Show Of Hands December 2nd, 2012 12:00am

Should an increase in estate/inheritance tax be included in a "fiscal cliff" deal?

wmgill
12/09/12 3:25 pm

This money has already been taxed several times, no need to get that last bite at the apple when they are dead. Taxing people just because they had the nerve to die is just wrong.

meeksb11
12/08/12 9:56 pm

Of course not. I dont believe in it to begin with. That money has already been taxed. You can give money away tax-free while living, its called charity, why should you be taxed just because youre dead?

truth1 Florida
12/07/12 12:32 pm

Despite my many liberal positions this is one reason I could never be a democrat. Grave robbing psychopaths

d2acc11 Ohio
12/05/12 6:52 am

Payroll tax, if I recall correctly, isn't counted in income tax. Why don't the 2% get off their high horse and pay taxes like everyone else?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/05/12 5:30 am

If our Federal government performed only those functions which it is Constitutionally mandated to perform, we could cut spending by a lot more than 40%. If I had my way, we would have a Federal budget locked in at 10% of GDP. Any growth in revenue would only be as a result of economic growth.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/05/12 5:23 am

@Think, Good heavens, don't give them ideas!

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/05/12 5:15 am

Technically, it wouldn't get rid of the debt. Not very quickly anyways. The only thing that will blitz our debt and get it paid off in a hurry will be huge spending cuts, and a change of the entitlement mentality. Which I'm all for. I agree that everyone should chip in something though.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
12/05/12 5:10 am

Of course not! What kind of dumbass suggests such a thing? We already have family farms and businesses being lost because folks can't afford the death tax. What's wrong with children getting to carry on the family business without getting financially ass-raped for the privilege?

pitteas 92103
12/04/12 3:28 pm

Lots of people are apparently drinking the cool aid on the "death tax" that repubs have been serving. In reality, the ones being taxed are the lucky relatives who never worked for that money anyways. Don't forget that the first $2mm are exempted. Only less than 1% of people will ever be affected.

cowboy Doors of Perception
12/04/12 12:15 pm

Of course not. But who knows what the Repubs will give up.

babyboomer1 The flatulance express
12/04/12 7:53 am

People work their lives so as to leave their families something and the government walks up and then wants their cut of what has already been taxed. My answer is NOT! Yes, that's all caps and an exclamation point

chi
12/04/12 6:57 am

NO! The government needs to stop milking us for money. They need to make serious cuts on their end. We work too hard for it.

thertaylor
12/04/12 6:21 am

That's a BS tax anyhow. That money has already been taxed.

Think Lovin Life
12/03/12 9:40 pm

One thing that is sickeningly ironic is that secular progressives will vehemently defend the child murder's protection from "double jeopardy" under the law, and then insist on double taxation of the killer's estate.

Without a moral compass, secular progressive hypocrisy has no bound.

Think Lovin Life
12/03/12 9:33 pm

Careful Jonny, you arguing against your hero, MrO. Given that the inheritance was taxed once as income, it shouldn't be taxed again as a gift.

BobC
12/03/12 9:00 pm

No tax increases...period. You Obama ass eating idiots are jerks.

roybiker12
12/03/12 7:33 pm

Keep as much money out of the hands of those in Washington as possible.

ntvtxn62
12/03/12 5:03 pm

No- workers are taxed all their life & then when they die. Why not get the 47% off their asses & pay taxes? No debt then.

EarlyBird Portland
12/03/12 12:19 pm

RJ- I hope you come back to this post and explain what you're getting at. I'm not following you.

EarlyBird Portland
12/03/12 12:16 pm

Carabella - I beg to differ. I'm not sure where you found the statistic but would love to see it.

MrWolfe Nashville
12/03/12 11:39 am

Because the government enjoys making money it didn't earn?

12/03/12 10:10 am

the money was already taxed, why tax it again

jonny323
12/03/12 10:03 am

All presents are taxed. Every heard of sales tax?

navystu
12/03/12 9:55 am

That money has already been taxed once, it doesn't need to be taxed again.

Think Lovin Life
12/03/12 9:26 am

The entire tempest was manufactured by MrO as another attempt to divide the country and steal what some have to give to others.

If you want it, earn it.

Think Lovin Life
12/03/12 9:26 am

If you want it, earn it.

jonny323
12/03/12 9:08 am

Are you trying to say that taxes in general are regressive? Are you trying to say that regressive taxes are wrong?

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/03/12 9:07 am

All I am saying is liberals want to act like rich people are the only ones who are greedy when they (the liberals) are not only being greedy but mixing envy with it.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
12/03/12 8:58 am

your family will have to pay half of their inheritance in taxes...plus there are death taxes, estate taxes. what is wrong with this picture? you're grieving over a family member and you have to pay taxes because they DIED?? who came up with that dumb shit..I cannot comprehend that.

Liberty 4,032,064
12/03/12 8:36 am

There's nothing immoral about taking part of a dying father's last gift to his children?

Weave77 Indianapolis
12/03/12 8:35 am

Hell to the no. One, that money has ALREADY been taxed. Two, how many people have to sell the family home, property, business, etc. just to pay a huge "transfer fee" after their parents die? I know that I want what I earned over a lifetime of hard work to go to those whom I was working for- my kids.

omniku dot com
12/03/12 8:24 am

Actually, I misread your statement. I thought you were saying...
Liberal) individuals are greedy
Conservative) the government is greedy

Truth is... They're both right!!

omniku dot com
12/03/12 8:16 am

It's funny cuz it's true :)

NUwriter
12/03/12 7:45 am

Kelly, ALL taxation is immoral. To quote Robert Nozick, "Taxation of earnings from labor is on a par with forced labor. Seizing the results of someone’s labor is equivalent to seizing hours from him and directing him to carry on various activities."

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
12/03/12 7:31 am

And who said big government is utopia? Not me. Seriously. Go look. Never have I ever said that big government is better. I just don't automatically believe that small government is better. There's a huge difference. One view is ideological. The other is practical.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/03/12 7:29 am

Examples of greed as defined by each party:

Liberal) You have worked hard all your life and earned a bunch of money and now you want to keep it.
Conservative) You have a bunch of money and I want some of it.

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
12/03/12 7:25 am

Kelly: "Necessary expenditures"? The governments "necessary expenditures are outline in the enumerated powers. PERIOD. everything else is WASTE! PLEASE stop posting your version of what you *think* the founders wanted just to fit your "bigger government = utopia" template.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
12/03/12 7:25 am

Luckily I don't spend my life striving to win the approval of people, then, right? Or then I'd be seriously ashamed of being the laughingstock of conservatives.

Think Lovin Life
12/03/12 7:23 am

Roy ... I'm pretty sure you meant to say "... Confirmed spending CUTS ...". And I agree.

MrO wants to talk about his fake cuts, money that would NEVER have been spent. Shame in MrO for thinking wouldn't see thru his little lies!

geoag02 Dallas, TX
12/03/12 7:21 am

If we had that much in reserve that would not be fair to other less fortunate countries. We should give at least half of it to Europe to help them pay off all their irresponsible spending.</sarcasm>

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
12/03/12 7:20 am

but there's nothing inherently immoral or illogical about the tax. The argument is over whether it's useful and necessary, and you sound foolish when you don't make that distinction.

anarchy GET OFF MY LAWN
12/03/12 7:20 am

An estate tax is immoral.

Think Lovin Life
12/03/12 7:20 am

Kelly ... You are the pathetic hope of Democrats and the laughing stock of conservatives. You simply don't get it!

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
12/03/12 7:19 am

All of your examples make no sense and don't have anything to do with the issue at hand. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

I'm all for reasonable spending cuts, and I can definitely be talked out of the inheritance tax (it affects me personally; see below) ...

Think Lovin Life
12/03/12 7:08 am

Kelly ... I knew you'd hope to take the cowardly way out! That's why I gave several examples. A, it looks like you're the idiot!

The fact is that even if the government confiscated everything from every dead person, it wouldn't be enough to cover the childish spending of Democrats. It mus stop!

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
12/03/12 7:05 am

Your two year old is a dependent, dumbass. And gifts over a certain amount ARE taxed.

This is because one if our original values was personal hard work and not depending on an aristocracy. The founders didn't WANT huge inheritances; it was considered un-American.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
12/03/12 7:02 am

It's not "stealing". The government has the right to raise income for necessary expenditures and therefore to tax at appropriate points in the economy. There are plenty of arguments against it without resorting to inflammatory language.

roybiker12
12/03/12 7:01 am

Unfortunately you can not build the welfare state on the backs of the 1%. Obama has to come after each and every one of us to pay for his ideas.