Arkansas123 July 2nd, 2013 8:21am

Yesterday was the anniversary of Planned Parenthood v. Danforth (1976). The Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that a married woman has a fundamental right to abortion and that her husband has no authority to veto her choice under any circumstances.

Keldeo Laverre City
07/02/13 6:30 am

I don't support abortion at all. But if it's going to happen, why don't both parents get equal representation? It shows the flaw of the "my body" argument. Daddy put his genes in the baby too.

GetEduc8d learning more everyday
07/02/13 6:49 am

Ummm ......because even though there's an equal share of the genes only one person's body is doing the work of growing the baby. While I don't fully support abortion (I think it should be available for medical ......

GetEduc8d learning more everyday
07/02/13 6:49 am

reasons & case of rape but I'd prefer for rape that the morning after pill be used) I firmly believe that if it is allowed to be a choice, it is the woman's choice & her choice alone.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
07/02/13 5:31 am

How do you know all these "anniversaries"

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
07/02/13 1:36 am

In this case, Planned Parenthood v. Danforth (1976), the Supreme Court invalidated spousal consent laws. In Planned Parenthood v. Casey (1992), the Supreme Court struck down spousal notification laws.

A woman can abort without her husband knowing.

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
07/02/13 1:29 am

I disagree. Assuming that a "right to abortion" exists, I think it is reasonable to attach to marriage the responsibility to obtain consent from the husband before an abortion procedure, excluding cases of spousal rape or maternal health.

EarlyBird Portland
07/02/13 6:42 am

I agree 100%.

bMyComrade Stumptown
07/02/13 10:36 am

It's exactly because of spousal abuse that I agree. How can you input that exception and expect it to be enforceable?

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
07/02/13 12:02 pm

Get the district attorney, a judge, or a physician (not the abortionist) to certify in good faith that it is probable that the woman has suffered abuse; or require the woman to sign a statement saying that rape has occurred under penalty of perjury.

bMyComrade Stumptown
07/02/13 12:41 pm

There's a reason so few women feel brave enough to speak out in situations like that. Lets try not to punish them for being victims.

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
07/02/13 12:47 pm

First, rape is the reason behind one percent of abortions. Second, it would not place an undue burden on the married woman to require her to sign a statement at the same time she is signing the informed consent form.

bMyComrade Stumptown
07/02/13 5:28 pm

I consider it none of my business. That woman's story and her reasons for wanting an abortion are nobody's business but her own. I can't imagine the kind of mental pain behind which would have a married woman feeling like she needs a secret abortion.

MannIsMe Did You Assume My Party
07/02/13 1:26 am

Sometimes I suppose, but the night is still early in Arizona.

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
07/02/13 1:30 am

I woke up to use the restroom and decided to post this question before returning to bed.