Show Of Hands February 21st, 2013 3:15pm

Is your standard of living higher than that of your parents when they were your age?

jkmallia Whatsup
02/21/13 1:03 pm

I think the general standard of living has gone up on its own just because of everything developing

cking
02/21/13 12:44 pm

...but, wait a minute... Everyone is trying to tell us that upward mobility in America is dead... Are you trying to tell me that the class warfare rhetoric doesn't pan out with reality? I'm shocked!

EarlyBird Portland
02/21/13 12:20 pm

My dad was extremely successful at my age. No comparison.

Btw, I'm no slouch but he was way out of my league.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
02/21/13 12:13 pm

You're only 20!! Your a very mature 20 Annie

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
02/21/13 12:11 pm

No, my dad was a mechanic at Boeings that's made a lot more money than my husband who is a high school teacher. My dad knew how to save his money. So they traveled a lot when he retired. My husband cannot afford to retire. I have medical issues and I'm a few years younger than he.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
02/21/13 11:54 am

At my age my parents had one crummy computer with no Interweb, had two itty-bitty square TVs with no cable or satellite, no cellphone, no tablet, and long distance on the landline was ridiculously expensive. Their cars only got about 20 mpg, no traction or stability control, not even idiot brakes.

timeout Boston Strong
02/21/13 11:45 am

I think mine is better, my parents lived in a much simpler time, you could get by with a lot less, but everyday living was much harder. Technology has come a long way to make our life much easier.

Grocker
02/21/13 11:27 am

No, I save a lot more than they did, which is why I will have more when I am their age.

AnnieM The Island
02/21/13 11:25 am

neighborhood with good schools and dad was moving every couple of weeks to find work in his field (construction).
If our finances and standard of living stay the same, then in a couple of years I'll have to say "no" again since both ground great paying jobs when they were in their early-to-mid 30s.

AnnieM The Island
02/21/13 11:25 am

Yes. A few years ago I would have said "no." I was in more-or-less the same financially place I am now, but in their early 20's my parents were pretty well off. When they divorced they bother took a big hit financially and by the time they were my age (30) mom was working 2+ jobs to keep us in a…

trepidhickory Ayy Lmao
02/21/13 11:22 am

My mom was the 3rd of 5 children of parents that came here from Mexico they didn't have much at first but things got better later. but I am going to be the first in my family to graduate college so I can definately say my quality of life has been better

thesumis182
02/21/13 11:14 am

My dads childhood was the best, even though the standard of living was lower then. He still had way more fun than I could even dream of. My mom had money, but she rejected that privileged life for love. Everything nowadays costs so much! Much more than when my parents were young.

Huntz
02/21/13 11:11 am

Are you saying city=good and farm=bad. i farm for a living and own a smart phone, work hard spring to fall, and have all winter off. I dont think that sound to bad.

1111111 Wayne
02/21/13 11:08 am

Wait, they get TWO meals? I need to send more of them to prison camps.

andydrew Behind You
02/21/13 11:07 am

Shut up, our people are fine! They eat one hearty meal a week. That's twice as good as when I was your age.

1111111 Wayne
02/21/13 11:06 am

Ummmmmmm..... No.

mikeg San Jose
02/21/13 10:57 am

Yes. My mom was single and a homeowner. I'm married homeowner but we have 2 incomes.

FemmeAdamWest in the Tardis library
02/21/13 10:56 am

Sounds fun actually. Although you aren't one of those people with signs that say "traveling need food/money" are you?

inge MIA
02/21/13 10:55 am

Much better. Thanks to college and the military, we are doing pretty well.

angryathiest seeing double
02/21/13 10:48 am

No but that is because I choose to live out of my pack and travel the country 6 months a year. So I'm like a hobo with a smart phone

lmurder MDK
02/21/13 10:13 am

Idk that's hard to say. Father has always been rich.

GoldenRay On SSBB
02/21/13 10:04 am

In terms of medicine and health, generally yes. Of course there is the increase of self-induced diseases, but we now have technology to survive things former generations couldn't.

ClunkySpoon Next to Oleta Adams
02/21/13 9:51 am

Yes. I make more money adjusted for inflation and have way more discretionary income. Still do.

opie99 left coast best coast
02/21/13 9:49 am

I would say about the same. They had more kids and owned a home. Each only has one college grad and are middle class. We rent but we aren't interested in buying so... I would say its a draw.

redrocker Idaho
02/21/13 9:47 am

hard to say. my dad probably made more money in adjusted terms, but we have so much more stuff and everything is better now.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
02/21/13 9:35 am

I got a AAS degree and I still got stuck in minimum wage jobs. so no.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
02/21/13 9:33 am

My dad had a Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering, and worked at GM for 40 yrs, Mom was a nurse, but she was a stay@ home mom till I was in HS then she went back to work. I have seizures, so I can only get so many jobs, because you say you have epilepsy, they automatically say no. So

justingmiranda The Bay Area
02/21/13 9:27 am

I'm substantially more wealthy than my parents at 30.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
02/21/13 9:15 am

Nope. My parents were married by then. That's a whole dimension of quality of life I don't have.

natedog1
02/21/13 9:09 am

Unfortunately yes.

melders Entertainment Sometimes
02/21/13 9:08 am

I'm about to get out of college with no debt and a steady job, so..... yes.

tmacsurprise no pictures just numbers
02/21/13 9:05 am

It's subjective,my parents had 3-kids 2-incomes 2-cars 1-house in a mid.class neighborhood on 40-60hr jobs w/benies. I am single w/3 kids(2disabled)1- truck 1-home. I am self employed in this crappy economy and I have the same standards.not where I want/plan to be, but,damn proud of it!!!

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
02/21/13 9:05 am

I can actually say yes, my standard of living is higher than my parents. Both of my parents work hard and make good money. I make a little bit more than both of my parents. It's funny because everyone expected me to become something completely different than what I am today.

jsonman
02/21/13 8:50 am

Make more than both my parents combined! And they told me computers would get me no where

izak81 Indiana
02/21/13 8:49 am

My parents grew up on farms, now I'm in the city with smart phones.

cato Santa Barbara, California
02/21/13 8:46 am

Yes. My parents were serial underachievers.

suppressedID IMEACH BIDEN
02/21/13 8:46 am

Better than self-indulgent Boomers?!?

Yes. And still cleaning up their mess.

tommysq Chicagoland
02/21/13 8:42 am

I had a single mom. I'm married with two incomes. Hell yes!

jms in the middle of Nowhere
02/21/13 8:35 am

Yes. We have half as many children and at least as much income. We are buying our home and plan to stay forever. They rented most of their life and moved every few years on job transfers. They're doing better now because the kids are all gone!!!

Melon No Ducklips
02/21/13 8:35 am

I make more by myself in a year than both my parents did.
I also have more debt than they did too.
But overall higher standard.

kellyw The Mississippi Delta
02/21/13 8:32 am

My parents were living out of a shack while they built a house by hand. We have a house, a lot of land, cars that run. Better quality of life, for sure.