PrinceOberyn April 13th, 2016 3:00am

Got any book recommendations for your fellow SOH'ers?

OldPoop
04/13/16 6:27 am

"The War That Ended Peace" (Margaret MacMillan)
"The Blind Watchmaker" (Richard Dawkins)

04/13/16 6:37 am

Added the first one to my to-read list! Thanks!

OldPoop
04/13/16 6:41 am

It is highly detailed . . . but worth the time. All through it, I wanted to scream, "STOP, YOU IDIOTS! Sheeeesh! If you enjoy history, you'll enjoy this!

04/13/16 7:33 am

I love history. I'm requesting it at the library.

Did you ever read 42nd Parallel?

OldPoop
04/13/16 8:08 am

42nd Parallel is one of a trilogy, yes? I've not read it yet. You recommend?

04/13/16 8:10 am

Correct about the trilogy. I completely recommend. It's a masterpiece.

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
04/13/16 6:01 am

Pretty much anything by Nancy Kress - I particularly like the Begger's series.
Cyteen novels and the Foreigner series by CJ Cherryh
Kiln People by David Brin
Partly Cloudy Patriot and Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell
Pretty Good Poems - Collected by Garrison Keillor
Outlander
Lord of the Flies
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Ananzi Boys
Sabriel, Lyrael, Abohrsen by Garth Nix

just off the top of my head.

OldPoop
04/13/16 6:29 am

I've read it four times.....quite a book considering the author was brought up under communism.

JHawk3205 MD
04/13/16 2:58 am

God's Debris

JHawk3205 MD
04/13/16 6:19 pm

Religion wars? I started reading it a while back but never finished it. I really should. Is it as good as the first??

FacePalm That Trick Never Works
04/13/16 6:28 pm

I think so. It is different, more of a story than a thought problem.

JHawk3205 MD
04/13/16 11:08 pm

I thought the first one fit the format of a story pretty well, but I'm assuming you are saying that this story is less thought experiment and more narrative, perhaps?

4boot LaTrineodeur, MN
04/12/16 11:29 pm

...just wanted to see one of literature's greatest titles censored again.

JHawk3205 MD
04/13/16 3:00 am

Use international characters: press and hold the 'I', so you get moby Dïck

JohnBoy47 Jacksonville, FL
04/12/16 11:02 pm

Hagakure, short selections by one of the last samurai on the honor code they lived by. Great meditation material.

Taylorism California
04/12/16 10:39 pm

11/22/63 by Stephen King. Long but so worth it.

mstt
04/12/16 9:47 pm

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

conqueror MS gay atheist
04/12/16 9:43 pm

The Great Gatsby for sure, definitely one of my favorites.

conqueror MS gay atheist
04/12/16 9:44 pm

Oh, and Will Grayson, Will Grayson is another good book to read if you like teen romance.

RyanX
04/12/16 9:39 pm

Currently reading The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky and almost done, really enjoying it. Last read Demian by Herman Hesse and reeeeeeally enjoyed that. Thinking some Murakami or Nabokov next.

sydwel
04/12/16 9:19 pm

East of Eden is my regular recommendation. I also recommend, because I read the latter recently and they share some similarities, The Sound and the Fury and L'élégance du Hérisson (Elegance of the Hedgehog).

04/13/16 6:22 am

East of Eden is probably my favorite book (too tough to pick one though!)

MuffinToots
04/12/16 8:55 pm

Mastering the Trade - John Carter.

04/12/16 8:45 pm

The 42nd Parallel by John Dos Passos
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Daniel Deronda by George Eliot
The Spy who Came in From the Cold by John Le Carre
Candide by Voltaire
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

04/12/16 8:46 pm

And and how could I forget Asimov? I, Robot and his Foundation trilogy are incredible.

And everything by Mark Twain, especially a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

fracy A deeper shade of blue.
04/12/16 8:39 pm

Howl's Moving Castle. It's incredibly charming and I adore it. :)

KingMilo Earth
04/12/16 8:25 pm

Crippled America or the art of the deal

PrinceOberyn ANCIENT CITY STYLE
04/12/16 8:37 pm

Got anything in the area of actual literature?

KingMilo Earth
04/12/16 9:40 pm

I liked the giver series and Sherlock Holmes stories

KingMilo Earth
04/12/16 9:44 pm

Also gifted hands by Ben Carson, even if you don't like him politically, you'll like the book

04/13/16 6:21 am

The Giver is a complete "Brave New World" knockoff dumbed down for kids.

gow488 Korea
04/12/16 8:19 pm

Brave New World is pretty good. It's a depressing read though.

04/12/16 8:46 pm

I liked it too! But it wasn't that depressing actually. I found it pretty uplifting.

gow488 Korea
04/12/16 8:52 pm

*spoiler alert

I found it sad how everything that makes somebody human was lost and the societal progress was stalled indefinitely. The book made me a bit worried about how the future could end up if we aren't careful.

04/12/16 8:59 pm

Huxley was wrong, and Orwell was wrong, and all the doomsdayers and naysayers and apocalypse-waiters were wrong so far. I doubt the time will come when they're right.

On the other hand, though, isn't it comforting to see that there is actually a good part to pain? (Though that's the reason I hated "The Giver"- feel-good with no real meaning. Huxley is better, more subtle.)

gow488 Korea
04/12/16 9:10 pm

Sure he's been wrong so far, but you never know what could happen. If just a few key world events has turned out differently such as Germany not losing WWll or communism not collapsing the world could have become a much more dystopian place.

04/12/16 9:19 pm

No - it was technology that stopped it. The Soviets could build a Berlin Wall, but they could not shut out radio waves, and now they cannot stop anyone from going on SOH and learning about the world. The availability of information is what stopped the world from becoming dystopian.

And next time, when they find a way to circumvent the Information Age, another development will save the world.

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
04/12/16 8:18 pm

I just finished "L'étranger" by Albert Camus. It's French, but I believe there are English translations. It was really good.

04/12/16 8:41 pm

The Stranger?
I'm not such a fan of existentialism, especially how it's written in that book. Mark Twain nihilism is great ("The Mysterious Stranger" available free on iBooks) and some of Camus' short stories are good.

Shreveport New York
04/12/16 8:12 pm

1984 for sure. If you're into something lighter, you can't go wrong with mainstream stuff like Harry Potter (I recommend this x1000; excellent, unique book series) or the Hunger Games trilogy.

04/12/16 8:49 pm

Loved HP, hated Hunger Games.

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/13/16 6:05 am

The movies sucked, but I kind of liked the hunger games. Reminds me of daydreams I used to have

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/13/16 6:06 am

I put it more into a story I mean. Basically would go through a story, not focusing on th e killing part, Lol

04/13/16 6:19 am

😂

The way I looked at it, it had a great concept and then they had to turn it into a stupid teenage love triangle. Ugh.

Shreveport New York
04/13/16 6:31 am

I hated the romance, but the concept of the games themselves and the politics of the world were fascinating. And yeah, the movies kinda sucked compared to the books.

04/13/16 6:36 am

The politics were great except that they were told from the perspective of a teenage idiot.

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/13/16 6:44 am

I suppose it makes more sense to follow the narrator's perspective.. I believe she was smart enough to get what needed to be done accomplished. I didn't see it as much of a love triangle, as Gale (correct me if this isn't his name) was just kind of l

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/13/16 6:46 am

eft as a friend. It seemed like they were going to end up together, but I suppose not.. this isn't a bad outcome. If they were both vying for her attention, I'd say it is a bad outcome. I liked how she got what needed to be done done

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/13/16 6:47 am

even at the end, when (spoilers)

She kills the leader of district 13

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/13/16 6:47 am

I didn't pay attention to the romance. I saw the beginning as a political move, but figured it'd turn into something else later.. I'm glad there wasn't so much of a focus on it.

04/13/16 7:32 am

I don't know, I thought Katniss was kind of stupid. "I love him! No wait I don't! And I'm a hormonal teenager and I'm frustrated! And my mother is stupid! And I don't care."

Also I don't like books where the main character is "exceptional" and out of millions of people, he/she is the ONLY one who can save the world. Isaac Asimov is much better. His characters that save the world can save it only from probability, only because the laws of probability make sure that there will be someone who can save the world. A lot more realistic then "I am special and so you, reader who will pretend to be me, is special too! Yay!"

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/13/16 7:35 am

I agree with that part. And yeah, but I guess everyone was focused on killing each other before.. I suppose it just so happened at this time that someone found a way to make two people win.. you know, screw everything up. The second one was rigged be

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/13/16 7:36 am

cause the first sparked a rebellion.. the whole thing is kinda lik a daydream I guess.. Lol

04/13/16 7:38 am

Exactly. The two winners thing was just annoying. Like she couldn't make this even resemble realistic fiction? She didn't even try to make it probable? Just so a stupid, angry, apathetic girl can be chased after by a gorgeous, kind guy. She tortures him and tortures him and he always loves her.

All the high school girls must love that.

Shreveport New York
04/13/16 7:38 am

You don't like books where the main character is special? You said you loved Harry Potter lol

Xemanis Lawful Good
04/13/16 7:40 am

It's probably their target audience. I paid more attention to the whole games and survival than the romance.. I brushed it off as a political tool for my own sake. I enjoyed the overthrowing of the capitol.

Battle royale at least was a good movie

04/13/16 7:44 am

Shreveport, I like Harry Potter despite "The Chosen One" nonsense, not because of it.

Xemanis, you're right. It is that target audience. When I read it at 11 I loved it. When I reread it two years later, I hated it.

Shreveport New York
04/13/16 7:46 am

I'm not giving you any flak, I just thought it was kind of funny. Harry Potter is the like the epitome of "main character is special" books

04/13/16 7:50 am

Right, but the historical parallels are incredible so that somewhat balances it out. And her world-building is amazing.

Throwaway77
04/12/16 8:10 pm

I always recommend The New Jim Crow, really great book

golfer golfing
04/12/16 8:19 pm

I second this recommendation 👍🏼

PamGH Washington
04/12/16 8:42 pm

Yes agree and add to that Burning Down the House:Juvenile Justice

PrinceOberyn ANCIENT CITY STYLE
04/12/16 8:06 pm

Other than my obligatory Dune, Accursed Kings and ASOIAF plugs...

I must recommend for those who read or watched The Martian is Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars. A bit less humorous, but has more politics. Perfect for SOH users!

Speaking of Robinson, a personal recommendation for @Chimama @Luftwaffe and @LegionOfTruth. The Years of Rice and Salt by Robinson, an alternate history novel set in a world where the plague wiped out 99% of Europe's population and the continent was resettled by Islamic pioneers and the world develops over the following centuries without European culture.

ronderman North Carolina
04/13/16 5:54 am

Years of Rice sounds fascinating.