Squidboy February 6th, 2014 8:18pm

Women's OB-GYN Group in Columbia, Maryland is a female only medical clinic. They say they can discriminate because gender is a 'bona fide occupational qualification.' Bruce Wheatley is a male nurse who wants to work there. Pick a side:

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
02/06/14 1:41 pm

As dumb as this comparison is, it is really not all that different from Hooters restaurants electing to provide their customers with all-female waitstaffs.

If you find it disagreeable, go somewhere else.

cyanospool The Deep North
02/06/14 3:37 pm

Yeah, it pays a sh*t ton of money! In all reality though, after looking at that many ladybits day in day out, one after the other, any excitement about them in a professional setting will fade and it will just become a job, guaranteed.

Arkansas123 Neoconservative
02/06/14 1:35 pm

I'm not sure what the law says; but, from the ethical standpoint, I see nothing wrong with this sort of sex discrimination. The clinic wishes to provide a certain environment for a certain kind of patient.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/06/14 3:43 pm

They're full of crap (pardon me). There are many, many, many well-qualified male OB/GYNs. Males delivered both of my kids. What utter balderdash!

Destructor ohio
02/07/14 7:37 pm

Oh but if females were discriminated like that the world would be up in arms

Redacted
02/07/14 1:02 pm

Did I misread the question? Bruce is a nurse not an ob/gyn, the patients probably picked an all female practice because they don't want to be seen by men. Hire a male receptionist to satisfy EOE but keep him out of the exam room.

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
02/06/14 7:42 pm

In fairness, I would prefer an all-female medical staff, too.

Torfin Never Behind
02/07/14 3:32 am

All businesses should be able to pick and choose WHOEVER they want from applicants using WHATEVER criteria they want!

sdbrev210 The Pursuit of Happiness
02/06/14 2:51 pm

Well I know male OB/GYNs and they don't look at it that way. They genuinely have a heart for women's health. Its the human body. Doctors have the ability to desensitize themselves from what you and I might consider awkward exams.

CalTexHawk spiral arm
02/06/14 4:05 pm

Choosing to only provide treatment to one type of patient is one thing. Limiting employment options based on gender is another.

rickvee Living the dream
02/07/14 12:10 pm

You might think that at first Kitty, but how many of those women have nasty looking, or foul smelling lady parts? Or herpes, syphallis, ghonorrea, etc. that would be disgusting to look at. What if he's gay and doesn't look at women like that?

think4yourself Not a safe space
02/07/14 4:58 pm

Do less exercise and get those man boobs bigger, wax, and try again.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
02/06/14 1:29 pm

That's total BS. Granted I prefer a female Gyn, but (1)it is far from necessary, (2) like saying a woman can't do certain jobs bec only guys can do them and (3) FALSE. Want vs Need, plain and simple.

brookesmom
02/07/14 1:48 am

I don't see it as discrimination, it's business. It's what the patients/customers/clients want. For example, I certainly wouldn't want a male employee to help me out at Victoria Secret.

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/07/14 9:45 am

They should just let the patients have a choice. I don't agree with barring men from working there, just give a choice.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 12:24 pm

I guess men and women aren't equal after all... Lying bitches.

think4yourself Not a safe space
02/07/14 9:41 pm

Clinton seemed to prefer female interns but I don't know if it was sexism or coincidence.

sdbrev210 The Pursuit of Happiness
02/06/14 2:52 pm

Goose and Gander issue IMHO.

fredd TrumpLand
02/06/14 4:54 pm

There is? What reason is that kitty?

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 9:46 pm

You do realize the question involves a male nurse is being discriminated against, don't you? Somehow you don't seem to be upset at discrimination. That's interesting.

Rosebud Ohio
02/07/14 1:23 pm

The nurse. I've got an amazing male OB GYN who delivered both of my children. It's not the doctors who have to have the parts...
Now if it was, say, an abuse victim friendly place, where they didn't allow men bc they could be potential triggers,

missmorganmarie ...
02/07/14 9:15 am

hooters is completely different. that is a restaurant where women are hired to show off their tits and @$$ in skimpy clothing because it is a form of entertainment for the male customers. a male nurse isn't there to entertain you.

Rosebud Ohio
02/07/14 1:24 pm

I'd side with the business. But their reasoning is sexism pure and simple.

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/07/14 12:46 pm

Which you have every right to do. You are incredibly vulnerable in a drs office so should be able to be comfortable with the dr. My regular dr is male and I don't care, just don't want a male gynecologist. I think men are just as good at the job

rickvee Living the dream
02/07/14 12:52 pm

They aren't. Women shouldn't be allowed into combat roles in the military. Nothing about vaginas, they just don't have the strength that men do.

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/06/14 5:13 pm

Good point about hooters.

rickvee Living the dream
02/07/14 12:04 pm

Hear hear! Do away with EOE!

beamie Michigan
02/07/14 3:51 pm

Nurses do a lot at my ob/gyn. They get vitals, assist in paps and other work.

s4mm1 MD SLP
02/07/14 4:49 pm

Yes! I have PCOS and went to a female IB/GYN about it when I was 15, she assumed I lied to my parents so I could have sex. I was so offended I left and now I'm with my current OB/GYN. He's the nicest person and so understanding.

pandaxoxo Colorado
02/07/14 5:44 am

I mean, it's their business. They can have whoever they want working there. If he doesn't like it, he should just go somewhere else

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/07/14 9:44 am

It's interesting. I'd say that if there are female providers also available they should let him work there. Personally, I don't want to have a male gynecologist for reasons I won't go into that have nothing to do with my opinion of men's ability.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 10:10 pm

So you are the sexist one. Good for you.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
02/07/14 3:57 pm

Assist in paps? They shouldn't be involved at all. Paperwork? Thats what the girl at the front desk does. Maybe NY does things differently but at a private office its only a doctor I see.

missmorganmarie ...
02/07/14 9:53 am

one is medical and one is for entertainment. if you're uncomfortable with a male nurse then request a female. chippendales is like a female version of hooters. nurses and hooters girls/chippendale dancers are 2 completely different things.

ozgirl not down under
02/07/14 8:54 am

I personally have found male OB/GYNs and make nurses much more gentle-- esp in that "area". If its a private hospital, then, he's out of luck. He'd be better appreciated else where. Male nurses have it rough, esp in that department.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 9:07 pm

Female body builders are against male nurses?

think4yourself Not a safe space
02/07/14 9:42 pm

You need to take a basic anatomy class. Lol.

teppofan Rt. 66 Hackberry, AZ
02/07/14 11:08 am

I go for the OB-GYN's for the same reason I think there ought to be male-only occupations (ie. combat)

rickvee Living the dream
02/07/14 9:13 pm

To the few hundred or so women bodybuilders? The percentage is so amazingly low it can't even be called a statistical anomaly. And for those women who chose to look like one of the guys from Jersey Shore, sure, they can have their own platoon.

kjs Minnesota
02/08/14 5:56 pm

I don't know what the problem is. Many women feel more comfortable with women docs and all female staff.

foxycheese202 A Mormon
02/07/14 9:48 pm

Do not insult pigs! They are beautiful precious creatures of God! Not all pigs are misogynistic or even know what that means. You sir are mean. You're a mean sir!

missmorganmarie ...
02/07/14 9:12 am

I'm surprised at the results. He should be allowed to work there. if a patient has a problem having a male nurse then request a female nurse. simple as that. that's what I would do

rickvee Living the dream
02/07/14 9:14 pm

Oh wait, were also forgetting I said strength, not just physical strength, but mental strength to look another person in the eyes and kill them. I've been there. I know what it's like.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
02/07/14 2:48 pm

I agree. Why would a nurse be there anyway. Only doctors see patients. This is not a hospital. What would a nurse do there anyway.

shovelhead someplace with coffee
02/07/14 1:24 pm

I'm with this guy I was discriminated against because hooters wouldn't hire me as a man waiter

aj1545 Cat Lady
02/07/14 12:48 pm

But was raped and still have hang ups about being in stirrups in front of a male dr. I'm glad I have the freedom to make that choice. Hiring shouldn't discriminate, but patients should have a choice.

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 9:54 pm

So how many female body builders do you think are signing up for military service?

cowboy Doors of Perception
02/07/14 9:23 pm

What is laughable is that the very low percentage of female body builders are interested in going to combat...