laxgoalie December 10th, 2017 6:57pm

Regulation can make the free market more efficient

ronderman North Carolina
12/10/17 1:40 pm

"Regulation of the free market" is an oxymoron.

Radon Parts Unknown
12/10/17 1:09 pm

I wonder how many people who answer these kinds of questions actually ever been exposed to enterprise in really any executive way.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
12/10/17 1:12 pm

I miss 40% horse meat in my beef, too.

laxgoalie Cleveland
12/10/17 11:58 am

Literally the basis of economics

Yessy Texas
12/10/17 1:11 pm

It's annoying and causes long waits whenever you go anywhere because companies have to follow regulations to make short people don't sue them or get sued by the government

lj74
12/10/17 1:12 pm

It can, but it can also destroy. There has to be a balance. Look at the disastrous effects of Obama’s refs and controls! DoddFrank is a joke.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
12/10/17 8:31 pm

I don't think you understand what you're talking about. Regulation is the thing that allows us to be less authoritarian and provide more freedoms, while still getting those things which are required. Free markets do not achieve required minimums for a functioning place. Indeed, without regulation, a monopoly would become a monarchy.

evoecon nearest binary system
12/10/17 8:50 pm

I can not speak for keyannawinston. From my perspective, you have totally discount my understanding of the cause and effect of free markets. I do understand the argument of how free markets will lead to monopolies and monarchy. I simply disagree that only free markets can lead to those ends. All market systems can lead to those ends. Regulations do not prevent and actually escalate the process leading to monopoly. Free markets allow great avoidance and recovery from tendencies to monopoly.

evoecon nearest binary system
12/10/17 6:58 pm

keyanna is absolutely correct.

Free markets can penalize the less efficient without the help of the government.

playum
12/10/17 4:32 pm

Key word is “can”....yes if properly applied, but frequently (maybe more than 50% if the time) it does not.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
12/10/17 11:12 pm

It greatly depends on the regulations, I suppose. I definitely support that items labeled "100% all beef" should at least be somewhat derived from cow. I definitely believe that there should be required hand washing between pooping and cooking. I don't think free market forces are as strong over these things as you seem to think. However, these are both public health concerns where small effort before contaminating food with would-be food poisoning is much cheaper than dealing with an outbreak. I suppose with perfect knowledge, a class action lawsuit could be brought against the restaurant, but their practices were legal so there is no problem. Buyer beware and all.