Show Of Hands April 12th, 2012 12:00am

Did you have a grandparent who was instrumental in your upbringing? (UserQ)

04/15/12 8:42 am

My grandfather is giving me the knives he inherited to, but one at a time.

snafu Washington
04/14/12 10:50 pm

No. Being the youngest of 8 by the time I was born one grandma was already dead and the other were just old and then died before I hit my teens.

Gingerred primum non nocere
04/14/12 8:32 pm

My MawMaw was the only babysitter I ever had. I love her so much.

hbmyers13
04/14/12 2:12 pm

my grandma rised me a liberal feminst

GirlOnFire Ohio
04/14/12 11:52 am

I'm only 13 so I guess they are instrumental in my upbringing. They only live down the street from me and we visit often.

krys
04/14/12 10:55 am

My mother was unfit to care for me due to her bad life decisions (drugs, prostitution, etc). My father was iffy too. My grandparents took custody of me when I was born and later officially adopted me. So yeah. They fully raised me, and I'm so glad that they did.

04/14/12 9:50 am

Both sets of grandparents were very instrumental in raising my parents to be outstanding people so yeah in a way they were.

spudman Ohio
04/13/12 3:35 pm

Grandparents = free baby sitting.

JaquesV Bentonville, AR
04/13/12 3:20 pm

I voted no because my parents "made it" on their own. I did spend a lot of time with my grandparents, though, and they were instrumental in making me who I am today.

gjb2779
04/13/12 2:51 pm

I love my grandparents & spent a lot of quality time with them as a kid but I wouldn't say the we're instrumental in my upbringing. I've lost both grandpas but still have both grandmas

Murphy
04/13/12 2:38 pm

I had a step-grandmother who was more instrumental than she would have known. All the others passed when I was young.

josb23 Kansas
04/13/12 1:23 pm

we visit about once a month unless they r n tx but not huge

goldy California
04/13/12 12:33 pm

Not really. They were/are too old/weird/far away.

snuzzy
04/13/12 12:09 pm

I'm closer to my grandparents now as an adult. Love them very much!!!

CSGraham
04/13/12 11:54 am

Mainly because they were instrumental in my parent's life.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
04/13/12 10:56 am

@crevvie as for extended family, I fall into the not so closely knit together group. Immediate family is a totally different story on the other hand…

04/13/12 9:06 am

the way I see it, every member of my family was instrumental but I realize I grew up in a very close-knit family unlike some people.

JustSaying
04/13/12 8:32 am

I just want to say I LOVE my granny & miss her everyday.

hippiedude fields of green
04/13/12 7:57 am

My dad and I lived with my grandparents until I was 6 because he had me so young and we are all very close.

04/13/12 7:07 am

And my grandmother on my mother's side was very prim and proper. She was always yelling at my mom that we were too loud. lol. But she made some goooooood scones and my mom always regretted she never got the recipe. My grandfather died a few months before I was born so I never got to know him

04/13/12 7:02 am

My parents did most of the upbringing, but my grandmother on my dad's side would help when needed. Me and my sisters would beg to go to her house when we needed to be babysitted. We used to drive my grandfather nuts with our screaming though

04/13/12 6:24 am

Mom was nutty and Dad worked a ton. Thank you Gma & Gpa for EVERYTHING. R.I.P.

sukiemac Michigan
04/13/12 5:37 am

Never knew my grandparents. Wish i had

JohnnyC
04/13/12 4:19 am

yes, but not in a good way.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
04/13/12 3:55 am

I only had two grandparents for a while anyway (one from each side), but I don't think any of them were instrumental in my early years. They helped with things here and there, but my parents did/do 99% of everything.

04/13/12 3:32 am

All my grandparents were instrumental in my upbringing. My parents really understood the whole it takes a village philosophy. My entire extended family was close, especially on my mother's side. My son now knows all my cousins as aunts and uncles.

AnnieM The Island
04/13/12 3:32 am

in my young childhood, my mother, father and grandmother probably took care of us about 1/3 of the time each, so yeah, my grandma had a pretty big part in my upbringing.

04/13/12 12:40 am

I loved my grandma on my fathers side and we exchanged letters for many years.
Didn't ever like my Grandpa though.
Good riddance I say...

Rosebud Ohio
04/13/12 12:21 am

Yes and no. She's an honorary grandmother, and up till 8 when we moved into a new home.
My great grandpa also instilled my set of ethics, at least some of them. He was an amazing amazing man who I miss dearly...

TallyLu80 Oklahoma
04/12/12 11:11 pm

My father left my mother when I was born. In turn, his mother and father helped raise me. They have always been there for me, and now my children as well! Idk what I would do without them!

cabooseftw Illinois
04/12/12 11:06 pm

Yes. My moms parents babysat us while my parents were at work until we were about 15. I learned a lot from them.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
04/12/12 10:32 pm

My grandmother was my love source growing up so was grandpa. I don't think I would have survived if not for them.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
04/12/12 10:19 pm

Both my grandfathers knew how to laugh, be kind and caring. When my first grandfather died, there were sooo sooo many people that I never knew that came to honor his kindness. They literally could not all fit in the building and stood around the building. I personally witnessed his generosity.

PPartyFree
04/12/12 9:47 pm

My grandparents were part of the Greatest Generation. Many of their common sense values were passed along to me. What they lacked in monetary wealth they made up for in having a strong character and strong personal integrity.

psycho44
04/12/12 9:02 pm

My grandma and gramps raised 2 of her siblings because her parents died at early age and also me and my sister since we were one and baby sat my other siblings and my cousins their is no one that can compare with loving grandparents especially also in cooking.lol

seeker7 Pennsylvania
04/12/12 9:01 pm

She now lives**** not she mow lives.

seeker7 Pennsylvania
04/12/12 9:01 pm

But every day I am thankful for the wonderfully strong woman she taught me how to be. She has diabetes. Is a breast cancer survivor. And has had two strokes that affected both sides of her body. She is a fighter and I love her so much.

seeker7 Pennsylvania
04/12/12 8:59 pm

I moved in with my grandparents when I was eight. My grandfather passed away before I turned nine. Continued living with my grandmother until I was nineteen when she moved to live closer to her siblings. She mow lives in a home.......

PSU.labtech
04/12/12 8:54 pm

My mom had me when she was only 16; so my grandparents raised me until I was 12. I love them very much and I am still very close with them both.

crquinones
04/12/12 8:39 pm

I remember my grandfather fondly although i dont remember that much about him (died in 2nd grade) but my gramma was AWESOME. She covered my butt all the time, and taught me to crochet and make polichintas. She died when i was 19. Now im out of grand parents

sheriboo
04/12/12 8:18 pm

I adored my Nanny and Poppa. I spent many weekends and vacations with them until my parents decided to move much closer to them. Then I was with them all the time! I miss them both dearly.

canecorso Las Vegas Nv
04/12/12 8:15 pm

My maternal grandparents were around, grandmother still is but they weren't involved with my upbringing. I was closer to my grandfather but act like my grandmother.

Shellyleft Vermont
04/12/12 8:11 pm

So sad most people have said no, mine were alive til my late 30's. They helped raise me along with my parents.

04/12/12 8:11 pm

My grandpa & grandma were like a second set of parents & spent every weekend with me. 4/10 was the first anniversary of my grandfather's death. Seeing this question made me think of him so thank you to whoever sent this in. He was a huge part of my life and a spectacular man. Same to my grandma.

Happy2 California
04/12/12 8:08 pm

My grandmother taught me to read. I'm a little dyslexic, and it took a lot of work.

dancestar8 Pennsylvania
04/12/12 7:27 pm

My grandparents baby sat my brother, sister, and me all the time when we were younger. Especially from ages 3-9 (ish) after school and before school. Not because my parents were lazy but because they had to work hard to make a living to be able to raise us.

04/12/12 7:25 pm

Never had a grandpa really, have a nice grandma and one that's well, evil heart black than don cheadle

Zod Above Pugetropolis
04/12/12 7:14 pm

My grandparents were great, but we didn't live nearby and never got that close. Even so, I have good memories of them and am glad to have had them around well into my adulthood.

2Bfree New York
04/12/12 7:10 pm

I was blessed with 2 amazing grandparents!

And 2 alcoholic, mean old meanies.