Dazey June 2nd, 2014 11:34am

My grandparents, while fairly young and very healthy, decided to move into a retirement home so their kids would never have to decide for them. My parents insist on living independently. Are/Were you prepared to decide when your parents are ready?

elusive Sactown
06/04/14 1:29 am

I'm not on speaking terms with mine.. But they're covered. My older bro will take care of them.

emmbeedee Arkansas
06/03/14 8:09 pm

My Mom moved into an assisted living facility last May. It was her decision but my brother & I would have made it had she not. She'd fallen and broken her pelvis and spent over a month in the hospital. There was no way she could live alone any more.

king9975 Dallas, TX
06/03/14 7:13 pm

My parents absolutely insist on going into assisted living after what my mom has gone thru taking care of her mother.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
06/03/14 5:47 pm

It is a fine line. My mom passed at 60, so it was a non-issue. I live with & care for Dad, now. We can't afford outside help, but I doubt he would tolerate it if he could. If it ever gets to a point that I can't care for him, then I will make the

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
06/03/14 5:55 pm

decision. I have power of attorney, but I would discuss it with him.
My paternal grandmother cared for my grandfather at home & we cared for her. My maternal grandmother fell & broke her hip. She had a bad reaction to the anesthesia. She ended

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
06/03/14 5:58 pm

in a rehab facility & eventually a long-term care facility. (It was less than a year total.) My maternal grandfather is still living alone. I may have to eventually make that decision with him, but I pray that he just goes quickly. He's 91.

kjs Minnesota
06/03/14 4:25 pm

My parents made their own decisions. My mother would never listen to us kids. On the other hand, my mother-in-law lived with us for 25 years because she had macular degeneration. She couldn't live by herself.

waterstar
06/03/14 12:54 pm

My MIL lives with us now and continue to until we can't meet her needs here

chickencookie Jihad Joe
06/03/14 11:59 am

We had no plans in place and it was a difficult decision for us. We took of my mother for 8 years till we couldn't anymore but she was well cared for and the place was lovely.

curtron basement of the Alamo
06/03/14 8:51 am

My siblings and I always joke that we'll just put my dad in a home and my mom can do whatever she wants. My dad's turning into quite the crotchety old man.

Iamamerican California
06/03/14 8:39 am

My hubby and I lost our parents before they retired, so we aren't sure what decision we will make for ourselves. Kinda scary.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
06/03/14 8:23 am

Partly depends on the individual parent in question. Some would rather "not be a bother." Some are fiercely independent. Some have serious health issues family would overwhelm. Have to take each situation on own merits & issues.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
06/03/14 8:27 am

In our case, we've been very honest & clear about what we'd want/wouldn't & how we feel about various options available under various possible circumstances they might face. Also have made preliminary arrangements as we are able.

Injectable Trump Killed Babbitt
06/03/14 8:07 am

"I'll die if you stick me in one of those living graves" -Grandma

Sure enough on night 1...

nicolebliss31
06/03/14 8:04 am

If they can't care for themselves then I would have to

Spartacus AUSTIN
06/03/14 6:11 am

I put my mother into an alhzeimer's care unit last year.

susanr Colorado
06/02/14 8:23 pm

Fortunately it wasn't an issue for my parents.

jvc1133 61535
06/02/14 6:27 am

If they can leave their graves, okay with me

Wa2xpnsv4u Tennessee
06/02/14 5:36 am

If they cannot take care of themselves or we can't, we will move them into an assisted living. My in laws are having to think about that with my mother in law's mom :-(

phillofPF
06/02/14 5:20 am

If it comes to that end, my mom won't see the inside of a nursing home..I doubt she would go willingly anyway...

Dazey Beagles Rule
06/02/14 6:03 am

There wasn't enough space to include the "move in with me" angle. lol

phillofPF
06/02/14 8:04 am

I almost put that int comment but them I thought "she probably wouldn't want that either... Would just take care of her, in her home, that's what she wants, that what she gets.