elianastar May 17th, 2017 7:27pm

ABC is cancelling its SECOND highest rated show, Last Man Standing. Says it's becuz comedy on Fri doesn't work for them. Apparently moving to a night that comedy does is not an option? There is a petition to keep it; consider signing?

EchoSeven
05/19/17 9:06 pm

Last Man Standing had higher ratings than Black-ish, Shark Tank and Goldbergs, yet all the latter shows were renewed. Interestingly, Tim Allen had recently appeared on a late night talk show remarking how living in Hollywood is akin to 1930's Germany, where your livelihood will be destroyed if you don't censor your own speech and opinions.

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/17/17 7:25 pm

Signed, love the show, hope it gets picked up somehow, sometimes shows come back

bluerum29 optimistic idealist
05/17/17 7:29 pm

Favorite show on tv, watch reruns on cmt most nights as well

MrsCrayonWax
05/17/17 6:08 pm

Cash is king. Ratings dominate. That is the root answer. Private company choosing to air what they want when and how they want.

I have only seen bits and pieces and the show wasn't really my cup of tea. I'm more into dramas and the last sitcoms I enjoyed were friends and Seinfeld. Having said that, I don't know if this is some sort of a conspiracy. What I do know is that a show can't just be moved because that's not how it works. Everything is a fine tuned science in the ratings/ad sales business. There were other shows that were canceled as well. Is it possible the show was canceled if it was conservative leaning? Sure. If that's not the demo they have or want, it's possible. There is no secret in target audiences.

05/17/17 6:29 pm

Then that makes the decision make *less* sense, not more. It is the second highest rated comedy on ABC & the 3rd highest *scripted* show on ABC; overall, for all of ABC programming, it was the 12th highest rated show.

But after ABC gets a new head honcho & Tim Allen has the audacity to "admit" he attended Trump's Inauguration, the show is cancelled... and they are rebooting Roseanne, which draw a totally different audience.

05/17/17 6:38 pm

Which is fine. Their network they can do what they want for whatever they choose...

... and the people who have gotten sick of the political tone of almost every tv show still running will make their own choices. We watched two shows on ABC & only two: Last Man Standing and Designated Survivor. DS is about to, or has just, wrapped for the season & we are selling our DISH setup. We're tired of paying what it costs to watch the few shows we bother to follow when we can download & watch offline what we want, when we want - if we want.

MrsCrayonWax
05/17/17 6:38 pm

Which goes back to my point. They made a decision in which they felt they could get more revenue and a bigger audience in the time slot in question. It's not a secret why they do things. It makes complete sense.

I've worked extensively with tv ratings and you can run them any way you want and make them fit any narrative you want in advertising but the bottom line is the bottom line. They run the shows with the highest rate of return. Scheduling is a calculated thing and shows can't just be interchanged without focus groups and market research.

"I canceled ‘Last Man Standing’ for the same business and scheduling reasons that I canceled ‘Dr. Ken,’ ‘The Real O'Neals,’ ‘The Catch’ and ‘American Crime,’” Dungey said Tuesday, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

"Last Man Standing was a challenging one for me because it was a steady performer in the ratings, but once we made the decision not to continue with comedies on Fridays, that was where we landed.”

05/17/17 6:38 pm

We are choosing books, podcasts & our huge stash of DVDs instead.

There is the thunderous sound of "boycott ABC" all over the Internet since the word came it was cancelled. I really don't think it is *about* Last Man Standing. I think a lot of ppl are just sick of the whole entertainment crap fest & have just decided to do something else since no one is listening unless you say what they want to hear.

I know we've hit our limit.

MrsCrayonWax
05/17/17 6:40 pm

I stopped watching Scandal and Grey's because they got extremely political and when I watch a drama, it's because I'm sick of watching politics on the news and need a break. I do enjoy DS. The key to a good show is to not alienate any members of your audience. TV sitcoms have failed to do that. People just want to be entertained.

05/17/17 6:47 pm

Then why the comment that comedy just isn't working on Fridays for them? If they are going to replace a successful comedy show with another comedy show? I haven't heard what time slot Roseanne Show will be placed but if it *replaces* LMS, in the same time slot on the same day... then they are simply lying about why they cancelled it. Which is their prerogative.

05/17/17 6:48 pm

I understand the basics of programming & the economy of viewership, etc. what they are saying contradicts what they are doing. It's their network they can do as they please.

What they please has seriously pissed off a *lot* of ppl. I'm not personally all that invested in it. I was doing something else before I found Last Man Standing & I've got plenty of options when it's done. But what they've decided may not prove to be in their best interest when all is said & done. Which affects me in no way whatsoever. So...

05/17/17 6:55 pm

Well, Rosanne Show, is not likely to charm the pants off people. πŸ˜† We watched about two seasons of the first incarnation before lost all interest & it wasn't political then. I can't imagine it won't be political this time. Can't seem to watch 2/3 or more of anything anymore that isn't political... and then only from a single viewpoint.

05/17/17 6:56 pm

::sigh:: It's just sad. All the way around. Which is why we're selling the DISH. We realized it had mostly become a dependable source of frustration & irritation. We started leaving it off more & more this past couple months or so & realized life is a *lot* more satisfying without it. We haven't even hooked it up the 3 weeks & haven't missed it a bit.

MrsCrayonWax
05/17/17 6:59 pm

I hear they were opting for dramas on Fridays. All the networks are shifting. I can't see tv sustaining itself for much longer with the cost per episode or doing business. People aren't watching like they used to and aren't slaves to the tv like they once were. I think a shift to more cheaper programming is where it's going.

05/17/17 7:43 pm

Networks are either gonna have to figure out how to adapt to the DVR/streaming reality or go the way of the dinosaurs, I'm thinking. I wonder how they are maintaining with *all* the options consumers have now? It isn't just three networks & PBS anymore & never will be again.

05/17/17 7:44 pm

I've been wondering how they can continue to compete with all the streaming options - especially now that those are offering original programming which are often as good or better than network shows. Ppl don't do "must see tv" anymore. They either DVR programs or opt for streaming more & more.

And frankly, too many shows just aren't worth my time. We watched a lot of reruns of older shows that are simply better plus new programs from streaming services that we can watch at our convenience.

When I snapped to the fact *most* of what we watch is available - on *our* "schedule" - from Netflix & Amazon, I told him it was silly to keep DISH so he can see his football games. Took him almost two months to come around & I didn't push it. We do so much out of habit & when you really stop to think about it, some of it is just silly.

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
05/17/17 4:11 pm

Never heard of the show until this little controversy began. I have better things to do than watch tv sitcoms...

mstt
05/17/17 3:37 pm

Boycot ABC

05/17/17 3:59 pm

Well, we just decided to sell our DISH system so we'll pretty much be boycotting all of them. πŸ˜† But we watched practically nothing on ABC anyway, so would still be kinda hard anyway to make much of a dent.

We decided to cut the cable becuz we realized we just didn't watch enough tv to justify the continued expense. We download stuff we want to watch from Netflix & AmazonPrime to watch offline when we feel like watching something & now get all our news online... which we mostly did anyway.

voc I am...what I am
05/17/17 4:22 pm

Are you getting a streaming player like the Roku or Apple TV? We cut cable about 3 years ago now and absolutely love it. We have Hulu, amazon and Netflix, plus a bunch of channels you can get on the Roku. I'll never go back

MrsCrayonWax
05/17/17 5:53 pm

Cable is the antichrist.

05/17/17 7:04 pm

Ostensibly, hubby talked me into getting DISH so he could watch the football games he couldn't see otherwise & we couldn't use our MiFi to stream *anything"! It ate up our monthly data allotment in no time at all. One movie ::poof:: no more data for anything.

We were staying in south WA in the winters until this year & even if we paid for cable at the park, they didn't get the channel that carried the two teams he follows. So he "had" to get satellite to be able to see them.

05/17/17 7:10 pm

We'd cut cable tv service six months before we went fulltime RV & went without for almost a year after we moved into the RV, until the next football season started after we rolled away from the house.

Netflix & DVDs served just fine instead. The kids were living with us at the house & they had Netflix so we watched a few things on their service to see if we liked it. Got the free Hulu, thinking if we liked it we could share the two services since we lived in the same house. Cancelled Hulu before the free trial was up. Not. Impressed. (I understand it's better now. That was spring 2011)

05/17/17 7:14 pm

Without landline internet, it doesn't make sense to pay for any other services. We've been AmazonPrime members almost from the start.

The first two years RVing we had free internet here in our home park (where we were most of the year) & we watched more Netflix & Amazon than DISH when we were here. But they are upgrading the internet & it'll cost $1.20 p/d now.

05/17/17 7:19 pm

When we go into town we stop at the library or Starbucks & download stuff to watch offline now that is an option for both Netflix & AmazonPrime.

The plan now is to buy a day of internet here when we don't want to go into town & download new stuff & watch whatever while we have the internet. He can either watch his games in the clubhouse with others, or we can get a day of cable for him. Since we plan to stay on the OR Coast year round now, football isn't an issue where ever we stay. (He cannot *stand* to miss an OR Ducks game.) πŸ˜†

05/17/17 7:23 pm

And I've discovered we don't have to worry about the offline time limit on the downloaded programs if we turn MiFi on for the *start* of each program! It is already downloaded so doesn't eat up any of our data but it stops the clock from starting on offline time limit. πŸ‘ If we want to watch something again before we go back into town, no problem.

05/17/17 7:31 pm

If we were in an apt with regular internet, we'd probably still do the same thing. Just stream other stuff directly from the internet more than we do now. We were perfectly happy with just Netflix at the house & now that Amazon has added their streaming option to Prime we find plenty between just the two, plus our DVDs.

But we've both been reading more too & doing other things like podcasts. I've got tons of audiobooks too, so if I'm knitting or crocheting, that works as well as tv to keep ADHD under control. It is almost impossible for me to just *sit* & do *one* thing at a time! Can't hyperfocus long enough without another input flowing. Often, tv was on just to occupy my wandering thoughts. I can do that with podcasts & audiobooks just as easily... and pay a lot less!

voc I am...what I am
05/17/17 7:44 pm

Very cool!

voc I am...what I am
05/17/17 2:22 pm

I already signed. I've never watched the show, but I've like everything Tim Allen has been in.

Thanks for unignoring me. I'll do my best to make sure that doesn't happen again.

05/17/17 4:00 pm

My pleasure πŸ˜ƒ

mistah Happy Happy Joy Joy
05/17/17 2:11 pm

I'm just going to copy and paste what I had wrote in 4JC's poll about this.
Actually it's their 12th rated show and third in viewership. Networks don't care how many people watch it if their target demographics(the 18-49 crowd) don't watch it. But I'll sign anyways because I think every show should go out on its own terms.
Source: tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/abc-tv-show-2016-2017-season-ratings/

ptellini Homosuperior
05/17/17 2:05 pm

I have already signed it. Apparently Liberals have too much butt hurt over it.

Kay41 the Midwest
05/17/17 2:02 pm

I'm not interested in that show. I tried to watch it, but couldn't get into it.

MrsCrayonWax
05/17/17 5:54 pm

Same here. I found it to be a bit boring.

Carolynn new jersey
05/17/17 1:50 pm

I don't like the show. I am a fan of home improvement. This one just doesn't do it for me.

Okie1967 Lets go brandon
05/17/17 1:25 pm

Democrats at abc are extremely butthurt over the loss of their party.

05/17/17 1:32 pm

Well, they clearly have plenty of room in their lineup for at least one comedy show since they are dumping LMS but rebooting Roseanne. That alone tells me what the decision is *really* about.

timeout Boston Strong
05/17/17 1:10 pm

There aren't too many good sitcoms on TV, this is one of them. Even though the main character is a hard core conservative and a Trump supporter I find the show enjoyable. Maybe Netflix will pick it up, they carry it.

05/17/17 1:22 pm

Either Netflix or Hallmark Channel would be great options. I signed the petition but have no illusions ABC will change their position. I signed to make a statement THIS is the kind of programming I'd like to see more often.

The petition has almost hit the threshold in only a few days. It is my hope that other networks will see there *is* a demand for programming like this. Not just that someone else will pick up the show but that executives will realize they are completely overlooking a revenue stream.

mtdewbob Arizona
05/17/17 1:00 pm

I signed and I encourage everyone to sign the online petition

05/17/17 12:47 pm

I don't normally care if shows are cancelled or not, even when I have really enjoyed them - as I do Last Man Standing. The more ABC tries to justify their decision, the more it aggravates me:

πŸ”ΉLMS is ABC's *second* highest rated show, so it they aren't cancelling because no one us watching.
πŸ”ΉLMS has been *consistently* supported by a loyal audience for six years & still going strong
πŸ”ΉNow they say, "... we made the decision not to continue with comedies on Fridays..." - so, what? You can't *move* it to your "new comedy night"??? πŸ™„
πŸ”ΉBUT, they are rebooting the Roseanne Show

05/17/17 12:48 pm

πŸ”ΉA consistently stated reason ppl are annoyed about dropping it is that it is the only *current* program that demonstrates ppl don't have to walk lockstep in PC formation to get along & respect one another. There is a strong conservative voice in the main character but *plenty* of liberal voices acting as his foil.
πŸ”Ήthe more ABC tries to explain their decision, the more it appears it one that is *political* becuz none of their "reasons" make any sense in the face of the facts

05/17/17 12:52 pm

If you've not seen the show, it airs on at least three cable networks (you know, becuz it is such a flop): ABC, Hallmark Channel & CMT (Country Music Television). It is also available on AmazonPrime & Netflix.

If you watched Home Improvement, Tim's old show, & liked his humor, it is unlikely you won't enjoy LMS... it is basically the same guy with a different family & premise for the show.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
05/17/17 12:40 pm

I tried watching it. I stopped after it just became, "how stupid is this guy?" every single episode.

05/17/17 12:53 pm

Not everyone's cup of tea. If you didn't like Home Improvement or his stand up, you ain't gonna like LMS. 😁

OhTheIrony Learning from you
05/17/17 12:59 pm

Oh sorry, I was thinking this was another show called "Last Man on Earth". Haha, I didn't know this show existed.

05/17/17 1:28 pm

It is amazing how strong the show has been & yet so many have said they never heard of it! It's been on six years & I didn't know about until about 3 years ago! About 2/3 of the ppl who didn't know about would have probably watched it... which would have made it ABC's #1 show in ratings! Obviously ABC did a lousy job marketing LMS.

Which tells me it would be no risk for someone else to pick up the show. It has plenty of room for growth with proper marketing & access.

Iamamerican California
05/17/17 12:36 pm

Already signed a few days ago. πŸ‘

05/17/17 12:29 pm