Show Of Hands November 4th, 2012 12:00am

Have you prayed about the upcoming election? (UQ)

jabinaise Oregon
11/04/12 5:42 pm

I'm atheist. Even if I wasn't, statistics show that prayer is no more effective than crossing fingers. Get over it, god is only a concept and no more.

hazhap1 Las Vegas
11/04/12 7:40 pm

Religion has no place in politics

dreamitliveit IDLH
11/04/12 7:15 pm

I'm relieved to see some fellow atheists on this app. Religion has caused way too much suffering, and it is time for us to make our presence known (in a calm, rational way of course).

gonk In a psychology textbook
11/04/12 5:44 pm

Prayer is also very good for your health, as is being religious/spiritual in general.

So PRAY ON! ????

GoldenRay On SSBB
11/04/12 6:17 pm

"I pray that whichever candidate is elected president does his best to protect the security of our country and the rights of its citizens"

droo Santa Barbara
11/04/12 6:01 pm

I'm sure God has other things on his mind, like concealing all evidence for his existence, because I can't see any.

bryank21
11/04/12 7:34 pm

I pray that people will wake up and realize there is no god.

jdengel
11/04/12 7:19 pm

I pray for the president on a fairly regular basis. As a Christian God tells us to pray and uplift our leaders even if we disagree with them.

lmurder MDK
11/04/12 7:30 pm

Hahaha no. Religion is fake. Cut your losses and man up.

lovingana
11/04/12 10:02 pm

Yes I have.
I have read some of the comments below and all I have to say is please be respectful to us believers of God. If you want people to respect what you believe, respect what they believe even if you don't agree.

ishady 86451132020
11/04/12 7:47 pm

God doesn't exist, he never existed. You'll have a better chance of getting a response if you fart than if you prey.

Brrrrrrrrr
11/04/12 6:36 pm

If I supported baby killing I'd be ashamed to pray to God too.

stageman99 State of Jefferson.
11/04/12 8:42 pm

Other than saying "Please god, not Romney". Does that count?

christine1986
11/05/12 9:30 am

If as a country we spent less time praying and more time learning we would all make more educated decisions concerning politics as well as every in other part of our lives. Then we would have no more reason to pray for the outcome of an elections.

GoldenRay On SSBB
11/04/12 8:00 pm

Praying doesn't mean wishing for something and having it come true. Some of you appear to think that.

cat64
11/04/12 6:22 pm

Wow. You only believe in something if you can see it? That's very sad.

alymarie
11/05/12 7:46 am

Prayer: how to do nothing and still think you're helping.

yepnope Maryland
11/05/12 6:25 am

The only god republicans emulate is the god of war.

cato Santa Barbara, California
11/04/12 11:11 pm

You bible belters scare the shit out of me.

Tpallidum Los Angeles, CA
11/05/12 7:14 am

2 hands at work accomplish more than 1 million clasped in prayer.

kytoaltoky
11/04/12 7:10 pm

No, I haven't prayed. But to be consistent I also haven't killed a chicken to read its entrails, sacrificed a goat, or wished really hard over a four-leaf clover! If I'm muttering to myself, it's probably because I can't find my wallet or car keys!

Kay41 the Midwest
11/04/12 7:29 pm

You are the kind of person who gives atheists a bad name. Your comment is condescending and the "Santa Claus and Easter Bunny" part is way overused on this app. A nation full of diverse thinkers is what makes America great. To each his own in his religious beliefs. No need to put down others.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
11/04/12 6:30 pm

Like god (even if it existed) would even care who the President was.

yepnope Maryland
11/05/12 8:30 am

I know, you're right. It's a miracle that despite the crushing oppression of Christianity in this country that all of our elected presidents are/were Christians. It was always the nice christian boys who were bullied in school, definitely not the atheists. Atheists have it sooo good in America!!!

RJ1969 SoCal
11/05/12 12:01 pm

I sacrificed a goat

snafu Washington
11/04/12 11:08 pm

People don't need to pray for the election, they need to use their brains for once and learn about the candidates before they cast a vote.

Zaramoth A Damn Commie
11/05/12 12:21 am

No because prayer does nothing

Wert A picture of my junk
11/05/12 1:21 pm

For the last time, we are not a Christian nation. To say it is, is going against the founders and the Constitution and is unpatriotic. Stop it.

Pragmaniac Hipsterville
11/04/12 7:40 pm

We sacrificed a goat. Not prayer, really, more of an offering....

spudman Ohio
11/05/12 5:59 am

Yup! "God, get the hell out of my government. Amen."

christine1986
11/05/12 6:23 am

Christians like to show their faith to others. So atheists are supposed to hide in the shadows?

GoldenRay On SSBB
11/04/12 8:06 pm

The effectiveness of prayers cannot be measured, but the misconception of prayers that all atheists share can. "I wish Romney wins the election" is not praying, it's hoping.

mixhead Oregon
11/04/12 10:14 pm

I see no difference in religions and governments. Both are inevitably corrupt institutions created by man to maintain control over the laymen.

They both thrive off of propaganda, lies, theft, and death. Their history are stories of genocide on the innocent.

RJ1969 SoCal
11/05/12 12:02 pm

no it wasn't. in god we trust wasn't added until the 1950's.

Wert A picture of my junk
11/05/12 1:17 pm

What good would prayer do? Prayer is a useless placebo.

11/05/12 4:48 am

Prayer and Politics should not be mixed....

jabinaise Oregon
11/04/12 5:56 pm

Also, religion has a way of fogging opinion based on faith alone. That can't sustain the diversity of problems we have now. Critical thinking and reason can.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
11/04/12 10:01 pm

If you can find me an example, ANYWHERE, of a scientific example where prayer changed ANY outcome, I will gladly restart my nightly prayer rituals. When you can't, I hope you'll be less condescending towards those who don't see any reason to tilt at windmills.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
11/05/12 1:17 am

Lord, we are dearly in need of Your help. I pray that You would bless us with wise leaders and righteous lawmakers. I pray for clarity and discernment for the voters, that lies would become transparent to them. I pray that those who may try to commit fraud will be stopped. We need You, God. Help us.

EarlyBird Portland
11/05/12 5:32 am

Dear God, if you are real, please prove it to those of us who do not believe. If you are real, let mrO win reelection. If you are not real, Romney will take it. Hear's your chance God, make believers of us!
Thank you.

bryank21
11/04/12 7:58 pm

No one said there is proof that there is no god. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and that is why I don't "claim" that there is proof. The difference is that not believing in god is logical.

mrcalifornia
11/04/12 10:46 pm

I don't pray for one candidate/party to beat the other. I pray for peace, the poor, the underrepresented, the marginalized and the mistreated. Whether remedies to social problems come from the Right or the Left is left to tell. I just pray that peace can be achieved.

yepnope Maryland
11/05/12 7:00 am

It's boring because nobody can argue with them. Rational thought is required to argue hence only atheists are speaking here. I wouldn't mind the religious if they didn't try to inject their irrational views into my government's laws and policies.

praetorianus65
11/04/12 8:28 pm

Jesus was probably apolitical. He didn't call for a rebellion against Roman oppression which disappointed many. He said to give unto Caesar what is Caesar's and basically obey the law. He also said treat your slaves well but didn't speak against slavery as such.

JackTorS Clap you stupid bastards
11/04/12 8:31 pm

Other than "God help us if either of these two top turds wins the elections", no.

Abolitionist Voice of the people
11/05/12 12:56 pm

Honesty, the fact that 64% of ppl votes no, gives me hope for this app. If you pray for an election then you have low standards set for your God and his purpose in our lives.

christine1986
11/05/12 9:48 am

No it's sad that we have such little regard for critical thinking that this is even a question that people would answer positively.

yepnope Maryland
11/04/12 7:33 pm

Studies have shown praying makes no difference. In science I trust.

bryank21
11/04/12 7:54 pm

Brandon the founders of our country were secularists. They made sure not to include religion in the constitution except when they said there is freedom of religion. I would tell them and they would agree with me if they were alive.

yepnope Maryland
11/05/12 6:37 am

Ok deal, but only if you believers promise not to inject any of your religion into another bill or law that effects us nonbelievers in any way. You must keep your religion away from politics and we will respect your beliefs.