Show Of Hands October 15th, 2011 12:00am

Will the Occupy Wall Street protestors affect any change on the issues they care about? (UserQ)

tourniquet
10/15/11 10:33 pm

@ veritas, They maybe sincere about wanting to fix problems. If the answer has anything to do with government helping, social justice, more programs, or anymore of the like no one but the OWS should pay for it. No ones solution should be borne out of they idea of someone else's money.

10/17/11 11:03 am

Ahoy Matey! So should we abolish the Obama Regime? or how's about the Jerry Brown Movement to Reduce Fecal Load in California? Shiver me timbers.

Louxny
10/15/11 4:18 pm

I love the narrative of the Right: poor people are poor because they are dumb and lazy while the rich are smart and industrious. Except when one smart and industrious person makes a crap ton of money and their heirs inherit it. A lot of these trust fund kids are as lazy & drug addled as the OWS.

CSGraham
10/15/11 10:52 am

What do they care about? People making more money than them? No they won't change that because they don't want to earn it, the want everyone else to earn it for them.

HolyBabble Mississippi
10/15/11 10:52 am

The (T)axed (E)nough (A)lready protesters complained about increased taxes, when in actuality Obama passed tax cuts. But it's the OWS people who make no sense???? LOL, you Cons are a deranged bunch.

HolyBabble Mississippi
10/15/11 11:00 am

Why do people keep saying they don't understand why these people are protesting?

1st, they're mad that Wall Street execs were not held accountable for their part in the recession and got huge taxpayer bailouts, yet they're still trying to stick it to the little guy with new fees and such.

10/15/11 4:23 pm

From what I've seen on the TV these people look like the kids whose parents told them they were wonderful, the smartest, best looking and there's no need to compete because no matter what your a winner! Now they are in the real world and find out the truth!

10/15/11 10:35 pm

I want to sat something... but I can't formulate a coherent thought right now.

10/15/11 11:00 am

Obama passed no tax cuts, he only extended the tax cuts Bush had put into place. These ignorant fools want what others have earned and that's all. Do I agree with the ways that some of these super rich gained their fortunes? No I don't, but I am firmly against the idea of redistribution of wealth

flanders
10/16/11 6:08 pm

If any one of them spent a day in Russia they would come back and kiss bank of America's ass

HolyBabble Mississippi
10/15/11 11:02 am

2nd, Wall Street controls D.C.
If you want to make any kind of difference you should start where it all begins..... follow the money. Cut off the head of the snake.

tourniquet
10/15/11 10:39 pm

@ jamesjelly, lay off the ghb.

10/15/11 11:07 am

If you want the wealth get off your lazy asses and earn it. Get a damn job and aspire to achieve that level of wealth. I bust my ass everyday at work and love it. I earn every last penny and do everything I can to earn more. If you want it, earn it yourself

10/15/11 4:26 pm

Reality ucks and no you can't have sex in public or crap on the policeman's car! There does need to be a full investigation of Wall Street and DC by a special prosecutor!

veritas1 Panda
10/15/11 10:41 pm

@Tourniquet. Your comment pretty much show the problem we face:

We as people have lost faith in the only entity in the world capable of solving our problems. Until that fundamentally changes, nothing will happen. For that reason, the tea party is more…focused on the hindrance to a solution…

Jzz California
10/15/11 10:41 pm

jamesjelly. you don't need to formulate a coherent thought to sit. just bend your knees and let your bum fall and hope there is a chair there. :)

10/16/11 1:05 pm

Majority of them are hypocritical socialist'. They complain about corporations whilst they sport smartphones, digital cameras, designer threads, etc, etc. They need to beat the streets for jobs. They are out there (jobs), may not pay 100K to start. Screw em I say! Or pack em off to Communist China.

veritas1 Panda
10/16/11 6:12 pm

@DenverDM. Well he did raise more money than any candidate in history so a correlation may be the result of that…but an article with the specifics would be interesting! You do bring up a good point? Why now? Well…I don't think they are protesting the bailouts exclusively but rather everything.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
10/18/11 2:52 am

Those who sit on their asses and don't pay taxes deserve 00000

10/15/11 10:42 pm

I love the belief that giving corrupt politicians and their back room deals is going to pass out the higher taxes down to the poor. That extra money will just continue to pay for sweetheart deals to bankrupt "green" companies or funnel it into 4 dollar muffins at their meetings.

veritas1 Panda
10/15/11 10:42 pm

…whereas the OWC protestors are focused on the source if the problem.

But the issue is, the tea party, wrongly in my opinion, believes that we should NOT hold corporations accountable for their actions because this is somehow killing jobs and further adding RJ the burden of business.

HolyBabble Mississippi
10/15/11 11:10 am

The 2009 economic stimulus bill actually reduced federal income taxes for tax year 2009 for 98 percent of all working families and individuals. This total includes the 95 percent of working families that will or have received tax credits in the range of $400 to $800.

3rdSide
10/15/11 4:34 pm

just not Eric Holder, please

spoiler Michigan
10/15/11 10:43 pm

Check out the link I posted below. I don't see how u can't want these things as an American.

veritas1 Panda
10/16/11 6:15 pm

@Khackee you can copy and paste, too? Now relate that definition to your point. How is accountability on the part of corporations socialism?
@rosebud. They are there (in Zucotti Park) legally. What some protestors do may not be legal but them being there is. Also socialism is not a form of…

10/16/11 1:11 pm

And they are not the "99%". They are probably the .0065% that want a pure utopian socialist society. The true 99% pay their bills, VOTE, work hard and take pride in the fruits of their labor, and can see right through this BS OWS group for what they are. We protest @ the voting booth.

HolyBabble Mississippi
10/15/11 11:11 am

They're not asking for a handout you stoned moron. They're asking for fairness.

veritas1 Panda
10/16/11 6:16 pm

…economy. Khackee just posted the definition of socialism. Lol

fairness a coward dies 1000 deaths
10/15/11 4:52 pm

Veritas
It's a double standard alright. Ows is growing worldwide. While tea is being poured out. Looks like they want to save face. While ows wants change based not on politics but on what's the right thing to do. I hope it succeeds.

I AM THE 99%!!!!!!

10/17/11 11:33 am

@rosebud, using social networking is just a sign of the times! It's available so use it! They had their bullhorns taken away in an effort to hush them. They've had to resort to other means to get their message across.

HolyBabble Mississippi
10/15/11 11:13 am

They're asking for corporate greed and big money to be taken out of our political system.

10/17/11 11:36 am

@rosebud, you're right! Why not just stop buying from these companies, vote with your pocketbook! You show me a company that doesn't have their goods manufactured in another country in order to make millions and I'll get right on that!

10/15/11 4:57 pm

fairness: let's see if you can get any of your flea baggers elected to office, then we will know if your in the game.

10/16/11 6:19 pm

A theory or social system of social organization... Is government?

10/15/11 5:01 pm

By the way why aren't they in DC? That's where the problem solvers are supposed to be. What do they think Wall Streets going to do? Come out of their buildings with bags of cash for everyone and apologize?

veritas1 Panda
10/15/11 10:49 pm

@spoiler. I love those demands! Wow! More corporate accountability including prosecutions for the unprecedented fraud. More oversight for the biggest corporations.

No more shady campaign donations. Lobbying reform. What's the problem?

10/16/11 6:21 pm

Government is a social system. However, that does not mean all social systems are government.

langlsd
10/15/11 11:28 am

@jessie74 they aren't asking for fairness, if they were they wouldn't be only be looking at the income of the wealthy. They would also be looking at how 53% of Americans don't pay income taxes at all, that's not fair either. They want equality of outcome, that isn't realistic.

SKSchultz
10/15/11 5:06 pm

The occupy movement is a joke. Just a bunch of entitlement minded people. I'm low income and I work my tail off for what I have.

Jzz California
10/15/11 10:50 pm

veritas the tea party started out protesting wall street and the bail outs. now they have been taken over by the religous ultra conservatives.

10/16/11 6:24 pm

You can have a democracy, monarchy, ect while socialist. It deals with the economy. The government controls the economy, but socialism isn't the form of government. It's a democracy, dictatorship, monarchy, oligarchy...

10/15/11 5:07 pm

Those people are an embarrassment

spoiler Michigan
10/15/11 10:51 pm

Thankyou veritas!! Will everyone commenting on this subject please look up the link I posted and get educated before u pass judgment?

10/18/11 4:13 am

@rosebud, have you looked at any of the products you buy? I'm not talking food, I mean everyday necessities like pencils, pots, blankets, clothing (haven't found clothes made in the US for years). Not just overseas products, take for example Box tops for education. I refuse to clip that crap.

al3cn
10/16/11 6:26 pm

The tea party sure did. Turned congress into children.

10/18/11 4:16 am

Con't. They want me to clip for the convenience of donating .10 ! Gimme a f@cking break! If they had kind hearts they would just donate portions to schools in need without the begging. Kids are some of their biggest consumers, way to give back to your community.

spoiler Michigan
10/15/11 10:52 pm

We are all literally a part of this. Hence: the 99%.

tourniquet
10/15/11 10:53 pm

@ Veritas, Who is the only entity that can solve our problems?

Sidebar: when Rick perry tried to defend the Texas dream act, cons and TEA parties got upset. I don't want to subsidise for illegals or the damn tea parties kids either, nor the OWS. Everyone just pay your own damn way.

tourniquet
10/15/11 10:56 pm

@ spoiler, I read the list, a lot more than banking grievances.

Bev
10/15/11 5:24 pm

The right thing to do? Are you nuts? Stand in NYC for 3-4 weeks and bitch about your student loans? Hahahaha