BamaGirl June 2nd, 2014 12:37am

Are you, a family member, or close friend living gluten free? (If so, please comment as to why.)

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
06/01/14 6:29 pm

No, we still pay for all our gluten. How do we get it for free?

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
06/01/14 9:25 pm

I have much more control over my health now by constricting my gluten intake. I've found that my episodes are less frequent and less taxing. I also recover much quicker.

06/01/14 6:44 pm

That is true. The hidden gluten is nuts! Some studies have indicated that wheat is addictive as heroin, so the withdrawals are intense.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
06/01/14 9:38 pm

It does have surprising benefits for many people. I was skeptical until I experienced the effects myself.

146787456777 .......
06/01/14 6:52 pm

yes when I was a teenager I used to get these horrible itchy hives all over my legs, and for a long time the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong. They finally ran a gluten test, luckily I didn't have Celiac disease, but a skin condition called

146787456777 .......
06/01/14 6:53 pm

Dermatitis Herpetiformitis. I've never itched so bad in my life. thankfully after I switched to gluten free it went away, but it took another year for it to clear up entirely. Horrible experience.

voc Hey
06/01/14 5:38 pm

I have a friend I work with who is because of headaches

06/01/14 9:43 pm

I was simply desperate for relief from persistent migraines & picked up any "bug" going around. After looking at the basic concept it wasn't really a huge departure from what we ate anyway. Hubby's psoriasis is 75% better than anything else had done.

inge MIA
06/01/14 5:45 pm

Same. She says it's made a huge difference.

146787456777 .......
06/01/14 7:06 pm

thanks :) me too, I think would have gone insane if I had to live with that itching for the rest of my life lol. It took me a few years to get used to avoiding gluten, but now I hardly think about it anymore, its become so automatic.

06/01/14 10:03 pm

I agree. I was skeptical, but we have seen amazing results!

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
06/01/14 7:51 pm

I try to avoid gluten. I'm not particularly sensitive to it, but it is a known trigger for a chronic illness I suffer from. So most products I have at home are gluten free.

jvberg Winter has Come
06/01/14 7:21 pm

nope, but there's no health benefits from living a gluten free diet for those who don't have negative effects from gluten

06/01/14 9:27 pm

I had no idea my body wasn't happy w/gluten, but now it's not worth it. I don't as many migraines and fewer migraine clusters & they are both significantly less severe & go away much faster. That alone is worth avoiding gluten!

06/01/14 6:43 pm

Hubby & I chose GF becuz we both have health issues gluten supposedly exacerbates. We started as a test, w/no end in mind. That was over 2 yrs ago now. We both experienced measurable improvement in several conditions for which we decided to test.

swjboucher Just Run
06/01/14 6:04 pm

Many foods contain gluten which can build up in your system overtime. As with anything moderation is key.

06/01/14 6:46 pm

The way we are doing it has been very painless, economical, & hasn't posed any particular hardship so we've not found a particularly good reason to stop. We rarely buy any specialty GF ready-made, just focus on naturally GF foods & been creative.

gallae Michigan
06/01/14 6:48 pm

Yes, I did experience some slight withdraws because it was a normal diet one day and GF the next. Although I have not heard how addictive it is, and that withdraw symptoms are normal.

06/01/14 6:50 pm

We've learned to read labels very carefully. Doing so has caused us to change *brands* on many items but we've not found many things there isn't a "not specially GF product." It is true that *lots* of things have gluten added. But lots don't.

06/02/14 5:19 am

Was getting them there until I found a local grocer carries them in their deli area! But bigger selection @ Amazon. We get lots of stuff via Amazon Subscribe & Save program. Bob's Red Mill GF Muesli awesome in yogurt. Big BRM fan for decades!

06/01/14 6:13 pm

First, gluten intolerance is not limited to digestive issues. Many have skin issues related to gluten. Secondarily, about 90% of the things you put on hands eventually end up in your mouth.

gallae Michigan
06/01/14 6:53 pm

My roomie is always complaining about the cost of things that are specifically GF. And she is always so thankful for things that are normal priced and GF :)

06/01/14 6:53 pm

Label reading is the key! Being a Southerner, Campbell's condensed cream of whatever soups was the biggest change for us.

06/01/14 8:19 pm

We are also eating "cleaner" now.

06/01/14 6:57 pm

I am so glad that it worked for you!

06/01/14 7:00 pm

Being GF has cleared up or helped MANY of my health issues, including some skin issues.

Bekka Just relaxing...
06/01/14 7:42 pm

My friend is gluten free for the same reason. His doctor tested him as a last ditch measure and was surprised to find the gluten intolerance. Being gf has helped his skin problems immensely.

madeit Houston Area
06/01/14 10:11 pm

Crunch master crackers are delicious! If you can't find them, I've been ordering them off of Amazon. Try that.

06/01/14 9:21 pm

Really only reason I bothered trying it was to see if made other things better. At first I didn't notice anything dramatic either way. After a year I was seeing measurable improvements... & getting violent physical reactions after eating gluten.

gallae Michigan
06/01/14 6:39 pm

My roommate is gluten free. She had me try it for a week and it was extremely difficult. There is gluten in things you would never expect.

06/01/14 5:59 pm

Gluten free is not only a fad diet. Yes, sadly the fad diet folks have adopted it, but for many people, like myself, it is a health issue.

06/01/14 6:03 pm

CC, thanks. It is overwhelming at first, but once you see the difference (if you are sensitive or celiac), then you realize it is worth it like anyone with a food sensitivity.

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 6:05 pm

How would gluten in substances you apply to your skin get through your skin?

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
06/02/14 12:32 pm

My daughter-in-law, my grandson, and my sons partner all G F

06/02/14 5:06 am

No. We *scoured Costco several times to find them then finally asked. Gone. Just a trial or something. Breton has GF crackers? Really? They make several of my fav reg crackers! Haven't seen that. That could be bad. I'm very frugal! LOL!

06/02/14 5:14 am

Moral? Malt liquor drinks & GF do not mix!!! Hardly drank any, thank goodness! Worst reaction ever! Now wish I'd ralphed last 2 times cuz doing so much better, relatively, faster. Took a bunch of gluten enzyme caps but just getting it *out* = better!

MJSeals Esq.
06/01/14 6:12 pm

For My cousin it is.

06/01/14 6:51 pm

Dad LOVES crackers, so I buy him GF crackers, but otherwise, I mostly focus on naturally GF, too. Other packaged GF products are just for treats around here.

06/01/14 6:16 pm

an area in my abdomen that gets hot & bloats/swells when I eat anything that contains or has been contaminated by gluten. I have spent most of my life thinking it was normal for that to happen after you eat, until I became GF & noticed that it only

06/02/14 5:31 am

Wheat, barley & rye grain contain gluten that triggers gluten intolerance for those who react badly. I had to stop eating rye products in my 20s because it triggers cold sores every time. I miss pumpernickel bread. :-( Just not worth 2 ugly weeks!

06/01/14 6:16 pm

happens when I eat something that contains gluten or has been contaminated.

06/02/14 10:16 pm

After second round of ralphing was able to sleep about 4 hrs. Yogurt & ginger tea & more "gluteneze" = better. *Miserable* whole day but better than last night! Still extremely uncomfortable & bloated but seems better. Won't *ever* do *that* again!

swjboucher Just Run
06/01/14 6:19 pm

Susan
Yes I do.

06/01/14 6:58 pm

Periodically we buy a loaf of GF bread for grilled cheese sandwiches. Hubby likes pancakes & we've found a GF mix he likes that isn't too bad for a diabetic. Maybe once a month he makes pancakes; I pass. We eat GF Chex & GF Rice Krispies. That's it.

RossDMands Miami Township, OH
06/02/14 9:31 pm

My cousin has a child diagnosed with autism. A close friend of the family, a nutritionist, pointed out that autism was over diagnosed based on arbitrary symptoms. She recommended switching to a gluten free diet to see if it was a metabolic disorder.

06/01/14 6:23 pm

Sw, so they are concerned about inflammation building up in their systems? That makes sense.

06/01/14 7:02 pm

Otherwise we just pass on breads, choosing corn tortillas/chips instead. Lots fresh fruit/veggies, beans & nuts, eggs & dairy, & naturally GF whole grains - especially Quinoa that we've gotten very creative with! I've gotten 2 GF brownie mixes 2 yrs

RossDMands Miami Township, OH
06/02/14 9:32 pm

It was. The difference was night & day. He just a regular kid now... except he can't share food with the other kids.

susanr Colorado
06/01/14 5:45 pm

One of my ex-sisters-outlaw, for gluten sensitivity - which I question, but her choice of diet doesn't really affect or bother me. She's also lactose intolerant. Whenever we're all together, once a year or so for some days, we accommodate