4JC June 4th, 2018 3:10pm

Breaking News! SCOTUS ruled (7-2) in favor, of Jack Phillips of Masterpiece Cakes, The case asked SCOTUS to balance religious rights of a baker against a couple’s right to equal treatment under the law. Similar disputes have popped up across the U.S.

Robert97206 Portland Oregon
06/04/18 8:15 am

Good ruling!

This was a nail-biting case for me I can't wait to read the transcript.

DanielWebb
06/04/18 10:06 am

A win for freedom of choice! Yay!

06/04/18 9:38 am

It wasn’t he that showed hatred. He offered to sell them anything in his shop. He just can’t make pieces of art that have a message that is against his deepest beliefs. For example, he also has refused to make cakes for other events, such as Halloween and anti-gay events.

In the meantime, there were bakers that were allowed to turn down anti-gay cake requests, and the courts ruled in THEIR favor. See the hypocrisy?

...

Jazzy5 USA
06/04/18 12:08 pm

The baker, offer the couple names of other good bakeries that would be more than happy to bake them a cake. Interesting how they refused the offer.

Jazzy5 USA
06/04/18 1:27 pm

Targeted.
Hurting a small business, you attack them with an army of lawyers, just to force them to your demands..
This is not what my America is about but it happens quite often.

06/04/18 8:41 am

I agree! I’ve been REALLY praying about this! I’m hoping this will set the precedent for all the OTHER cases that have been working their way through courts for the last several years!

Thanks for upvoting!

06/04/18 8:11 am

💠 4JC asked:
06/04/2018

Yay!
Boo!

www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/04/supreme-court-decides-colorado-gay-wedding-cake-case-timeline-events.html

...

06/04/18 10:40 am

Yeah, and this ruling is only about this particular case. It’s not a ruling that will necessarily apply to all the others that are working their way through the courts. But the discrimination against Jack by the CO commission was so blatant in this one, it was undeniable, even to two liberal judges.

...

06/04/18 10:51 am

Exactly! That’s how it should have been handled from the beginning!

SHOWofFIST Flint, MI
06/04/18 9:27 am

It's a business decision and they are not obligated to do business with anyone. Good ruling I guess in the eyes of the law. Now it is up to the consumers to stage a boycott and do everything possible to shine a light on his hate filled ways and put him out of business for good. What a gift for the competition to be able to exploit and take advantage of his poor business decision.

06/04/18 3:29 pm

Pick, this is NOTHING like the civil rights movement. Do you realize that what you’ve said is offensive to many blacks? Check out this:

A coalition of African American civil rights leaders and advocates launched WeGotYourBackJack.com.

They’re standing with Jack Phillips, the Christian Baker in a court battle with a gay couple. They say this isn't even close to the kind of discrimination shown against African Americans in the past & say that LGBT are demanding special rights based on their sexual behavior.

www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2017/october/wegotyourbackjack-african-americans-stand-with-christian-baker-in-gay-cake-case?cpid=:ID:-21923-:DT:-2017-10-23-17:03:33-:US:-JR1-:CN:-CP1-:PO:-GC1-:ME:-SU1-:SO:-FB1-:SP:-NW1-:PF:-TX1-

www.lifezette.com/faithzette/conservative-black-clergy-say-lgbt-activists/

_______

06/04/18 9:38 am

2) It was the CO commission that was showing hatred. Here’s what I read in one article:

“The justices' limited ruling turned on what the court described as anti-religious bias on the Colorado Civil Rights Commission when it ruled against baker Jack Phillips.

When the justices heard arguments in December, Kennedy was plainly bothered by comments by a commission member.
The commissioner seemed "neither tolerant nor respectful of Mr. Phillips' religious beliefs," Kennedy said then.

That same sentiment suffused his opinion on Monday. “The commission's hostility was inconsistent with the First Amendment's guarantee that our laws be applied in a manner that is neutral toward religion," he wrote.

06/04/18 9:39 am

3) Liberal justices Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan joined the conservative justices in the outcome. Kagan wrote separately to emphasize the limited ruling.
Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sonia Sotomayor dissented.

"Government hostility toward people of faith has no place in our society, yet the state of Colorado was openly antagonistic toward Jack's religious beliefs about marriage. The court was right to condemn that," said Kristen Waggoner, the Alliance Defending Freedom senior counsel who argued Phillips' case.

...

06/04/18 3:34 pm

Some gay people support the baker too, that's not going to change my mind.

"you can't buy this cake because you're gay." = "you can't buy this food because you're black."

Imho

JudicialJedi321 This is How Liberty Dies
06/04/18 11:10 am

Certainly a victory for religious liberty; but more narrowly tailored than I would have liked. I suppose We couldn't expect much more from Anthony Kennedy. With any luck he'll retire sooner rather than later so these left wing bigots who wish to outlaw religion can be defeated once and for all.

06/04/18 11:17 am

Hear, hear! I hope he does so before Baronelle’s case is before them!

06/04/18 1:55 pm

Yeah, and in the south not too long ago people were saying the same thing about black people.

06/04/18 10:29 am

Hadn’t thought of THAT! Lol

06/04/18 12:54 pm

In several of these cases, other companies came out of the woodwork to give them FREE services, but that wasn’t enough for them. They had to try to punish the business owners.

...

06/04/18 8:13 am

“The laws and the Constitution can, and in some instances must, protect gay persons and gay couples in the exercise of their civil rights, but religious and philosophical objections to gay marriage are protected views and in some instances protected forms of expression," the Court said in its decision. "While it is unexceptional that Colorado law can protect gay persons in acquiring products and services on the same terms and conditions as are offered to other members of the public, the law must be applied in a manner that is neutral toward religion."

Justice Anthony Kennedy said when the Colorado Civil Rights Commission made its decision "it did not do so with the religious neutrality that the Constitution requires." The opinion says the Commission "violated the Free Exercise Clause, and its order must be set aside."

In its decision, the Supreme Court did not decide whether a business has the right to refuse to serve gay and lesbian people outright.

_____

IH8NIGGERS Niggerville
06/04/18 10:49 am

Don’t like it? Don’t shop there!

06/04/18 8:31 pm

Yes, I agree that he shouldn't have to make a 'gay cake.' No, I don't agree that all gay people want 'gay cakes.'

I'm sure there are gay people who wouldn't want a design that had anything to do with their sexuality. He would still say no to them and that's wrong in my eyes.

06/04/18 8:34 pm

Those cakes are so standard/generic... Wow. There's nothing gay at all about them... If that was the design and he said no, I'm sorry, that's discrimination.

theNobamist Silicon Valley
06/04/18 11:53 pm

Yay! Another kick in the ass to lawsuit lawyers!

06/04/18 8:49 pm

Okay, I read it. I don't think he should be forced to bake those cakes. If I can admit that, can you admit that if a gay couple had asked for a creative design that resembled something like what was in page 16, he should be forced to bake it? Excluding some other reason besides the couple being gay.

06/04/18 11:18 am

And thanks for sharing my poll!

06/04/18 7:34 pm

There was nothing pro-gay about the cake! If it was anti-gay or pro-gay I would understand. It was a normal cake.

IH8NIGGERS Niggerville
06/04/18 6:31 pm

I’m gay. Do I think these bakers are being discriminatory? Absolutely. Do I have to buy from them? Absolutely not. They’re a private business. It’s their right to not serve me and it’s my right to not patron them. I wouldn’t trust them with my cake anyway. If these bakers don’t want to sell to me that’s fine; I think they’re ignorant and I would never support their business.

06/04/18 5:12 pm

He didn’t say, “You can’t buy this cake because you’re gay.” He offered to sell them ANY cake in his shop. He just cannot CREATE a cake with a message that is against his beliefs. For example, he also doesn’t create cakes with anti-gay messages on them, or cakes for Halloween events, or Nazis, or with racist messages. It’s ALL about the message of the cake.

I found it very interesting when watching a special show about the royal wedding, when they reiterated what Jack Phillips has been saying all along—that specialty wedding cakes are pieces of art that tell a story about the couple and their relationship. Jack can’t tell a story about a couple that he feels should NOT be getting married. They need to go to a baker that will appreciate their story, their wedding, and can celebrate it with them.

...

06/04/18 12:52 pm

I know what you mean! Lol

06/04/18 5:14 pm

What was the message? My sources show it was a normal cake he would have made for any other wedding

06/04/18 7:53 pm

If that's the case, then I think he shouldn't have to bake that particular cake; however, Phillips admitted to turning away other gay couples before this. If they just wanted a cake that had nothing to do with homosexuality, then he should have to make it.

JudicialJedi321 This is How Liberty Dies
06/04/18 11:38 am

Lots of rumors about. He's hired his law clerks for next year, but the court has been turning away hot button issues which some think means the liberals aren't convinced Kennedy will be around to side with them.

Not to mention the narrow nature of this case makes me think maybe Kennedy wants this middle ground answer to be his way of signing off on his legacy.

Lord almighty I hope...

06/04/18 8:12 pm

I just told you nobody should be forced to bake a cake that is pro gay or anti gay. If it is a normal cake he would bake for a straight wedding, then he should have to bake the same cake for a gay wedding. Same thing if it had been an atheist baker. He doesn't have to be forced to put a cross on the cake, but he still has to make a normal cake he would design for any other couple.

06/04/18 8:12 pm

You must not be reading/understanding my comments.

06/04/18 8:19 pm

It's over 100 pages. I have an exam and patients tomorrow. I skimmed and read some. Much more than I have typed here in the comments and that you have apparently missed/failed to read. Scroll up, you are missing the point of what I saying. I never said he should be forced to make a rainbow icing cake.

06/04/18 7:04 pm

I wouldn't want it either, but I also don't want discrimination to be legal. I don't think 'especially artistic' is a fair reason to not bake a cake for someone.

06/04/18 8:30 pm

In that second article, read starting on page 16. There are even pics of gay wedding cakes.

...

06/04/18 8:36 pm

I would agree with you that the cake with the rainbow batter shouldn't have to be baked, but the others are normal.

06/04/18 8:37 pm

Did you not go any farther than page 16? I’ve NEVER seen wedding cakes that look like those!

Please read what the mom with the transgendered child said.

...

06/04/18 8:38 pm

You were looking at some of the other cakes Jack has done, not the gay cakes. The section about gay cakes starts under those pics, where it says 3. Gay cakes and the pics for those are on page 17 and forward.

06/04/18 8:40 pm

The next page shows the cake that this gay couple had at their wedding, with the rainbow batter, etc. Do I have to copy and paste the section to you, or are you able to find it?

After that page, there is another page that shows how gay wedding cakes are a new more flamboyant genre that look NOTHING like traditional wedding cakes.

06/04/18 7:19 pm

The CO commission was actually discriminating against Jack Phillips. That’s the only way to understand this when you realize that they allowed other bakers to turn down orders for anti-gay cakes, with no repercussions. It’s religious discrimination. That’s exactly what the ruling says.

06/04/18 7:19 pm

2) That same sentiment suffused his opinion on Monday.

"The commission's hostility was inconsistent with the First Amendment's guarantee that our laws be applied in a manner that is neutral toward religion," he wrote.

When you have even two liberal justices that agree, you KNOW there was something wrong here!

06/05/18 6:45 am

I’m glad you can at least go that far. But this is a complicated issue with more than 1 argument.

Some would say it’s the type of cake—a specialty wedding cake & the message of that cake. Others would say that it’s the message of the cake—the sanctioning of a gay wedding, no matter what the cake looks like. Others would say it’s the EVENT that is the problem—having to go there to deliver the cake. Others would say that if they go to 1 gay wedding, those that are against gay weddings would boycott, especially in areas of high percentages of religious people of any & all faiths—& that by doing 1 gay wedding, they would be cutting their own throats.

Others, like Libertarians, would say that to force ANYONE to labor against their will is slavery. Others see this as a free speech issue—even if you aren’t a Christian or have religious beliefs against it—(like Muslims would, as well—but no gay people are targeting them), you shouldn’t be compelled to voice a message you disagree with.

...

06/05/18 6:49 am

I agree with ALL those stances and reasons. Just as I would think it would be cruel to ask a gay person to promote an anti-gay message, or a black to promote a KKK message, or a Jew to promote a Nazi message, I think it’s cruel to force a person of religion to go against their deepest held beliefs.

We didn’t require it of Bruce Springsteen, or gown designers, or journalists. We don’t prohibit artists from making art that goes against religious beliefs—because they have the right to their OWN beliefs—like statues of Jesus in pee!

One thing I can’t understand—gays have fought SO hard for their rights to believe and live as they want—why are they so dead set against others having those same rights to believe and live as they want? Looks like they would be the first ones to understand what that’s like, doesn’t it? Instead, they’re using this to punish those they feel are against their lifestyle.

...

06/04/18 7:39 pm

No, it’s not a normal cake. Did you miss the part about the special I watched on the royal wedding, where they made it clear that cakes like this tell a story about the couple? And the links I gave that showed others, even gay people, saying the same thing? Or was that in another thread?

...