GrandmaALiCE March 21st, 2015 4:56am

I'm curious about opinions on a potential new feature. There are notifications when you get a new follower. Would you like to be notified when somebody unfollows you?

alynn Somewhere wonderful
03/22/15 7:19 pm

I'd want to know, but I think that feature would be bad for the app, as Kay has explained below. There would be a bunch of wtf comments in threads, etc. It could be ugly.

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
03/22/15 12:46 pm

Then I'll sit there thinking I pissed someone off with my weird views. And dwell on it. Just for 5 minutes. Then move on

DonWichita Kansas
03/22/15 9:50 am

I would like SOH to notify me of posts that contain comments of those I follow.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
03/21/15 10:16 pm

I have notifications for new followers turned off, and if there was a notification for followers who have unfollowed, I'd have that turned off too. Neither of those things is important enough to rate a notification, or at all, for that matter.

TheNiece
03/21/15 9:54 pm

My uncle can find out heheheh ;)

RedHale Texas
03/21/15 9:40 pm

In my eyes, there is no difference between them unfollowing me and never following me to begin with, and Im not here to play politician and try to win people over, so I honestly don't care.

Christian1459 Cookin Trouble
03/21/15 9:12 pm

I agree with Kay. It would result in negativity and bitterness. People may get offended because they are they they are unfollowed. Even if you notify them why, it's just not needed. Sometimes people go on here to heard. When they're told why they..

Christian1459 Cookin Trouble
03/21/15 9:13 pm

Aren't interested in the polls, it makes them a bit sad, whether they show it on here or not, on top of any problems on their life already. So I personally don't like if that became a feature.

TheMadScientist the mad laboratory
03/21/15 9:59 pm

I knew a super witty guy on here a while. I followed him and it was nothing but sports. Unfollow!

Christian1459 Cookin Trouble
03/21/15 10:00 pm

Did you tell them why you unfollowed? Or that you unfollowed him in the first place?

geoag02 Dallas, TX
03/21/15 5:51 pm

If this were implemented, I would prefer to see it as an option when you unfollow someone to leave a comment explaining why. If you don't leave a comment there should be no unfollow notification.

TomM
03/21/15 9:08 pm

You can always send a private notification.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
03/21/15 9:35 pm

I am thinking of a "you can privately tell this person why" reminder that comes up when you unfollow someone. It could go through the same private message system that is already in place.

geoag02 Dallas, TX
03/21/15 9:38 pm

But it probably would mostly get used to tell off people and cause more hurt feelings than it would lead to better understanding. Constructive criticism is still criticism.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
03/22/15 8:38 pm

If you send them a pm they have to agree to follow you to accept the message.

TomM
03/23/15 6:48 pm

CC, actually it is possible to read at least the beginning of it without following. I have done that. You need to follow to respond.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
03/23/15 8:24 pm

Just a tiny bit. They might not want to respond to you. Don't ask me how I know :-(

Kay41 the Midwest
03/21/15 5:50 am

No, I don't think so. That would just make for a negative vibe on here. Sometimes I unfollow someone just because they post too many polls. Or they post polls on topics that don't interest me. I don't want to feel like I need to explain myself.

Kay41 the Midwest
03/21/15 5:52 am

Even now, I sometimes wonder why people don't want to follow me. This feature would probably make me obsess on that idea instead of just enjoying the followers I have.

TomM
03/21/15 4:39 pm

Well said and completely agree.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/21/15 9:02 pm

I'm sort of curious. Do you remember, without looking, how many followers you have? Or is it just me?

I'm sort of a numbers person. I know (that is, remember), that my most recent follower brought me up to 714. If I see tomorrow that I have 713, ...

TomM
03/21/15 9:06 pm

Due to the follow me poll I checked and found I had 665 so I commented about anyone dare be number 666. I haven't checked what it is now and I hadn't looked in weeks if not longer. It really doesn't matter, most are inactive, I just want comments.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/21/15 9:07 pm

... then I wonder who left.

It's probably no big deal ... just somebody deciding to follow fewer people. I guess I should try to train myself *not* to remember my number of followers. I suppose I do obsess a little bit. 😏

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/21/15 9:11 pm

Tom, I just looked. You have 669 followers. Do you have the notification for new followers turned on?

You are right. Most are probably inactive.

TomM
03/21/15 9:12 pm

The most common reasons I unfollow active users are too many poll or shared polls from other users and poll subjects not interesting to me.

TomM
03/21/15 9:14 pm

I only get notifications for comment replies and private messages (which I very rarely get). The rest are not useful to me.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
03/21/15 12:05 am

No because it would hurt my feelings.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/21/15 5:17 am

Like all notifications, you could opt whether or not to get it

I pretty much keep track of my numbers, so I know that *somebody* unfollowed me. I am always curious *who* (and why).

Isomax TIC TOC
03/20/15 11:03 pm

People come and go as they do in real life. There is nothing or no one that will ever change that. If I follow someone or not is a decision that is mine only to make. And the same goes for anyone else.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/21/15 5:19 am

Of course it is. That isn't really the question.

Are you ever curious who unfollows you and why? I am. No big deal, though. I just wondered how others feel about this.

Isomax TIC TOC
03/21/15 6:13 am

I don't ask why when they welcomely follow and I don't ask why if they should leave just as freely. I enjoy their comments if any and their polling votes as long as they wish. After that, their lives are their own.

chickencookie Jihad Joe
03/21/15 7:29 am

If you find out I unfollow you do you think I would tell you the real reason or even worse, not answer you at all. It's bad enough when I PM someone here several times and they ignore me even when I know they are on line.

Maj Worth Economist
03/20/15 10:47 pm

I don't want to know.

TierasPet
03/21/15 5:20 am

Me either.

susanr Colorado
03/20/15 10:46 pm

I don't think it's a good idea, for several reasons. If I'm the one doing the unfollowing, I'd like to be able to do it without causing a fuss; without having someone feeling hurt, or being pissed off at me. If someone unfollows me, I don't want to

susanr Colorado
03/20/15 10:50 pm

feel all annoyed or upset if I see a notification about it.

I think it would just create more drama.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/21/15 5:21 am

Perhaps. I do pretty much keep track of my numbers, so I usually know that somebody unfollowed me. Then, I'm sort of curious who it was.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
03/20/15 10:24 pm

Absolutely! And I'd like to read a comment about why, if that could be incorporated. I ALWAYS take it personally, and I always want to know whether the issue was my faith or my politics!

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/21/15 5:25 am

Now, I'm going to play devil's advocate. I unfollow people for reasons that are not personal at all. As Milk says below, I try to keep my following list manageable.

On the other hand, I am usually curious when I see my number of followers ...

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/21/15 5:27 am

... go down.

It would be nice to know the reason, but that should be optional. Nobody has to say, if they don't want to.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/21/15 5:31 am

You should read Milk's comments at the very bottom, if you haven't yet. It might take some of the sting out of "I always take it personally."

firefly5 the verse
03/21/15 8:48 pm

I don't look at my number of followers except if I get a handful of new follows in a day. For me, the most frequent reason I unfollow someone is if they post too many polls.

RoDe Latinus wordsus
03/20/15 10:23 pm

I don't really see the benefit.

MannIsMe Did You Assume My Party
03/20/15 10:17 pm

Maybe just their demographics.

Oh, I don't appeal to independents under 21?
Cool.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
03/20/15 10:15 pm

There be dragons. Still, it is worth noting. I favor it by a margin.

MrMilkdud
03/20/15 10:00 pm

I don't worry about that, generally. I follow and unfollow people all the time. Usually it isn't personal, it's just that I can only manage so many polls.
I think those notifications would be demoralizing for some folks, though.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
03/21/15 5:33 am

I do the same thing, that is, "follow and unfollow all the time," so I know it usually isn't personal. However, I am always curious who left, when I notice my number of followers has gone down.