Show Of Hands January 1st, 2013 12:00am

Have you ever lived in a foreign country?

CTV49 Connecticut
01/09/13 4:30 pm

What's the minimum duration? 1 month, 6 months, a year?

edu941
01/09/13 4:30 pm

I was born and raised in Brazil

tahn Pennsylvania
01/06/13 6:36 am

"The world is like a book, and those who fail to travel have read but one page."

july475
01/05/13 9:52 pm

Id love to go to Sweden u r very lucky

july475
01/05/13 9:49 pm

I was a nanny in Paris and I lived in Germany it was so much fun and I learned a lot about myself and I have to say I don't look at things the same as many Americans

leary Dulag Luft
01/05/13 7:56 pm

Germany, twice for five years total eyeballing Ivan, Nam for a year just stayin alive.

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
01/04/13 11:21 pm

It was lovely. I lived in the suburbs of Buenos Aires, about 45 minutes from downtown by train. Friends who lived in Córdoba and Mendoza loved it there. The country is beautiful, the people are wonderful, and the food is great (not spicy like other Latin countries, more European). I recommend it.

JaingN10 Death Star
01/04/13 2:36 pm

I have lived in a large number of countries throughout Europe and I still say that America is better although most natives would say there country is better

pashn4rshn Virginia
01/04/13 2:33 pm

And I'd be willing to bet most of those who have never lived abroad would say America is the absolute best with no basis of comparison or experience.

JennaF sunflower state of mind
01/03/13 9:28 pm

No problem! If you need any help, I could always ask my mom :)

TessieMay
01/03/13 7:05 pm

Happy to give Texas away. Recently saw that US FEMA is spending the most on Texas for disaster relief over the years. Lets let it secede and then we can lower taxes for the rest of us? (Said tongue n cheek)

TessieMay
01/03/13 6:56 pm

Living in another country helps you appreciate the good things about your own country. So many good things in US, but we don't do everything well. Many other places are far superior in certain aspects. Ex: Universal health care is something every 1st world country does but ours. Glad we are fixing.

Krasnodar
01/03/13 6:18 pm

How was it?? I'm thinking of taking a gap year after my senior year to study in Argentina, perhaps in Mendoza or Córdoba.

susanr Colorado
01/03/13 6:17 pm

I see it spelled either cousa or kousa, and the recipes I'm looking at sound wonderful. Thank you!

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/03/13 6:15 pm

Zod, that is how we grow together. It takes years but is well worth it. Don't ever take each other for granted.

JennaF sunflower state of mind
01/03/13 4:21 pm

... Exclusively Syrian dish, different Arab countries have their own variation of it. Also things like okra, fava beans, and olive oil are used extensively in Arabic cookin :)

JennaF sunflower state of mind
01/03/13 4:18 pm

... Exclusively Syrian dish, different Arab countries have their own variation of it. Also things like okra, fava beans, and olive oil are used extensively in Arab cooking :)

JennaF sunflower state of mind
01/03/13 4:15 pm

Susan-- my favorite is called Coosa (well, it's in Arabic but I guess that's how you would spell it in English). It's made of squash that is hollowed out and stuffed with ground meat and rice. It's cooked in tomato sauce and all sorts of spices and it's just... Mmmm... Though its not an...

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
01/03/13 3:57 pm

I lived in Argentina for a year. I still love Buenos Aires and miss it a lot, along with the people there. I'd move back in a heartbeat if I could find a teaching job.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
01/03/13 2:09 pm

I didn't see ANYTHING like that when I went there. It was one of the best weeks of my life, that's all I remember.

andydrew Behind You
01/03/13 1:52 pm

Socialism does work. Most Western European countries have a higher economic output per capita than America. Most Europeans are happier than Americans. Europeans are healthier, live longer, and have higher wages. Just actually examining it proves that socialism does work. Google HDI and find out.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/03/13 1:43 pm

ChelseaK I debated whether I should count my two years in Texas or the three in Oklahoma as living in foreign countries - they're more different than many places overseas. On the technicality that they're part of the US, I'm saving them for a question about living in an alternate universe.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
01/03/13 1:35 pm

wedaslaves not anymore - I taught her everything I knew and she just kept getting better at it. It was a rough first few years though - her Mom is an artist with twice-cooked French fries, but overcooks almost everything else. These days though, eating in at home is a joy.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
01/03/13 10:44 am

My two oldest boys will be leaving in the May/June timeframe for two years.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
01/03/13 9:05 am

With the way our country is changing its less and less like the America I grew up in every day. Some things are better like race relations, but most things are worse.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
01/03/13 9:04 am

I've had the opportunity to travel on business to most of the 50 states and several foreign countries. I've never seen anything like San Francisco before or since.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
01/03/13 9:02 am

Thank The Lord for America where there's opportunity for those willing to work.

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
01/03/13 9:01 am

Chelsea. Been there, did that. Then I worked my butt off doing really good work, made a name for myself, got highly recruited, several promotions, went to school at night and on the weekends for 7 years. Now I earn over 130k and once turned down a job for 270k (I regret it, but my reason was solid).

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
01/03/13 8:58 am

I wish we were our own country, along with Texas. That would be awesome.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
01/03/13 8:41 am

Resided in. My address was still stateside though.

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
01/03/13 7:37 am

Zod, do you cook as well as your fräulein?

dcool Detroit
01/03/13 5:02 am

I was there. No health insurance for 11 years. I do not support Obamacare. And I've lived in two European countries.

susanr Colorado
01/03/13 4:41 am

Spotted Dick. No, it's not a dirty thing. But I had it once just so I could say that I'd had it.

susanr Colorado
01/03/13 4:39 am

No kidding! My brother lives in TC now. His ex-wife is from Northport. I believe her family owns the northernmost cherry orchard on the tip of the peninsula. She was a friend of ours in Grand Rapids. I didn't discover the Leelenau Peninsula until my last year in MI. Most beautiful part of the state.

susanr Colorado
01/03/13 4:35 am

So Syrian, what are some good Syrian dishes?

susanr Colorado
01/03/13 4:34 am

Now I have to concoct a mini-pastilia somehow. My daughter is vegetarian & I know her husband won't go for the almond sweetness, so only I will eat it. Yum.

susanr Colorado
01/03/13 4:32 am

They're not all Arabs, Syrian. My Moroccan friend is Berber. I assumed he was Arab for two years until he mentioned it. (His wife is Arab, though.)

susanr Colorado
01/03/13 4:29 am

There are lots of recipes for it on the internet, Zod. You could have a nostalgic dinner! I had a Morrocan colleague & friend in Ohio. Had a lot of good stuff that his wife cooked, but I had pastilia first at a Moroccan restaurant.

Bougey Minnesota
01/03/13 4:19 am

I served as a missionary for 2 years in Uruguay.

ChelseaK1990 OKC
01/03/13 4:04 am

I live in Oklahoma, which should be its own country, given how the politicians force religion every chance they get.

ChelseaK1990 OKC
01/03/13 4:02 am

Until you're one of millions extremely ill with no health insurance. Then socialism is a wonderful plan. You don't understand until you've been there.

4x31r0d
01/02/13 10:18 pm

I was born in the U.P. in Marquette, my parents were on a vacation there and I was early, but my family all lives in or around T.C. where our family farms are.