hfhgsrjjdf May 27th, 2018 11:09pm

Christians: Genesis 1 is metaphorical literature, and the 7 days of Creation could be great periods of time. In the end, we really don't know how the Earth could've been created. God may or may not have used evolution. We really will never know.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
05/27/18 7:56 pm

That's Pure organic fertilizer of taurine origin. Utter nonsense, and incredibly dangerous and destructive thinking. Treating clear, straightforward historical narrative as metaphorical or allegorical is faithless and dishonest, and fails the test of harmonizing with the straightforward witness of the rest of the Bible to the accuracy of ALL of the Bible. Those who teach this should be considered false teachers, and they should be avoided and their teachings ignored. ✟✡

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
05/27/18 8:07 pm

There's no need to speculate. The Bible, clear, straightforward historical narrative need not be denied as "scientifically impossible" or misinterpreted as fable, allegory, or fairy tale. It simply means precisely what it says. The Genesis 1 creation account is the testimony of the only eyewitness to creation, the Creator Himself. Nothing could be simpler or more foundational to all else in the Bible. If we deny it, we can deny ANY Bible passage.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
05/27/18 5:58 pm

We can know if we regard the Bible as the word of God, and not a work of fiction.

political Georgia
05/27/18 4:17 pm

Utterly disagree! There are metaphors within Scripture, but Genesis is literal.

GlockMan1 Alabama
05/27/18 6:18 pm

When God CREATED Adam and Eve, He did not create them as babies and they grew into adults. God created them fully matured and ready to have children of their own. God did the same thing with our planet. Yes....it certainly does appear to be billions of years old because God created it that way. Fully functional and ready to live on by two fully functional humans. There are people who can make antique furniture so well that only the best experts know that it is not a true antique. Same way with Christians. Only a few of us really know this planet is not billions of years old.

05/27/18 5:05 pm

No, I agree with science because that is what makes sense intellectually. I choose to believe the Bible is metaphors. I choose to understand that when written, humans did not understand science as we do now and therefore the Bible was written as best for them to understand. I choose God and know that he allows us to learn about and understand science so that we may truly marvel at what He created.

Wonderess Louisiana
05/28/18 12:53 am

I think we are getting into a false dilemma down below. Just because one does not take the creation narratives literally does not mean that the Bible is uninspired. God certainly created everything. How and in what amount of time is a scientific question. Faith and the Bible enlightens the soul with higher truths such as the purpose of man and the history of salvation. To try to find scientific meanings within the Bible is not its primary purpose.

ronderman North Carolina
05/27/18 6:37 pm

The two important words are "God created". After that, nothing matters to me.

Think Lovin Life
05/28/18 6:31 am

Ronder ... you nailed it! I agree completely. The notion that Genesis, which was written thousands of years after the creation, is to be taken literally in the duration forces brittleness that is not required and not provable.

The question of precisely how long doesn’t affect our salvation, or God’s power in any way. Rather than fight over this kind of ancillary notion, we should simply tuck the question away, and ask Him when we see Him!

hfhgsrjjdf
05/27/18 8:08 pm

I wish you could tell that to some of my constituents at my church. I couldn't stand what I was hearing from some people this morning.

hfhgsrjjdf
05/27/18 4:46 pm

That contradicts the Bible though. All the answers about the beginnings of this planet can be found in Genesis.

hfhgsrjjdf
05/27/18 8:14 pm

But you see Kay, this is what I'm trying to get at. Belief in evolution weakens the Christian faith. Once we allow that seed (it's science!) to be planted into our hearts, it weakens the Christian's ability to defend the rest of their faith. I could go deeper. Belief in evolution completely negates the need for God's redemption of man. It defeats Christ's purpose to die for us. That's why it is so important, and that's why it hurt me to see people at my church spouting off this nonsense. Now, no where in this did I say you're not a Christian, so please so take any of this out of context. Only God can judge that for each and every one of us.

political Georgia
05/27/18 8:18 pm

Thank you, Tom!

05/27/18 8:40 pm

That's the arrogance I was referring to. Don't try to apologize in one post and then continue to be that way in the next. If you were truly sorry for your sins, you wouldn't continue acting the same. You don't know the truth for sure just like I don't. We are both speculating based on what we have read. The bad taste isn't because you talk of scripture, it's how you talk to me about your beliefs. You don't come across as a loving servant of God, but rather a know-it-all who is not accepting of others. Your dig at the end, while disguised as a comment to DSH, was an obvious attempt to put me down.

hfhgsrjjdf
05/27/18 4:10 pm

Definitely disagree. Several people at my church this morning were using this same argument regarding evolution vs. Creation.

political Georgia
05/27/18 7:43 pm

Kay, I asked for interpretation of scripture several times. It’s not like I was not willing to have a discussion. Of course, this doesn’t mean I would necessarily agree with you because I have studied the topic of Hell’s existence to a certain degree. Nevertheless, my intentions were never to convey that I am a know it all. It appears that you thought that my poll was targeted to you, but it wasn’t. It was inspired by a SOH poll where I noticed the results were odd.

05/27/18 7:49 pm

No, I never once thought you targeted the poll to me. I've just gotten tired of the Christians on SOH who are condescending, rude, and disrespectful to those who don't believe as they do. I've often said that I believe as I do, but none of us really knew God's truths. But, most of the time I don't get that same respect back. Instead I'm told that I'm a fake Christian or not a real Christian. And, political has been guilty of this several times in the past.

05/27/18 5:15 pm

You can quote any scripture you want. It doesn't change the fact that this Earth is billions of years old and science has proof of that. So, if you choose to take the Bible literally, you'll just be ignorant of the world. I choose to make the Bible and science coexist. It's what makes sense to me. I won't stop you from believing differently.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/28/18 6:28 am

Saying we will never know isn't true. We can find out when we get to heaven.

ronderman North Carolina
05/28/18 3:13 am

And I’m fine with that Tom. I’m just saying that if the 7 day creation is a stumbling block for someone, it shouldn’t keep them from accepting the gift of salvation. If you interpret the scriptures as a literal 7 day creation and I interpret the scriptures as 7 seasons that may have occurred over a long period of time, neither belief changes Christ’s sacrifice.

My belief system isn’t built on the OT at all (though I believe in it), my belief system is built on Christ.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
05/27/18 8:09 pm

AMEN AMEN AMEN! 👍

05/27/18 5:30 pm

Close the Bible for awhile and read some science. I mean, really research. Delve into it with new eyes, eyes that are not focused on scripture. The proof is there is you are willing to read it. If not, that's ok with me if you continue believing as you do. I just don't.

political Georgia
05/27/18 7:11 pm

DSH, as a Christian, I will never tell you to close your Bible. In fact, the world would be better if we all read it more.

05/27/18 7:13 pm

Whatever. You know I didn't mean to close it forever and to not read/study it. Don't be dramatic.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
05/28/18 8:07 am

Ron - Christology BEGINS in Genesis 1-4. Jesus (the Word) was active in Creation, and was mentioned in God's curse on the serpent (He shall crush your head and you shall bruise His heel). So yes, your Christianity is derived from the Old Testament. All of Jesus' teachings referred back to the Laws of the Torah, and He was a wll-schooled Rabbi. His disciples were actually his rabbinic talmidim (students).

05/27/18 4:51 pm

Yes, but I believe it is metaphorical.

political Georgia
05/27/18 7:33 pm

I believe God’s word. If that is considered “not thinking for myself”, so be it. If I passionately defend scripture and called closed minded, so be it. I am all for learning about the world around us, but it should be to glorify God. I don’t have anything against anyone here, and I’m not here to show anyone up. Yet again, I am called to spread God’s word, and frankly, I think I have been fairly respectful throughout a variety of conversations.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/28/18 10:57 am

Is the pastor aware that the youth pastor has said this? If not, it’s something he needs to know, and you need to find out if the pastor believes it as well.

But I would talk to the youth pastor first and tell him you disagree with him, and ask him to go to the pastor with you to talk to him about it. This is the Biblical way to go about things like this, instead of talking about the youth pastor behind his back. If he refuses to go with you to the pastor and insists that what he said is correct, THEN, according to the Bible, you can seek out the counsel of the pastor.

...

05/27/18 7:37 pm

Spreading God's Word while being condescending and a know-it-all, probably isn't what He had in mind.

05/27/18 8:41 pm

And, with that, I'm truly done ever having a conversation with you. Feel free to continue on this thread, but I'll neither be reading nor responding again.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/28/18 12:02 pm

No, no, no! That’s not what I meant at all! I just meant if you decide to tell your pastor about what the young adult pastor said, it’s best to talk to the young adult pastor FIRST.

I’ve seen LOTS of churches torn up over someone talking about others, complaining that they’ve done something wrong, before they even go to the person that they feel is in the wrong. The New Testament, in a section on church discipline, plainly lays out that we’re supposed to go to the person that has wronged us or that is teaching false doctrine, BEFORE we talk to anyone else about. We’re to give them a chance to make it right before involving other people.

I see no problem at all with your talking about this here, as we’re not members of your church, so it can’t hurt those that are members of the church or tear the church up.

political Georgia
05/27/18 8:44 pm

I’m not accepting of false teachings. That much is true.

outlaw393 01134
05/28/18 11:02 am

God created evolution.

05/27/18 6:18 pm

Again, feel free to believe that if you'd like.

ronderman North Carolina
05/28/18 9:18 am

Not denying any of that Tom. In fact, you could even say that we should believe it because Christ believed it. I personally have no problem with it. I’m just saying that if the OT was removed, it wouldn’t change my belief.

Let’s put it this way. The first generation of gentiles preached to by Paul did not see the OT scriptures as a prerequisite for belief.

I believe there is a generation of people who can’t get behind the belief of a seven day creation, but can get behind believing and following Jesus. What right do we have in damning them to Hell because they do not believe in a literal 7 days?

Jesus said believe in Me. He didn’t not say believe in me....and 7 day creation....and the literal account of Genesis.

I’m not saying you are wrong. I’m just saying that I don’t have to agree with you in order to be a Christ follower.

05/27/18 7:42 pm

I don't care if you don't like what I called political. Political has been disrespectful and condescending to me for years now.

hfhgsrjjdf
05/28/18 12:09 am

This is what I wrote to someone down below.

05/27/18 4:15 pm

I agree. I believe the Earth is billions of years old and I believe in evolution. But, we don't have all the answers yet and may never quite figure them all out. At least we are headed in the right direction.

05/27/18 7:51 pm

I'm not close-minded at all. In fact, the opposite is true because I knew the Bible can be interpreted differently. You two are the ones saying there is a hard line on it and others are wrong.

05/27/18 8:02 pm

What you do understand is that not everyone believes that the Bible be taken literally word for word. It is sometimes metaphors, stories, etc. Scientific proof exists in the real world. So where science has proven real, I choose to believe that the Bible is metaphorical, or at least written so that the people of that time could understand it.

4JC Christian Pastors Wife
05/28/18 10:27 am

DSH, what denomination is that? I would recommend that you begin looking for a new church home!

political Georgia
05/27/18 8:04 pm

What is Genesis symbolizing then?

05/27/18 8:06 pm

Even now, political, you are arrogant as you say you hope there "will be passion to dive into scripture in the future." Who are you to assume that because I don't believe as you do that I haven't read scripture?

05/27/18 8:08 pm

I don't have a need to continue to defend myself here. Rather than spreading the Word of God to share God's love, you two have put a bad taste in my mouth for this discussion and for this topic. Again, probably not what He wants from you.

lcamino Florida and Georgia
05/27/18 9:29 pm

DSH, that has happened to me before listening to a radio preacher. Whatever he said, I knew it wasn’t right, and turned it off. On the other hand, I have heard so many messages that spoke directly to me.

Think Lovin Life
05/27/18 7:15 pm

Agree. After that all else is simply speculation.

political Georgia
05/27/18 7:16 pm

I don’t know what you mean. It certainly sounded like you want us to value “X” over God’s word. You seem to find Biblical teachings offensive. Why else would you want someone to put down the Bible?

cowboy Here and There
05/28/18 6:54 am

Agree. Evolution is just a conspiracy theory. Like every other theory. We don’t know shit.