droo February 11th, 2014 3:02pm

Is the taboo of women walking around with no shirt or bra simply unnecessary sexualization of breasts?

MrMilkdud
02/11/14 9:52 am

You should probably post lots of
Pictures so everyone understands the question.

MrMilkdud
02/11/14 9:59 am

It was a joke, fiat.
You've reacted like this to jokes in the past, so in case you're unfamiliar with the concept, I'm going to post the entire Wikipedia entry on Jokes for you.

MrMilkdud
02/11/14 10:02 am

The word "joke" has a number of synonyms, including wisecrack, gag, prank, quip, jape and jest.[1] To achieve their end, jokes may employ irony, sarcasm, word play and other devices. Jokes may have a punch line, i.e., an ending to make it humorous.

MrMilkdud
02/11/14 10:02 am

"A joke is something spoken, written, or done with humorous intention.[1] Jokes may have many different forms, e.g., a single word or a gesture (considered in a particular context), a question-answer, or a whole short story.

MrMilkdud
02/11/14 10:02 am

Jokes are typically for the entertainment of friends and onlookers. The desired response is generally laughter; when this does not happen the joke is said to have "fallen flat" or "bombed".

IMO atoms, space, opinion
02/11/14 1:20 pm

She better not be surprised?! Are you serious?! Why is that? Because a man can't be expected to control himself?! He may see a boob and lose control? Maybe your urges would drive you to rape but I can see a naked breast as just that. A breast.

MrMilkdud
02/11/14 10:02 am

However, jokes have other purposes and functions, common to comedy/humour/satire in general.

JennaF sunflower state of mind
02/11/14 2:36 pm

What a disgusting thing to say. Why the hell shouldn't a guy be expected to control himself?

Vincere Seattle
02/11/14 11:32 am

The counter examples here are just so obvious I shouldn't even have to list them. Western Europe, tribal areas of Africa and South America, many Polynesian cultures. The sexualization of breasts is a cultural thing, it is not inherent.

IMO atoms, space, opinion
02/11/14 1:58 pm

What's ludicrous is to blame a woman for a man's lack of self control. Or to think any woman is "asking for it" by the way she dresses. Yes, we are animals. No, it's not acceptable to behave like one.

fredd TrumpLand
02/11/14 10:19 am

Yeah. Having been to places where topless women roam (and talked to them how it feels), it's definitely not desensitization. The local men definitely pay attention, just in a way which is more offhand and respectful.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
02/11/14 12:47 pm

MD - well you just made me laugh!'

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
02/11/14 11:28 am

tlaney, are you suggesting that a scantily clad woman is "asking for it" bec she should know what men are like and shouldn't be expected to control themselves?

ThePhlegm The Lone Star State
02/11/14 11:43 am

Breast feeding does not turn me on in the slightest and I do not see anything wrong with it either.

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
02/11/14 8:35 am

Rather have a woman flaunt her breasts than a man actually. But my opinion is biased.

MrMilkdud
02/11/14 10:17 am

I hope that helps.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/11/14 10:54 am

make things far worse, and would contribute to sexual violence against women. You cannot change the fact that exposed breasts are seen by many males as an invitation. We guys are jerks. :o)

KudosToYou California
02/11/14 11:14 am

Speak for yourself.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/11/14 1:43 pm

I don't believe either gender prefers dangling, deflated breasticles.

Diogenes FreeMeBe
02/11/14 1:45 pm

Boobs are 2nd base, tlaney! :0P

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
02/11/14 6:45 pm

That was amazing X'D

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/11/14 10:51 am

No – covering up serves a very important purpose. Men see a lot of breasts in their lifetimes, and you never get "desensitized." They are always going to be "attractive and distractive." That is simply a fact of life. Eliminating this taboo would

rebelfury76 No Justice, No Peace
02/11/14 10:12 am

Absolutely and it's stupid.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
02/11/14 1:43 pm

person who thinks they can do whatever they want because they feel justified by what they THINK society's norms are, are simply avoiding responsibility for their own actions.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
02/11/14 1:45 pm

I also think you are underestimating most men in the US. if in fact most men thought this way women would be attacked and/or raped nearly every ten minutes (just an estimate)

droo Santa Barbara
02/11/14 8:15 am

Yes, but this question is referring to walking around with neither a shirt nor a bra, not simply failing to wear a bra.

MrMilkdud
02/11/14 10:01 am

The attraction is hardwired into men. This is a proven fact.
What you see in those cultures is actually desensitization, rather than evidence of artificial sensitization in our culture.

jchristianreed South Carolina
02/11/14 9:26 am

I try so hard not to look. But my eyes just won't cooperate.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
02/11/14 1:42 pm

because unless she actually verbalizes the word YES then it's NO until otherwise stated. according to your argument any man can assume anything at any time and use "how things are"in American society to support his actions. fact of the matter is, any

146787456777 .......
02/11/14 3:28 pm

a woman has the right to stroll through central park naked and not be raped. this statement is ridiculous.

jmw7477 Indiana
02/11/14 8:14 am

Bras are torture devices. I rarely wear one.

MrMilkdud
02/11/14 10:40 am

So telling men that their attraction to breasts is just a weakness caused by some artificial inculturation of female objectification is patently false.
It's no different than salivating when we see food.
It's natural, but should be reigned in.

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
02/11/14 5:15 pm

Rocker, a victim is NEVER responsible for their rape; as for humans acting like animals - I thought it was our brains and souls that put us above acting like animals?

Vincere Seattle
02/11/14 2:00 pm

If a guy sees a topless woman in a public place, he'll follow the "looky but no touchy" rule. He's not going to just jump her like an animal in heat.

Source: I'm an American male

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
02/13/14 3:19 pm

When someone says something that would be considered outrageous, like asking someone to post naked pictures on SOH, it should usually be taken as a joke. There are rare cases of people actually being pretty ridiculous, but take them as a form of

TalkPolitics Chevy Chase, MD
02/13/14 3:20 pm

humor, at least initially.

RJ1969 SoCal
02/11/14 8:31 am

I don't know, but I am all for it!

chickencookie Jihad Joe
02/11/14 8:49 am

Its one thing to go braless in winter with a coat on and sweater in the house. But summertime in a white tee - give me a break. How about those protesters who go bare to make some kind of point. Lol. Didn't mean to end sentence with "double "meaning

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
02/11/14 12:04 pm

please explain "not thinking straight in this society"

Cole12 ...
02/11/14 8:10 am

Pretty much.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/11/14 3:30 pm

I did NOT say that men were justified in acting on those feelings. I simply said that many men felt them. I get it – you're a feminist, and you think that I'm some kind of a sexist male chauvinist pig. You could not be more wrong. I'm a Christian who

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/11/14 3:32 pm

who has been happily married for 40 years. I'm analyzing, not confessing. And I'm not advocating that men act on those impulses. I am advocating that we all have a little bit of common sense and keep our clothes on. It has worked well for centuries.

duey in a fools paradise
02/11/14 10:35 am

Women contribute to this taboo as well it's not just men. Upgrading sizes, the way some dress (look at Hollywood low cut dresses) all adds to the wanting, desiring something that's right there but you can't quite have until that intimate moment alone

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/11/14 4:23 pm

V, I sure don't think we can fix anything by just all of a sudden dropping our clothes. I frankly find this subject kind of ridiculous, because I don't understand why anyone would seriously defend public nudity. That's just nuts (NPI).

MrMilkdud
02/11/14 9:57 am

It isn't an artificial or cultural construct. Straight men's brains are hard wired to react to breasts. There have been plenty of studies done on it-

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
02/11/14 6:07 pm

I have a big problem with those glossy mags and ads!

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
02/11/14 3:38 pm

And Dio, you smarta$$, I said "first base, etc." to bring to mind the whole system of assigning bases to actions, not because I was confused as to what first base was. But you knew that, didn't you? :-P. :-P. :-P

:o)

Whichendisup uniquely unoriginal
02/11/14 4:28 pm

just curious, what about those women that are fully clothed without low cut blouses or short skirts or overly done makeup or any of the other invitations for rape? How were they supposed to not be surprised by it?

m00lightshadow the moon has returned
02/11/14 9:18 am

I only wear a bra when I'm at work but I don't think I could do no shirt as well.

camigirl
02/11/14 12:25 pm

Yes. Just oversexualization of breasts in general is a problem. Breastfeeding in public? A female shower scene in a film obviously not made for kids?
What atrocities!