Dazey November 18th, 2014 3:00pm

Rock legend Neil Young is boycotting Starbucks because he believes they oppose the Vermont law requiring labels on food that contains genetically modified ingredients. Do you care if your food is genetically modified in any way?

mim formerly 97123
11/18/14 6:44 pm

I think antibiotics use in livestock production is much more worrisome than GMOs.

susanr Colorado
11/18/14 9:54 am

not contain GMO products," which is meaningless).

theW0lf Leader of the Pack
11/18/14 10:13 am

I do very much. It's extremely harmful to your health and I want to AT LEAST know what I'm eating. If this wasn't such a big deal, then why are all the major food companies fighting it? They're hiding something. From you. And yet you don't care.

susanr Colorado
11/18/14 9:53 am

changed, and that's just unfeasible. That's why you get labeling like "may contain soy/peanut/corn oil" - to cover possibilities for changing supply. There's no way to incorporate that flexibility into GMO labeling (it would look like "may or may

jvc1133 61535
11/18/14 8:42 am

No, and I don't read labels, surprised Neil Young can.

eLucidate writing
11/18/14 12:17 pm

No. Labelling only furthers the idea that GMOs are dangerous, or that GMO actually means anything.

jab87
11/18/14 12:23 pm

It's almost impossible to know what your eating in today's day in age. I just want to live life.

GOODLOOKING 37174
11/18/14 11:38 am

GMO's are bad. Period.

kimberlyhope Florida
11/18/14 6:08 pm

I honestly could not care less about them, but I do believe our food should be labeled.

susanr Colorado
11/18/14 9:51 am

No, GMO food doesn't concern me (at least at present; there is some potential for issues). Requiring food to be labelled, especially packaged food, would be pretty ridiculous, though. Companies would have to change packaging every time their supply

DonWichita Kansas
11/18/14 1:12 pm

No, but if you answered yes, you might as well quit eating. Genetic Modification has been done for centuries through cross-breeding. Today's cows, wheat, corn, rice, apples, oranges, potatoes, tomatoes, etc, etc, are not what they started out to be.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/18/14 7:28 pm

No, I really don't. I love Neil Young, and I'm fine with seeing Starbucks go away and bring back the donut stores, but this isn't an issue I would boycott anything over.

Spellur DDD
11/18/14 2:42 pm

Gmos are not unhealthy at all. You can use arguments such as saying they taste worse or go against nature. But saying they are unhealthy is not one of them. Cite a source where you prove your point, and unbiased factual site.

singkitty In the cloud
11/18/14 6:22 pm

I'm sorry that you feel so threatened by the conversation here you feel the need to leave it. I'm trying to figure out why you feel so strongly about it and any actual facts you have supporting those beliefs.

Fungamer2817 Intriguing...
11/18/14 11:12 am

I don't care but I'd like to know.

theW0lf Leader of the Pack
11/18/14 4:40 pm

Cross breeding isn't the same as twisting the DNA of a corn seed so farmers can flood the field with RoundUp and still make a profit. And fyi: "stop eating" is a terrible argument point

singkitty In the cloud
11/18/14 11:17 am

I don't care, but it should be listed. I don't know why he's picking on Starbucks when TONS of other businesses are doing the same. Our food industry is a joke.

DeusOrbus Stay Positive
11/18/14 8:11 am

I just want them to label it, there isn't anything wrong with GMO's, other than super bugs, which are avoidable, but I digress, just label them so people will realize they've been eating them for years and quit bitching.

TomM
11/18/14 8:26 pm

Do you ever buy bread, ice cream, candy, soft drinks, cereal, ketchup which is not organic (and there any many more). Because they all contain sugar or high fructose corn syrup, which are GMO. It's impossible to live without getting any.

EarlyBird Portland
11/18/14 8:30 am

I couldn't care less about GMO's.

Dazey Beagles Rule
11/18/14 10:06 am

That's a really good point. I was of the "full disclosure" mindset, but you have made me think twice.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
11/18/14 4:30 pm

Humans have been eating genetically modified organisms since we first started farming and animal husbandry.

Harmful to our health? How?

susanr Colorado
11/18/14 10:12 am

Even that sounds cumbersome to me. Three different places to put each vegetable? And hoping for no mixups in the supply line, including when store employees restock.

theW0lf Leader of the Pack
11/18/14 10:15 am

I'd at least like to know what I'm buying and eating for my own health preference. I have a right to know, don't i? The food companies are hiding something from me and I don't like that

theW0lf Leader of the Pack
11/18/14 10:16 am

Me too! Good grief!

Spellur DDD
11/20/14 8:20 am

Where's the evidence then?

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
11/19/14 9:08 pm

People argue against evolution. People argue against climate change. People argue against Earth being round. That's a profoundly stupid argument.

theW0lf Leader of the Pack
11/18/14 4:59 pm

I never thought or said he owned Tyson chicken. But nevermind that. If you want to eat carelessly go ahead but it's my choice to eat Organic. Do you normally criticize people's health and their choices regarding it?

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
11/18/14 5:19 pm

Raptor, how do you, or even do you, differentiate between genetic modifications in the lab and through selective breeding?

fredd TrumpLand
11/18/14 6:54 pm

GM food is labeled in most of Europe, although I agree it's far from perfect, it's not impossible.

DonW, genetic engineering is not the same as selecting breeding.

susanr Colorado
11/18/14 9:55 am

Well, except that every time one ingredient for something like, say, a cake mix was unavailable in non-GMO form & the company had to sub a GMO, packaging would have to be reprinted. And that's just going to happen. I see it as unworkable.

Spellur DDD
11/21/14 9:18 pm

We're still waiting Raptor...

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
11/18/14 4:28 pm

Almost everything we eat is hectic ally modified, either in the lab or through selective breeding.

susanr Colorado
11/18/14 10:10 am

I think it's probably a lot easier for stuff like produce, but even then the store itself would have to keep close track of which stuff it was putting in which bins, when restocking. Separate sections for organic, non-GMO & "regular" maybe?

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
11/21/14 11:01 pm

None of of are yelling at anyone, let alone each other.

So you won't answer questions or produce your evidence?

Your entire position is summarily dismissed. Your opinion on this topic has zero value and will be ignored.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
11/20/14 6:37 am

Strongly agree. That is beginning to worry me.

theW0lf Leader of the Pack
11/18/14 10:15 am

I agree fredd, why NOT label it?

theW0lf Leader of the Pack
11/18/14 4:38 pm

Do you know for a fact that Tyson (Note: ALSO A FOOD COMPANY) wasn't paid for his silly little video? GMOs grew massive tumors on rats within 6 months

theW0lf Leader of the Pack
11/18/14 4:39 pm

Very true, but it is still slightly possible to avoid them

theW0lf Leader of the Pack
11/18/14 4:41 pm

FINALLY - someone who knows what they're talking about!

shiculka optimistic realist
11/18/14 4:43 pm

The real problem here is why are these companies willing to pay millions of dollars to prevent labeling. Unless they are hiding something. Labeling GMO's is mandatory in Europe and it didn't cause any price rise as those companies claim it would.

shiculka optimistic realist
11/18/14 4:47 pm

People have the right to know whether they are buying a tomato or a tomato crossed with fish DNA.

singkitty In the cloud
11/18/14 11:18 am

How are GMOs harmful to your health?

Pirate Uses the Tap
11/18/14 8:03 am

If I know something is a GMO or a food that has it in it I will not eat it, like corn. I want labels!

DonWichita Kansas
11/18/14 3:51 pm

fredd & theRapt0r, just assume that over the centuries all editable things have been Genetically Modified and get on with a life. The other point is the cost of labeling the same food differently because one has onions & the other has pickles.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
11/19/14 9:08 pm

So you do or do not differentiate between genetic modifications made in the lab and those done through selective breeding?

fredd TrumpLand
11/18/14 10:48 pm

Wrong, GM food is not banned but it is rare. Few GM crops are grown and the USA has even argued that the restrictions are effectively a trade barrier.

singkitty In the cloud
11/22/14 6:19 am

I'm guessing Rapt0r was never on the debate team. I really don't understand how he feels so attacked when being asked pretty basic questions. If you don't want to explain your beliefs then I'm afraid I agree with cite.

singkitty In the cloud
11/18/14 5:04 pm

No I'm not criticizing your food choices. (For the record I think they should be labeled for those who don't want to eat them) I'm still waiting for how they are unhealthy. Where is your source for these rats you speak of?