I think it's over the line to get involved in family life over this.Just as it would be if parents have obese children - which I think is worse.Education is key. There are much less people smoking now and will eventually be rare to see.

jonfrei the boonies
07/07/13 8:14 pm

There is already too much interference in our lives. What's next - your kid is fat so I'll punish you? Once you start down this path, there is no limit to what you can rationalize as being "for the greater good"

dramaschick All ways in my head
07/07/13 8:00 pm

If they are giving their child fried food every day and they are showing adverse effects from it then yes. The adult is supposed to be the responsible one. Their only purpose to make sure the child can have the best quality of life possible

HalfDozenMama in my scrapbook room
07/08/13 9:56 am

Then you better punish parents who take their kids to McDonald's more than once a month. Or forget to put sunscreen on them, let them ride a bike w/out a helmet. Every parent makes mistakes. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try our best, but come on.

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
07/08/13 10:02 am

Yes! Second hand smoke is worse than the kid actually smoking the cigarette in my opinion AND experience.

dramaschick All ways in my head
07/07/13 7:59 pm

The child(ren) don't have a choice, by someone smoking with their child around they are intentionally causing the child harm, and should be punished

Zod Above Pugetropolis
07/07/13 8:27 pm

Having grown up in a cloud of second hand smoke, I can attest that exposure for the few years a kid is exposed very rarely if ever does permanent damage. The risk just isn't significant enough to make a big deal over it. Don't do it to your kid.

dramaschick All ways in my head
07/07/13 8:58 pm

So what we do nothing and let these children suffer because of their parents choices?

LochnessMonster Milky way
07/07/13 9:41 pm

I feel it's the parents choice to raise their child how they see fit.

izak81 Indiana
07/07/13 8:31 pm

The fact that majority of under 21s said yes means likely in the next generation it will become a form of abuse to do second hand smoke to children.

HalfDozenMama in my scrapbook room
07/08/13 9:58 am

Super, I don't believe shaming anyone works. How about education, assistance to stop smoking, etc.

jonfrei the boonies
07/07/13 8:31 pm

My f-i-l was a seat-belt advocate from the early '60's -- to the point he was making/installing aftermarket seat belts in 1962. He would not so much as start his car until everyone was buckled up. Until Nebraska passed a seat belt law.

jonfrei the boonies
07/07/13 8:32 pm

He never wore a seat belt again for the rest of his life -- simply because he felt so strongly that the government did not have the right to tell him he had to...

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/08/13 10:00 am

I don't think education will work when so many people know what is happening and they just don't care.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 11:05 pm

class and i'd be out sick for the next three weeks. It was the same every year, yet they made no attempt to get me a doctor's note for Gym class. And in Jr. High I was tested for allergies, so they couldn't say they didn't know I was highly allergic

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 11:11 pm

to their smoke. I loved my parents and they loved me, but their addictions were so strong, they put them before my health and safety. Yes, that's abusive. Yes, there should have been some legal consequences/fines and a court-ordered recovery program.

juge Utah
07/07/13 10:00 pm

Great idea! It should be. We did not choose to smoke and damage our bodies, why should we allow you to?

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/08/13 7:38 am

Congrats! I will remember its my birthday.

juge Utah
07/07/13 10:07 pm

What part of loving and caring are you not understanding ?? To be loving and caring you would be considerate of your child's health and wellness. That's why there are laws to protect our children's health, cause the parents can be downright stupid sometimes.o

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/07/13 8:40 pm

We can't put the government in charge of everything. If parents are so bad why not start Obama Youth cradle to grave the way the government wants it right.

jonfrei the boonies
07/07/13 8:17 pm

Am I advocating smoking around children? No. I took smoking out of the house 32 years ago when my 1st daughter was born. But I did it by choice. Not because some gov't man told me I had to...

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/08/13 3:28 am

If this is abuse then a person should be able to file assault charges against a smoker. Assault from their cig smoke. Absurd and frivolous. Is anyone in any kind of imminent danger? No. Save the police force and court system for the ones who are

PeanutButterJulie Cincinnati
07/08/13 3:28 am

truly harmed. This is too much of a blurred line. Maybe we should fine parents for giving their kid popsicles & cotton candy too? Those aren't good for them either.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/07/13 8:19 pm

I guess I see the argument and may have to switch sides but its just so horrible to have to see those poor little kids in a car with their own parents hot boxing them. I feel like I want a saw, but I guess that's not my place.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/07/13 8:20 pm

That is a good answer and one I can respect. Your comment along with Kris' have made me switch sides on this issue I think. I'm still not completely sure how I feel I guess.

kilokalex Sanity is for the weak
07/07/13 7:57 pm

How bout people who give their child fried food.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/08/13 12:01 am

Thanks, Ariella! Things are better now with more advanced meds. I take Singulair daily, a couple puffs of Symbicort at bedtime, and an Albuterol nebulizer treatment when I need it, but I can breathe well and sing operatic arias, so I thank God!

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/07/13 7:58 pm

I see a bunch of No's, can someone who voted no comment why they voted that way, I wanna hear the arguments for it.

bballard92 taste the rainbow
07/08/13 9:17 am

Secondhand is dangerous, and parents should be courteous enough to step outside for a cigarette, but it's completely legal. There should be no "punishment."

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
07/07/13 8:01 pm

I think in Oregon they are. Good question

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/07/13 8:04 pm

They are supposed to be ticketed when smoking in the car with children but I haven't seen that enforced.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 10:55 pm

I can't get my iPod to type in a font big enough to fully represent my "YES" Both my parents smoked at me until I was away at college - then they finally quit, having given me pneumonia the first six winters of my life and asthmatic bronchitis every

dramaschick All ways in my head
07/07/13 9:00 pm

In the majority of the US it is illegal to smoke around others. You can't smoke in restaurants, a lot of bars, parks, parking lots

Btw I am in love with your name

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/07/13 11:00 pm

Year thereafter. We lived in the Chicago suburbs and I can remember being driven to school in winter in a closed, smoke-filled car, stepping outside and getting a lungful of clean, sub-zero air, and knowing that they'd send us outside to run in Gym

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
07/08/13 7:31 am

K, I'm getting married on Wednesday! :)

holidaex
07/08/13 7:45 pm

What was the question and comment?

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/07/13 8:19 pm

Although I will still express my blatant distaste for those people if I come across them

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
07/08/13 9:45 am

There should be no legal punishment I completely agree, but they should be looked down upon/ignored/treated differently because of those actions by the people who know its happening until they get some not-so-common sense.

LochnessMonster Milky way
07/08/13 9:46 am

True but it's personal choice. I made the best of it. I don't use it as a crutch I don't cry about it. I accept the hand I was given and make something better out of it. Truthfully if it wouldn't have happened I wouldn't be who I am today.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
07/08/13 12:12 am

Ariella, I love you - they should have your picture in the dictionary next to compassionate! I'm so glad you're here on SoH, where I know countless users will be blessed through you.
As to the positive attitude, I'm afraid it not always around . You