Show Of Hands June 5th, 2018 4:35am

If you're being honest with yourself, do you regularly find that you have issues with authority figures?

Gunfighter06 Iowa, since 1846
06/05/18 3:13 am

I *am* an authority figure hahaha.

But I don't throw it around whatsoever. I introduce myself by my first name as opposed to my last name + title, I treat everyone with respect, and I understand that a badge and a gun belt doesn't necessarily make me "better" (or worse) than anyone else. Everyone puts their pants on the same way, whether you're a CEO or a 6-time felon.

jlong105 Indiana
06/05/18 3:11 am

Results show 50% of atheists. No wonder they can’t believe in God. They just have a problem with authority.

EarlyBird Portland
06/04/18 10:15 pm

No but I’ve recently realized that I don’t like being told what to do.

farenorth swimmingly
06/05/18 3:42 am

But I feel like there are plenty of religious folks who have a problem with authority due to idolatry...... all humans are flawed, right?

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
06/05/18 5:24 am

Not really. Cops leave me alone, I’m white. 🤷🏻‍♀️

jlong105 Indiana
06/05/18 3:48 am

Of course all are flawed (besides me 😉). I didn’t look at all the religions but Protestant was only around 30% I believe

Spiritof76 USA 1776
06/05/18 10:05 am

Big time, yes. Many "authority" figures do use their power to throw their weight around, which makes them come across as pompous and arrogant. I'm not of fan of pompous and arrogant human beings.

krannapple
06/04/18 9:41 pm

We need authority figures to maintain order, but that doesn’t mean they have absolute and unconditional authority.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
06/04/18 9:51 pm

Oh yes. Of the five hazardous attitudes that lead to poor decision making, I only really struggle with one. Anti-authority, pegged at the max. I constantly have to force myself to get past being told to do a thing, or being told not to, because either way my first impulse is to do the opposite.

farenorth swimmingly
06/05/18 3:40 am

Yeaaaah. I'm an army brat. Didn't take long to figure out most people are just blindly following orders full well knowing they are senseless. Being in a position of authority gives you a small pedestal but it's important to remember that we all have personal freedoms and our own power. I can choose to quit my job if my boss is a fool... authority is always limited somehow.

RNJen Bay Area USA
06/06/18 6:48 pm

Yes. I am rebellious to a fault. I hate and love this about myself

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
06/06/18 8:14 am

What about asshole women?

phalnx Ohio
06/05/18 9:08 am

Lol! I've always had issues with authority figures...even my own parents. I'm neither a Follower nor a Leader.

presrvd Phoenix
06/04/18 9:56 pm

All the time....which makes my career choice even that much more confusing...

bnnt Los Angeles
06/04/18 9:59 pm

Very rarely.

historyqueen
06/05/18 8:01 am

Absolutely correct about weakness!

Carcano Luke 10 19
06/05/18 9:33 pm

For most people it does. Some people never grow up though.

IEatzCookies Alderaan
06/05/18 12:44 am

At first I just read this as authorities, as in the police, who I don't have any problems with whatsoever, and then I learned that it was authority figures. I hate authority and the idea that someone considers themselves superior to me is gag worthy

LazySteelworker USA
06/05/18 10:41 am

I don't even care for the fact that you asked this question...

DiQuellaPira Columbus, Ohio
06/05/18 9:59 am

Since everyone is inherently flawed, NOBODY should be given any authority to rule over anyone else

CudOfCow Oregon
06/05/18 2:44 pm

I used to think I did. Becoming an adult has changed my feelings about authority significantly.

outlaw393 Former Christian
06/06/18 12:06 pm

Yes but only when they try to stifle my rights or freedoms

DoctorWasdarb Marxist Leninist Maoist
06/04/18 11:21 pm

I don't like authority at all, but I'm able to maintain a façade of respect when face to face.

purplemonkey75
06/05/18 6:14 pm

Yes especially when most "authority figures" are asshole men.

CJensen20
06/05/18 3:43 am

I have a problem when they abuse there power for their own needs and not for the needs of the citizens

historyqueen
06/05/18 7:58 am

It depends on the authority figure you are asking about, if it the police or justice system no. If you are speaking of a boss at a workplace, yes;especially if they are unsure of themselves, doesn’t have a grasp on their job and treats others with no respect.

ParaguasPato Columbus GA
06/05/18 8:00 am

Not at all, but I've been blessed with good authority figures in my life.

kanji401 SoCal
06/07/18 5:38 pm

I was raised to have respect for authority figures.

mark4
06/05/18 4:18 am

Of course.
How many proofs of Acton’s dictum do you need?

jbrower157 New York
06/05/18 12:09 am

Can’t really think of any. My boss kisses my ass so I don’t walk. Police get the same respect given. And I am an authority figure at work while also not being a power tripping douchebag. Although I do react when someone comes at me with an authority type attitude. Gotta keep that shit inline. Once you show weakness you become a target for authority.

Carcano Luke 10 19
06/05/18 9:32 pm

I notice many people here on SOH do. Many Americans do and they don’t even realize it. It’s a very bad habit to have.

AZlass Phoenix
06/05/18 8:28 am

Not with most but definitely with some.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
06/04/18 10:46 pm

Define “issues”. 🤔

I don’t like the decisions of several authority figures make & while I might voice my opinion or question the decision, I respect the decision after that.

Laserbeam Crazy bird lady
06/06/18 5:23 am

Whiter than you could ever hope to be lol. Eastern European traced back hundreds of years. Does that trigger you? I heard somebody say you’re Italian lol. Hope it’s not Jersey Shore Italian.

Xemanis Lawful Good
06/05/18 9:57 am

It depends. Some authority figures are idiots.

If they're incompetent and don't think logically I don't follow them.

I mostly only deal with authority figures in games or group projects, and even then I tend to be the leader of the group. The only time I really have a problem with authority figures is if they're incompetent, like I said above, and if I point out their mistakes in a inoffensive way and they get mad we are definitely going to have a problem. It's always been that way for me. If you're trying to lead a group of people and buckle at the first sign of adversity you probably shouldn't be leading that group of people.

Xemanis Lawful Good
06/05/18 10:00 am

And obviously I would have problems with someone who may not necessarily be incompetent but has terrible beliefs, like a communist leader.

Waterguy Texas
06/10/18 6:37 pm

Most authority don’t deserve the power they have. I do have respect for those that do, however. In my opinion if you don’t know how to use your power properly then you’re no authority at all.

katerina13 stuck in the middle
06/06/18 3:10 am

Same here. My Mom says I raised myself since I was about 10 yrs old, despite her efforts. I’d say it was more like 7 yrs old. 😂

Chante97 Detroit
06/06/18 6:19 pm

Yes most likely because of my absent father

APpolls2K19 Wisconsin