Squidboy February 6th, 2014 8:18pm

Women's OB-GYN Group in Columbia, Maryland is a female only medical clinic. They say they can discriminate because gender is a 'bona fide occupational qualification.' Bruce Wheatley is a male nurse who wants to work there. Pick a side:

kjs Minnesota
02/08/14 5:56 pm

I don't know what the problem is. Many women feel more comfortable with women docs and all female staff.

think4yourself Not a safe space
02/07/14 9:41 pm

Clinton seemed to prefer female interns but I don't know if it was sexism or coincidence.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/07/14 8:59 pm

You can request female staff. So I don't really see the need for an all-female facility. Besides, where do they draw the line with the term "female"?

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/07/14 9:01 pm

Although the nurse will not be the one examining the patients and if the doctor is female, likely won't even be present. So even more reason to go with Bruce.

think4yourself Not a safe space
02/07/14 9:42 pm

You need to take a basic anatomy class. Lol.

Destructor ohio
02/07/14 7:37 pm

Oh but if females were discriminated like that the world would be up in arms

Alkan
02/07/14 4:52 pm

If the clinic takes any government money, they can't do this. If they are entirely private, then it's their right.

shovelhead someplace with coffee
02/07/14 1:24 pm

I'm with this guy I was discriminated against because hooters wouldn't hire me as a man waiter

think4yourself Not a safe space
02/07/14 4:58 pm

Do less exercise and get those man boobs bigger, wax, and try again.

Rosebud Ohio
02/07/14 1:23 pm

The nurse. I've got an amazing male OB GYN who delivered both of my children. It's not the doctors who have to have the parts...
Now if it was, say, an abuse victim friendly place, where they didn't allow men bc they could be potential triggers,

Rosebud Ohio
02/07/14 1:24 pm

I'd side with the business. But their reasoning is sexism pure and simple.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/07/14 9:45 pm

Also those religions where men are not allowed to see other men's wives appreciate all female clinics. My dentist's office is all female.

Redacted
02/07/14 1:02 pm

Did I misread the question? Bruce is a nurse not an ob/gyn, the patients probably picked an all female practice because they don't want to be seen by men. Hire a male receptionist to satisfy EOE but keep him out of the exam room.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
02/07/14 2:48 pm

I agree. Why would a nurse be there anyway. Only doctors see patients. This is not a hospital. What would a nurse do there anyway.

beamie Michigan
02/07/14 3:51 pm

Nurses do a lot at my ob/gyn. They get vitals, assist in paps and other work.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
02/07/14 3:57 pm

Assist in paps? They shouldn't be involved at all. Paperwork? Thats what the girl at the front desk does. Maybe NY does things differently but at a private office its only a doctor I see.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/07/14 9:04 pm

I have three gynecologists (3 specialties due to different issues) and they all have nurses. One in NJ, two in PA. They take vitals, talk to you about your visit, do the paperwork before the doctor comes in. Sometimes present for exams.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/07/14 9:05 pm

Paperwork as in things like medical history, medications, etc. Not making appointments or insurance info.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 12:24 pm

I guess men and women aren't equal after all... Lying bitches.

02/07/14 12:52 pm

They aren't. Women shouldn't be allowed into combat roles in the military. Nothing about vaginas, they just don't have the strength that men do.

Torfin Never Behind
02/07/14 12:53 pm

Amen Rickvee!

Torfin Never Behind
02/07/14 12:55 pm

Last I checked there is nothing truly EQUAL about men and women. That does not mean both don't have leading qualities. There are many thing each can do that the other cannot. I like it this way ;)

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/07/14 9:05 pm

Tell that to the female bodybuilders.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 9:07 pm

Female body builders are against male nurses?

02/07/14 9:13 pm

To the few hundred or so women bodybuilders? The percentage is so amazingly low it can't even be called a statistical anomaly. And for those women who chose to look like one of the guys from Jersey Shore, sure, they can have their own platoon.

02/07/14 9:14 pm

Oh wait, were also forgetting I said strength, not just physical strength, but mental strength to look another person in the eyes and kill them. I've been there. I know what it's like.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/07/14 9:18 pm

Right because women are incapable of murder. Laughable.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 9:23 pm

What is laughable is that the very low percentage of female body builders are interested in going to combat...

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 9:24 pm

I'd take a male Marine against a female body builder any day.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 9:46 pm

You do realize the question involves a male nurse is being discriminated against, don't you? Somehow you don't seem to be upset at discrimination. That's interesting.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/07/14 9:48 pm

Do not insult pigs! They are beautiful precious creatures of God! Not all pigs are misogynistic or even know what that means. You sir are mean. You're a mean sir!

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/07/14 9:48 pm

Yes and I took the side of the nurse. My comments are toward your comments, not the question. I answered the question with my own comment.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 9:54 pm

So how many female body builders do you think are signing up for military service?

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/07/14 9:59 pm

No, I'm totally done with this. It's making me ill. You're standing up for the nurse but you're so clearly sexist. It's hypocritical.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 10:02 pm

You didn't answer my question.

Torfin Never Behind
02/07/14 10:04 pm

Just to make sure..I voted for the employers!

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 10:10 pm

So you are the sexist one. Good for you.

Torfin Never Behind
02/08/14 1:55 am

No I am not sexist I am a capitalist.

teppofan Rt. 66 Hackberry, AZ
02/07/14 11:08 am

I go for the OB-GYN's for the same reason I think there ought to be male-only occupations (ie. combat)

02/07/14 12:01 pm

I voted for Bruce for the same reason. There should be gender-specific jobs. Until women see that and realize it, let a man do their Pap smear. ;P

s4mm1 MD SLP
02/07/14 4:54 pm

The man wouldn't be doing a pap-smear. He'd just be observing to make sure the patient isn't alone in the room with the actual doctor. I agree with you on woman in combat. But standing in a corner isn't really gender specific.

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/07/14 9:44 am

It's interesting. I'd say that if there are female providers also available they should let him work there. Personally, I don't want to have a male gynecologist for reasons I won't go into that have nothing to do with my opinion of men's ability.

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/07/14 9:45 am

They should just let the patients have a choice. I don't agree with barring men from working there, just give a choice.

02/07/14 12:02 pm

Just like when finding a Doc for me I specified a "white male whose first language is English". I got him and stuck with him, he's an awesome Doc.

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/07/14 12:46 pm

Which you have every right to do. You are incredibly vulnerable in a drs office so should be able to be comfortable with the dr. My regular dr is male and I don't care, just don't want a male gynecologist. I think men are just as good at the job

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/07/14 12:48 pm

But was raped and still have hang ups about being in stirrups in front of a male dr. I'm glad I have the freedom to make that choice. Hiring shouldn't discriminate, but patients should have a choice.

02/07/14 12:49 pm

Sorry to hear AJ, but you hit the nail on the head. It's the patient's choice, not the employers.

02/07/14 12:50 pm

On a somewhat unrelated subject, looked into any handguns yet?

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/07/14 12:50 pm

Appreciate that. And yeah, I totally agree. Heart of the issue is it should be the patients choice.

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/07/14 2:13 pm

I haven't yet, life's been insane. Probably will near spring break though! :)

s4mm1 MD SLP
02/07/14 9:36 am

Why are so many woman so against male OB/GYNs? I love mine, he's the nicest person and is the only person who has given me a painless papasmear

beamie Michigan
02/07/14 3:55 pm

Agreed! Mine was great! He was nice and understanding about all of my "problems" and complaints when pregnant. He moved to a different city and practice. Women are cold and mean and don't care.

s4mm1 MD SLP
02/07/14 4:49 pm

Yes! I have PCOS and went to a female IB/GYN about it when I was 15, she assumed I lied to my parents so I could have sex. I was so offended I left and now I'm with my current OB/GYN. He's the nicest person and so understanding.

missmorganmarie ...
02/07/14 9:12 am

I'm surprised at the results. He should be allowed to work there. if a patient has a problem having a male nurse then request a female nurse. simple as that. that's what I would do

ozgirl not down under
02/07/14 8:54 am

I personally have found male OB/GYNs and make nurses much more gentle-- esp in that "area". If its a private hospital, then, he's out of luck. He'd be better appreciated else where. Male nurses have it rough, esp in that department.

rangeman Lafayette IN.
02/07/14 8:36 am

The hospital is non-profit and privately owned. They should be able who they want.

02/07/14 12:04 pm

But what about EOE? Personally, I think that should be done away with. Until it is, it's discrimination...

Torfin Never Behind
02/07/14 3:32 am

All businesses should be able to pick and choose WHOEVER they want from applicants using WHATEVER criteria they want!

02/07/14 12:04 pm

Hear hear! Do away with EOE!

Torfin Never Behind
02/07/14 12:51 pm

Smart businesses will thrive because they hire the best QUALIFIED candidates and stupid ones go away because they choose unprofessional qualities to sort by.

brookesmom
02/07/14 1:47 am

2 years ago my office was looking to hire a nurse practitioner. We wanted to hire a female because in the time that we were without a female nurse practitioner, many of our patients were going elsewhere for their gyn care since our only dr was male.

brookesmom
02/07/14 1:48 am

I don't see it as discrimination, it's business. It's what the patients/customers/clients want. For example, I certainly wouldn't want a male employee to help me out at Victoria Secret.

02/07/14 12:06 pm

And if he's gay and likes guys as much as you do? Wants nothing to do with seeing a woman's body?

brookesmom
02/07/14 8:09 pm

Sorry-I would still prefer a woman in that example.

clearthinking Nevada
02/07/14 1:08 am

Discrimination it might be but justifiably so. Quit using other folk's money to fight legal battles and look for another job. Let's say he gets the job. Boy I am sure he'd love the environment after that. Male nurses have it hard, but Geesh

02/07/14 12:07 pm

So someone has the right to tell another person what job to have? The caste system had been done away with...

clearthinking Nevada
02/08/14 12:35 am

Not what I'm saying. what I am saying is that employers are not obligated to hire employees just 'cause they want to be hired. An interesting question is why did the employer mention it at all. Interview and then don't hire, why make a point.

suppressedID keep Summer safe
02/06/14 7:42 pm

In fairness, I would prefer an all-female medical staff, too.

CalTexHawk spiral arm
02/06/14 4:05 pm

Choosing to only provide treatment to one type of patient is one thing. Limiting employment options based on gender is another.

pandaxoxo Colorado
02/07/14 5:44 am

I mean, it's their business. They can have whoever they want working there. If he doesn't like it, he should just go somewhere else

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/06/14 3:43 pm

They're full of crap (pardon me). There are many, many, many well-qualified male OB/GYNs. Males delivered both of my kids. What utter balderdash!

sdbrev210 The Pursuit of Happiness
02/06/14 2:52 pm

Goose and Gander issue IMHO.

kitty333 West Virginia
02/06/14 2:05 pm

There is only 1 reason a male would want to be an obgyn.

sdbrev210 The Pursuit of Happiness
02/06/14 2:51 pm

Well I know male OB/GYNs and they don't look at it that way. They genuinely have a heart for women's health. Its the human body. Doctors have the ability to desensitize themselves from what you and I might consider awkward exams.

cyanospool The Deep North
02/06/14 3:37 pm

Yeah, it pays a sh*t ton of money! In all reality though, after looking at that many ladybits day in day out, one after the other, any excitement about them in a professional setting will fade and it will just become a job, guaranteed.

fredd TrumpLand
02/06/14 4:54 pm

There is? What reason is that kitty?

missmorganmarie ...
02/07/14 9:53 am

one is medical and one is for entertainment. if you're uncomfortable with a male nurse then request a female. chippendales is like a female version of hooters. nurses and hooters girls/chippendale dancers are 2 completely different things.

02/07/14 12:10 pm

You might think that at first Kitty, but how many of those women have nasty looking, or foul smelling lady parts? Or herpes, syphallis, ghonorrea, etc. that would be disgusting to look at. What if he's gay and doesn't look at women like that?

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
02/06/14 1:35 pm

I'm not sure what the law says; but, from the ethical standpoint, I see nothing wrong with this sort of sex discrimination. The clinic wishes to provide a certain environment for a certain kind of patient.

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
02/06/14 1:41 pm

As dumb as this comparison is, it is really not all that different from Hooters restaurants electing to provide their customers with all-female waitstaffs.

If you find it disagreeable, go somewhere else.

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/06/14 5:13 pm

Good point about hooters.

missmorganmarie ...
02/07/14 9:15 am

hooters is completely different. that is a restaurant where women are hired to show off their tits and @$$ in skimpy clothing because it is a form of entertainment for the male customers. a male nurse isn't there to entertain you.

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/07/14 9:33 am

He's there to treat you. And not every woman wants to be laying back open and vulnerable in front of a male physician. Just like not every man wants to see men's asses for entertainment. Do you think these things should be handled

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/07/14 9:33 am

Differently based on business types then? Why should it sometimes be okay? I'm just curious about your reasoning.

missmorganmarie ...
02/07/14 9:55 am

aj see my comment above on kitty's comment. that was my response to yours. it went to the wrong reply.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
02/06/14 1:29 pm

That's total BS. Granted I prefer a female Gyn, but (1)it is far from necessary, (2) like saying a woman can't do certain jobs bec only guys can do them and (3) FALSE. Want vs Need, plain and simple.