TopsQueen November 4th, 2013 9:47pm

There seem to be a lot of people going gluten-free either because they have celiac disease and cannot eat it or they are sensitive to it. Do you or do you know anybody that is gluten-free? I know BamaGirl is and is better off for it.

Mercedes Portland, Oregon
11/06/13 1:51 pm

My sister is grain free (paleo diet). For her wheat caused irritable bowl syndrome. I LOVE wheat! I am a marathon runner and could not imagine giving up my pb&j to refuel.

Emma Austin.ish.
11/05/13 1:02 am

I do, the same person that CarrieMarie and TMS know. :)

PartyFree Nowhere in Particular
11/04/13 10:39 pm

Most of my generation on my dad's side has gone gluten-free because of intolerance issues. I'd probably be better off if I did too, but I just love my carbs way too much.

11/04/13 11:00 pm

There are great GF options for breads, cookies, etc. My children prefer my GF treats over "normal" ones!!!

11/04/13 10:07 pm

I'm gluten free. It's made a huge difference in how I feel and my mental health! If ll stay off it for 6 months or so, I'll be able to eat it again in very small doses. It's not difficult because I feel so awful after eating any gluten!!

Ariella LovePeaceNHappiness
11/04/13 9:30 pm

I don't know anyone who is on a gluten free diet.

Zimmeress Make Me Laugh
11/04/13 8:38 pm

Was just told by my doc to lessen gluten intake for my migraines. I've already checked all my kitchen for things with aspartame recently and I'm 70% migraine free! So hopefully, if I can reduce the gluten intake, I can be closer to 90%.

bMyComrade Stumptown
11/04/13 9:31 pm

I'm glad you finally found some clues!

11/04/13 10:05 pm

Aspartame is horrible!!! I get bad headaches even if I chew gum with it. It's so unnecessary, too. Just use sugar!!!!!

Zimmeress Make Me Laugh
11/04/13 10:10 pm

Thanks for the tip, jms. I appreciate it. Didn't know about the gum.

11/04/13 10:19 pm

Watch for anything that even might have sweetener in it. Juices, soda, cookies, etc. it's amazing how many things have it. Ugh. Oh and breath mints, too!!!! Tic Tacs, lifesavers, etc. For me it's actually the phenylalanine in the aspartame.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/04/13 10:39 pm

My daughter has horrible migraines. Getting a scan this week. I suggested gluten free.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
11/04/13 10:51 pm

I've been GF going on 2 yrs. Before GF: migraines every wk, bad to omg. Some lasted a few hours, some went on for several days w/no real break. After GF: 4-5 per month, few last more than a day, very-very few omg-strength. Serious quality of life ++!

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
11/04/13 10:54 pm

When I say used to get migraines every week, I mean headache of some strength more days than not. Counted how many days I *didn't* have head pain to some degree, not how many I did.

Artificial sweeteners = toxic; almost killed husband: neurological

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
11/04/13 10:57 pm

Migraines were primary reason I decided to try GF. VERY good decision, for me. It wasn't immediate, though, so don't be discouraged @ 1st. At least 8 mths before it was *clear* it was making a positive difference in strength/frequency of migraines.

Zimmeress Make Me Laugh
11/04/13 11:19 pm

This is good info for me. Thank you all for your input. I'm having to screenshot these so I can keep track. ;-)

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/04/13 11:44 pm

Note to self. Don't suggest going gluten too free to avoid migraines to someone who has a migraine:-/

ShereKhan A very dark place.
11/04/13 7:20 pm

I went gluten free and my allergies back pain and general ennui went away. Sold.

Doopy Remedial Americanism
11/04/13 7:00 pm

I know a couple people. I eat enough wheat to make up for them.

Montego En Route
11/04/13 6:52 pm

My brother. If he consumes even a hint of gluten he is very ill for days

EarlyBird Portland
11/04/13 6:41 pm

I don't think I have gluten problems. What are the signs?

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/04/13 7:50 pm

Usually bloating after you eat wheat a lot of discomfort and sometimes depression.

susanr Colorado
11/04/13 8:30 pm

After almost no wheat or other grains for several months, I had a hoagie roll with seitan (gluten with super-concentrated gluten on it), and a bagel today (unfortunate circumstances necessitating choices very different than what I usually

susanr Colorado
11/04/13 8:31 pm

eat). I've had absolutely no adverse effects. I'm happier back on my high protein regimen, as of dinner, but can't say all that gluten did anything overtly bad to me.

11/04/13 10:08 pm

Susan- just be very careful about putting a lot of gluten back in your diet. Your body has healed itself but if you continue to put too much gluten in, it will eventually smack you upside the head and you won't feel very good.

susanr Colorado
11/04/13 10:15 pm

Thanks, but I don't think my body needed healing in the first place. I'm not on a gluten-free diet, just low carb for weight loss. I had the seitan hoagie yesterday, & you don't get any higher gluten than seitan. No ill effects at all.

11/04/13 10:20 pm

Gotcha. I read your comments further down after I wrote that ⬆️⬆️. :-)

susanr Colorado
11/04/13 10:23 pm

Thanks for the warning, though! I know it's a serious issue for some people.

11/04/13 10:26 pm

Yep I got smacked pretty hard last week. Thought I'd been doing pretty well with gluten. Blech. Now I remember why I went GF 4 years ago to begin with!!!!

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
11/04/13 11:14 pm

Quick primer on GF that includes array of potential symptoms: glutenintoleranceschool.com/gluten-intolerance-symptoms/
Quick/dirty GF strategy for start:
www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/my01140
Book I recommended = Great

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
11/04/13 11:25 pm

Recommended a book elsewhere in this poll that is outstanding! Borrow from library or get Kindle/digital version. Best resource I've found RE GF *intolerance* as opposed to celiac-strength issues.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
11/04/13 6:40 pm

My cousin doesn't eat gluten. Her mom has lupus and her sister has Crohn's - apparently autoimmunes are genetic - but she has something mild that causes her to be intolerant to wheat, or gluten, or something. I don't know the details.

WillametteKevin Mossopolis
11/04/13 6:03 pm

I love the taste of wheat and have no problem with it. I also know several people that have severe and mild symptoms when consuming wheat products.

dudley northern Virginia woods
11/04/13 5:31 pm

I guess my daughter is sort of glutin free. Semi. Son had a friend who was but she's probably into so etching else by now anyway. What a lot of flakes!

imanag My heaven on Earth
11/04/13 5:26 pm

No problems with the gluten, but I have a son on the Feingold diet for AD/HD. it makes a world of difference when he isn't eating artificial colors & preservatives. I can see how what you eat has a big impact on your general well being.

icytoes the tepid north
11/04/13 4:56 pm

Not me, but I have several friends who have gone totally GF

ozgirl not down under
11/04/13 4:45 pm

I know several who are gluten free for various reasons... The ones that make me feel bad are kids with wheat allergies (only bc my son and nephew battle food allergies.) it's hard as a kid to miss out on yummy treats and not understand why.

ozgirl not down under
11/04/13 4:46 pm

Not that I don't feel bad for anyone who can't eat certain things for a medical reason. It's a hard lifestyle. But in general adults handle the disappointment better as well as social stigmas

11/04/13 10:10 pm

My children prefer my homemade gluten free treats to normal ones!! And no one else would know that the brownies I made today are GF. They're yummy!!!!! There's no reason to feel deprived on a GF diet. Children included!

ozgirl not down under
11/05/13 1:58 am

Jms... You've got me curious ... I haven't tried a GF that I liked. What's your secret

Inmy experience with my sons allergies, he's sometimes felt excluded at parties and such where they don't have things he could eat... And it always looked

ozgirl not down under
11/05/13 2:00 am

... Looked better than the things I brought. He's actually a good sport, but if you go to a wedding for example and can't try the cake it can be frustrating. I think I probably feel worse than my son does!

11/05/13 9:02 am

For most recipes, I substitute brown rice flour, corn flour and/or almond flour (usually a mix of all) for the wheat flour. You have to add some xanthan gum to help it all stick together. For bread, add extra liquid. The mix looks like cake batter.

11/05/13 9:04 am

I follow the original recipe exactly except for the flour substitution. I've never had anything turn out unedible. The texture is often a little different especially when you use a lot of corn flour. Not bad, just different. :-)

11/05/13 9:06 am

There are a lot of other flours you can use. Millet is one of my other favorites. There's sorghum, quinoa, fava bean, tapioca, coconut (add lots of extra liquid with that!), oat flour (make sure it says GF) and others I know I'm forgetting.

11/05/13 9:07 am

Just start experimenting and you'll find things you like and don't like. There are some flours like Amaranth and buckwheat (not actually wheat) that have a curious flavor and I don't use them at all. Other people like them, though!

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
11/04/13 4:29 pm

Have a neighbor with autistic son. Before gluten free diet he would spend most time rocking back and forth in a corner. Since that change, and others, now runs and plays with gusto like any other kid.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
11/04/13 4:34 pm

Also have coworker @ food co-op that gets unreasonably angry when eating any gluten, even low gluten spelt or kamut.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/04/13 7:52 pm

Wow that is amazing. That's quite the testimony.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
11/04/13 8:02 pm

Kinda funny working with the co-op. many people's circumstances lead them there for a lifetime. Somewhere today I posted "Organic Food is a term invented what your grandparents called Food." Frightening what they've done to our food supply.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
11/04/13 8:03 pm

Oh! I put it below...

gtgconfused
11/04/13 4:21 pm

Until recently, never new anyone. But it seems to be more prevalent now. I hear people saying gluten intolerant all the time now.

susanr Colorado
11/04/13 4:00 pm

I have a relative who maintains a gluten-free and dairy-free diet. I don't buy into the anti-gluten thing myself.

Porcupine
11/04/13 4:09 pm

The extent to which the population at large is susceptible can be debated; but for some of the conditions, gluten has been demonstrated to be causative.

susanr Colorado
11/04/13 4:41 pm

Oh, I'm aware that it's a critical thing in Chron's disease, and that there is evidence that gluten intolerance is a thing... I just don't buy the current thinking among some that says gluten, wheat, and/or all grains are bad for everybody.

ShereKhan A very dark place.
11/04/13 7:27 pm

Susan think of it as an organism protecting itself. Read this I think it will allow you to argue both sides given your background www.sott.net/article/205172-The-Dark-Side-of-Wheat-New-Perspectives-on-Celiac-Disease-and-W

susanr Colorado
11/04/13 8:27 pm

Thanks; I'll take a look at it when I get a chance (I saved the article). Somewhat ironically, I've been on a fairly low-carb diet for several months, so I've really been eating very little wheat or other grains.

susanr Colorado
11/04/13 8:32 pm

Oh, except for the extremely high gluten transgressions in the last day & a half, as described above. That was highly unusual.

Octopus
11/04/13 3:31 pm

I know several people with Celiac disease, including both friends and family members. I was also on a gluten-free diet before due to stomach problems I have, but it didn't seem to help.

Porcupine
11/04/13 3:29 pm

There is mounting evidence that gluten is toxic to everyone. Gluten.proteins have been described as being directly cytotoxic. Beyond wheat/gluten, some have suggested that all grains are deleterious. Two good books that explore this issue are Wheat Belly and Dangerous Grains.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/13 3:28 pm

West is bad. Forget about gluten wear is bad. Most whole grains are bad. Science backs it up. Today's whole grains are not the stuff you grew up with.

bringstheeagle Colorado
11/04/13 3:40 pm

Misspelled wheat twice lol but I think meaning is clear.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/04/13 3:45 pm

I am very good at misspelling I knew what you meant.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
11/04/13 4:31 pm

"The phrase 'Organic Food' was invented to describe what your grandparents called 'Food'."

Liberty 4,032,064
11/04/13 3:27 pm

My wife and I are. (Except for me when I eat out sometimes, haha)
But really, it is much healthier.

dogsrmyrock15 fideos.
11/04/13 3:17 pm

My friend has celiac disease. It took the doctors a year to figure it out. They just said her mom was crazy... But she almost died because of this.

Porcupine
11/04/13 3:38 pm

It can be life threatening. The malnutrition can be severe. There are many other serious health consequences, but one of the most important is an aggressive T-cell lymphoma that often results from prolonged exposure to gluten.

JKL622 ohio
11/04/13 3:11 pm

My oldest son has Crohns, he eats gluten free. So we try to eat that way when he's home from school. It's helped him managed his flares.

11/04/13 10:13 pm

My sister has Crohn's. It has been in remission for years now but it was super bad for a long time. She's been through surgery, too. It took drs quite awhile to figure it out!!

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/04/13 3:05 pm

Never even heard of celiac. What are the symptoms?

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/04/13 3:11 pm

Your stomach bloats after you eat wheat. You have a hard time digesting food. Depression can be one of those symptoms. It's people who cannot digest gluten which is part of wheat and some other grains.

Porcupine
11/04/13 3:33 pm

Celiac disease (Celiac sprue/nontropical sprue) is one manifestation of gluten intolerance. The classic case is commonly seen.in children: failure to thrive, malnutrition, steatorrhea/diarrhea, abdominal pain, gas, bloating. There are several "atypical" patterns that are now recognized as...

Porcupine
11/04/13 3:33 pm

Porcupine
11/04/13 3:35 pm

variations of Celiac disease. Remember that Celiac is only one if the gluten intolerances. If you are unsure, speak with your doctor about testing.

beamie Michigan
11/04/13 3:04 pm

I haven't had wheat in about 6 weeks. Until today. Where I ate a "whole wheat" sandwich and feel like crap now.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/04/13 3:12 pm

((((((You))))))sorry.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
11/04/13 3:19 pm

Sorry! That sucks. I'm glad I got really ill from eating gluten though. Makes me a lot more motivated to be more careful.

11/04/13 10:15 pm

So sorry!!!! I hate that feeling!!! I've taken myself off gluten completely in the past week. I know I have to go at least 6 months without gluten for my body to heal itself. Thank heaven I'm great at baking GF bread and brownies!!!

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/04/13 3:01 pm

I don't, but I've heard some people here mention it. I think actual sensitivity to gluten is one of those things that is a lot more uncommon than people looking for an easy fix want to believe.

moonshot More often I know nothing
11/04/13 3:05 pm

Dogs shouldn't be eating grass seed anyway.

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
11/04/13 4:28 pm

It can be good for them in small amounts, but their diet should be mainly protein-based.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
11/04/13 2:54 pm

"Healthier Without Wheat" by Dr Stephen Wangan makes outstanding case for health benefits of gluten free lifestyle, demonstrating health issues that may be exacerbated by gluten. Explains what problem is & why *intolerance* is sufficient to go GF.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
11/04/13 2:59 pm

Hubby's psoriasis is 80% better GF plus extra virgin coconut oil for cooking & topically on affected areas. Nothing was doing anything to improve & getting worse, horribly. Almost completely gone in some places! Both have better resistance to illness

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
11/04/13 3:07 pm

I have fewer migraines & those I get aren't nearly as bad or last as long as before GF. Fibromyalgia symptoms, overall, better. We just feel better, on the whole. Not *nearly* as hard as we thought it might be. We've GF alternatives for favorites...

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
11/04/13 3:17 pm

... WITHOUT buying hardly any special GF food. In almost 2 yrs 1/2 dozen loaves of GF bread (grilled cheese sandwiches). Lots of food is naturally GF so we focus our diet on those foods. Read labels for wheat, rye, barley ingredients in pkg food.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/04/13 3:23 pm

Thank you for all that information.

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
11/04/13 3:30 pm

You're welcome. I wish we'd done this a long time ago. I'd heard about it & felt it was just the latest fad thing. Learned more since we've seen health improvements GF than I'd bothered to pay attention to before. LOL! Wish I'd read book earlier!

moonshot More often I know nothing
11/04/13 2:53 pm

My wife was diagnosed with Celiac back in 2000. Our daughter was diagnosed in 2009. We are keeping our 19 month old grandson gluten free until age five as that is when the celiac test becomes more reliable.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/04/13 3:01 pm

They put my 20-month-old grandson gluten-free.(He was born March 1). He is finally gaining weight and doing what he should be doing now.

Rainey 633 Stag Trail Road
11/04/13 2:52 pm

Two of my friends are gluten free. It's changed their lives

rlands
11/04/13 2:51 pm

One of my best friends is. It's not that she can't eat gluten, it's just that it's better for you, supposedly. She's trying to get me to do it as well...I don't think I could do it though.

JennaAwesome Book Lover
11/04/13 2:51 pm

My friend,
Conservativesyd is allergic

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
11/04/13 2:50 pm

I am (mostly) gluten free at home. I carry Zofran and Levsin for my stomach problems and IBS when I'm out so I don't have to worry too much. Gluten irritates my gastro disorders, so I avoid it when convenient.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/04/13 2:50 pm

Wonderful daughter-in-law is. So is my sons partner both cannot eat gluten. My son's partner thinks it's all the additives they have done to the wheat to change the product.

beamie Michigan
11/04/13 3:28 pm

I can see that! There is so much changing of the food now a days it's crazy! I'm sensitive to corn, I have to wonder with all the GMO (I believe that's what it is) seeds

beamie Michigan
11/04/13 3:28 pm

Has caused a lot of the sensitivity

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/04/13 3:48 pm

Animals is what I was going to call it too but I called it the wrong initials before.