BamaGirl June 2nd, 2014 12:37am

Are you, a family member, or close friend living gluten free? (If so, please comment as to why.)

revp01
06/03/14 6:02 am

I did for a while then I finally found the products that were not gluten free that were causing me problems. I just avoid those.

rons on top of the world MA
06/03/14 4:57 am

No reason to unless you have a medical reason.

grondini Mainer in NC
06/03/14 12:32 am

My sister is GF - she has celiac disease. She was diagnosed around age 20 after after having multiple digestive symptoms and problems with nutrient malabsorption/anemia. The diagnosis was confirmed with a biopsy of her small bowel.

grondini Mainer in NC
06/03/14 12:34 am

She's been GF for about 9 years now, and is having her first child in a few weeks. Since celiac disease can have a genetic component, her and her husband will be speaking with a geneticist to help them decide whether they should raise their child GF.

grondini Mainer in NC
06/03/14 12:37 am

Luckily, my parents and I do NOT have celiac disease; no idea WHAT I would do without being able to enjoy craft beer...(other than lose a bit of weight perhaps...;) )

RossDMands Miami Township, OH
06/02/14 9:31 pm

My cousin has a child diagnosed with autism. A close friend of the family, a nutritionist, pointed out that autism was over diagnosed based on arbitrary symptoms. She recommended switching to a gluten free diet to see if it was a metabolic disorder.

RossDMands Miami Township, OH
06/02/14 9:32 pm

It was. The difference was night & day. He just a regular kid now... except he can't share food with the other kids.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
06/02/14 12:32 pm

My daughter-in-law, my grandson, and my sons partner all G F

madeit Houston Area
06/01/14 10:11 pm

Crunch master crackers are delicious! If you can't find them, I've been ordering them off of Amazon. Try that.

06/02/14 5:19 am

Was getting them there until I found a local grocer carries them in their deli area! But bigger selection @ Amazon. We get lots of stuff via Amazon Subscribe & Save program. Bob's Red Mill GF Muesli awesome in yogurt. Big BRM fan for decades!

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
06/01/14 7:51 pm

I try to avoid gluten. I'm not particularly sensitive to it, but it is a known trigger for a chronic illness I suffer from. So most products I have at home are gluten free.

06/01/14 9:21 pm

Really only reason I bothered trying it was to see if made other things better. At first I didn't notice anything dramatic either way. After a year I was seeing measurable improvements... & getting violent physical reactions after eating gluten.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
06/01/14 9:25 pm

I have much more control over my health now by constricting my gluten intake. I've found that my episodes are less frequent and less taxing. I also recover much quicker.

06/01/14 9:27 pm

I had no idea my body wasn't happy w/gluten, but now it's not worth it. I don't as many migraines and fewer migraine clusters & they are both significantly less severe & go away much faster. That alone is worth avoiding gluten!

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
06/01/14 9:38 pm

It does have surprising benefits for many people. I was skeptical until I experienced the effects myself.

06/01/14 9:43 pm

I was simply desperate for relief from persistent migraines & picked up any "bug" going around. After looking at the basic concept it wasn't really a huge departure from what we ate anyway. Hubby's psoriasis is 75% better than anything else had done.

06/01/14 10:03 pm

I agree. I was skeptical, but we have seen amazing results!

jvberg Winter has Come
06/01/14 7:21 pm

nope, but there's no health benefits from living a gluten free diet for those who don't have negative effects from gluten

146787456777 .......
06/01/14 6:52 pm

yes when I was a teenager I used to get these horrible itchy hives all over my legs, and for a long time the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong. They finally ran a gluten test, luckily I didn't have Celiac disease, but a skin condition called

146787456777 .......
06/01/14 6:53 pm

Dermatitis Herpetiformitis. I've never itched so bad in my life. thankfully after I switched to gluten free it went away, but it took another year for it to clear up entirely. Horrible experience.

06/01/14 6:57 pm

I am so glad that it worked for you!

06/01/14 7:00 pm

Being GF has cleared up or helped MANY of my health issues, including some skin issues.

146787456777 .......
06/01/14 7:06 pm

thanks :) me too, I think would have gone insane if I had to live with that itching for the rest of my life lol. It took me a few years to get used to avoiding gluten, but now I hardly think about it anymore, its become so automatic.

Bekka Just relaxing...
06/01/14 7:42 pm

My friend is gluten free for the same reason. His doctor tested him as a last ditch measure and was surprised to find the gluten intolerance. Being gf has helped his skin problems immensely.

06/01/14 6:43 pm

Hubby & I chose GF becuz we both have health issues gluten supposedly exacerbates. We started as a test, w/no end in mind. That was over 2 yrs ago now. We both experienced measurable improvement in several conditions for which we decided to test.

06/01/14 6:46 pm

The way we are doing it has been very painless, economical, & hasn't posed any particular hardship so we've not found a particularly good reason to stop. We rarely buy any specialty GF ready-made, just focus on naturally GF foods & been creative.

06/01/14 6:51 pm

Dad LOVES crackers, so I buy him GF crackers, but otherwise, I mostly focus on naturally GF, too. Other packaged GF products are just for treats around here.

06/01/14 7:14 pm

Oh yeah. Forgot about crackers. Only ones I've found I like are CrunchMasters. Peanut Butter & crackers sometimes are only thing that'll hit the spot. I buy a bag or 2 a year when I just can't stand it anymore. :-)

06/01/14 8:29 pm

Crunchmaster is what Dad eats. I like many of Glutino's crackers & Food Should Taste Good's Brown Rice crackers.

06/01/14 8:59 pm

I've tried a bunch of different ones, but the only I've worth the special effort are CrunchMasters. Found them at Costco first time but they've disappeared from there since. :-(

06/01/14 10:01 pm

I think our Costco still has them, but they did rearrange the store, so they are in a completely different area. Maybe they just moved them at yours, too.

06/02/14 1:36 am

Breton has a GF line that taste AMAZING!!! They aren't worth the price for me unless I can get them on sale.

06/02/14 5:06 am

No. We *scoured Costco several times to find them then finally asked. Gone. Just a trial or something. Breton has GF crackers? Really? They make several of my fav reg crackers! Haven't seen that. That could be bad. I'm very frugal! LOL!

06/02/14 5:10 am

Visiting daughter; she offered me a *really* good Mike's Hard Mango drink w/dinner last night. Wasn't. Even. Thinking. OMG! After just few sips stomach blew up!!! We are taking a long trip today but think I'll be ok cuz I lost *all* dinner! Better...

06/02/14 5:14 am

Moral? Malt liquor drinks & GF do not mix!!! Hardly drank any, thank goodness! Worst reaction ever! Now wish I'd ralphed last 2 times cuz doing so much better, relatively, faster. Took a bunch of gluten enzyme caps but just getting it *out* = better!

06/02/14 9:08 am

Sorry you had a rough night!!! Have a good day!

06/02/14 10:16 pm

After second round of ralphing was able to sleep about 4 hrs. Yogurt & ginger tea & more "gluteneze" = better. *Miserable* whole day but better than last night! Still extremely uncomfortable & bloated but seems better. Won't *ever* do *that* again!

gallae Michigan
06/01/14 6:39 pm

My roommate is gluten free. She had me try it for a week and it was extremely difficult. There is gluten in things you would never expect.

06/01/14 6:44 pm

That is true. The hidden gluten is nuts! Some studies have indicated that wheat is addictive as heroin, so the withdrawals are intense.

gallae Michigan
06/01/14 6:48 pm

Yes, I did experience some slight withdraws because it was a normal diet one day and GF the next. Although I have not heard how addictive it is, and that withdraw symptoms are normal.

06/01/14 6:50 pm

We've learned to read labels very carefully. Doing so has caused us to change *brands* on many items but we've not found many things there isn't a "not specially GF product." It is true that *lots* of things have gluten added. But lots don't.

gallae Michigan
06/01/14 6:53 pm

My roomie is always complaining about the cost of things that are specifically GF. And she is always so thankful for things that are normal priced and GF :)

06/01/14 6:53 pm

Label reading is the key! Being a Southerner, Campbell's condensed cream of whatever soups was the biggest change for us.

06/01/14 6:58 pm

Periodically we buy a loaf of GF bread for grilled cheese sandwiches. Hubby likes pancakes & we've found a GF mix he likes that isn't too bad for a diabetic. Maybe once a month he makes pancakes; I pass. We eat GF Chex & GF Rice Krispies. That's it.

06/01/14 7:02 pm

Otherwise we just pass on breads, choosing corn tortillas/chips instead. Lots fresh fruit/veggies, beans & nuts, eggs & dairy, & naturally GF whole grains - especially Quinoa that we've gotten very creative with! I've gotten 2 GF brownie mixes 2 yrs

06/01/14 7:08 pm

Reading labels, being creative, & focusing on what we *can* eat GF rather than on what isn't. And we've both lost a little weight. Oh! We also eat lots of fresh fish & lean meats.

06/01/14 8:19 pm

We are also eating "cleaner" now.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/01/14 6:29 pm

No, we still pay for all our gluten. How do we get it for free?

06/01/14 7:08 pm

Just for you, I should have used gluten-free instead. :)

06/01/14 5:56 pm

I am VERY gluten intolerant. My dad is, too. We not only eat gluten free, but recently noticed that we were having a reaction to lotions, body wash, shampoo, & conditioner. We have switched to GF beauty products & are MUCH better.

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 6:05 pm

How would gluten in substances you apply to your skin get through your skin?

06/01/14 6:13 pm

First, gluten intolerance is not limited to digestive issues. Many have skin issues related to gluten. Secondarily, about 90% of the things you put on hands eventually end up in your mouth.

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 6:16 pm

I wonder if the skin issues are allergies. It really doesn't make much sense to me otherwise. (Understand I'm no expert, though.) But about the hand-to-mouth route, definitely. Hard to imagine there's much gluten in, say, a shampoo, that would

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 6:16 pm

actually be ingested & cause problems in the GI tract.

chickencookie
06/01/14 5:53 pm

I don't but feel bad for that have it.

06/01/14 6:03 pm

CC, thanks. It is overwhelming at first, but once you see the difference (if you are sensitive or celiac), then you realize it is worth it like anyone with a food sensitivity.

swjboucher Just Run
06/01/14 5:49 pm

Not 100% but my son and daughter in law tries to minimize gluten within their family.

06/01/14 6:01 pm

Why? If they do not have Celiac Disease & are not gluten sensitive/intolerant, then there really isn't a reason to avoid it health wise.

swjboucher Just Run
06/01/14 6:04 pm

Many foods contain gluten which can build up in your system overtime. As with anything moderation is key.

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 6:09 pm

How does gluten "build up in your system over time"? Where does it go? Do you know what the symptoms of celiac disease and GS are and why some people avoid gluten?

swjboucher Just Run
06/01/14 6:19 pm

Susan
Yes I do.

06/01/14 6:23 pm

Sw, so they are concerned about inflammation building up in their systems? That makes sense.

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 5:45 pm

One of my ex-sisters-outlaw, for gluten sensitivity - which I question, but her choice of diet doesn't really affect or bother me. She's also lactose intolerant. Whenever we're all together, once a year or so for some days, we accommodate

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 5:46 pm

everyone's diets (ranging from vegetarian to omnivore plus various sensitivities) very well.

06/01/14 5:59 pm

Why do you question her gluten sensitivity?

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 6:03 pm

I question non-celiac GS in general, & maybe hers in particular because she's been on several restrictive diets over the 50 years I've known her, each if which has made her feel better & healthier - until she finds another one to try, & segues into

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 6:04 pm

that - and feels better & healthier. But it really doesn't matter to me with her personally, as I said. Whatever she wants to eat is fine with me, especially since it's all very healthful in general. We all (our family) have our own food quirks.

06/01/14 6:11 pm

She sounds like she might be a bit off-kilter, so she might not be an example of NCGS (non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity). I KNOW that my dad & I have NCGS. (If we don't then, we have an allergy to something in wheat, barley, & rye products.) I have

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 6:11 pm

I'm not saying there's no such thing as non-celiac GS. I just question it in general, & think that WAY too many people think they have it. Just because they've heard about it (without understanding even what it is at all) & assume gluten is evil.

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 6:13 pm

Yeah, it could be an allergy to wheat, too. I don't know how the symptoms differ, but I'm pretty sure that, at least, is medically testable/diagnosable. Part of the problem with GS is that it *isn't* (as far as I'm aware) - that makes it harder

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 6:14 pm

to study it very well, too, which is really too bad.

06/01/14 6:16 pm

an area in my abdomen that gets hot & bloats/swells when I eat anything that contains or has been contaminated by gluten. I have spent most of my life thinking it was normal for that to happen after you eat, until I became GF & noticed that it only

06/01/14 6:16 pm

happens when I eat something that contains gluten or has been contaminated.

06/01/14 6:26 pm

There is a GS test, but the believe it is only accurate about 60% or less of the time. Most insurances won't cover wheat allergy testing & it is expensive, so very few are tested for it. I do know that I have reacted to something that only contained

06/01/14 6:27 pm

Barley, so it isn't just wheat for me.

06/02/14 5:31 am

Wheat, barley & rye grain contain gluten that triggers gluten intolerance for those who react badly. I had to stop eating rye products in my 20s because it triggers cold sores every time. I miss pumpernickel bread. :-( Just not worth 2 ugly weeks!

06/01/14 5:59 pm

Gluten free is not only a fad diet. Yes, sadly the fad diet folks have adopted it, but for many people, like myself, it is a health issue.

MJSeals Legal Eagle soon
06/01/14 6:12 pm

For My cousin it is.

06/01/14 6:28 pm

MJ, it is people like that who hurt those of us with a medical reason to be GF.

voc I am...what I am
06/01/14 5:38 pm

I have a friend I work with who is because of headaches

inge MIA
06/01/14 5:45 pm

Same. She says it's made a huge difference.

06/01/14 5:57 pm

Before I was GF, I had migraines monthly at a minimum. I have had two in the last year & a half or so. (I have been GF since Oct. '12.)