Show of HandsShow of Hands

mandimoomoo November 4th, 2013 9:36pm

I have a serious hip deformity and was told I needed a replacement 4 years ago. My parents both said no, based on my age at the time, and recently my mom is trying to steer me towards chiropractors for treatment. Am I right to refuse this?

1 Liked

Comments: Add Comment

2katz I live in Nebraska
11/04/13 9:02 pm

I voted yes, refuse the chiro but want to comment. Is your mom thinking cure, or that a chiro may help improve things like flexibility and comfort? That might help but don't you have a regular doc that has followed you awhile? I'd get their opinion.

mandimoomoo Home of the Huskers
11/04/13 10:06 pm

All of my doctors are pushing for surgery. One has even offered a stem cell therapy, but it would have to be out of pocket because insurance won't touch stem cell anything.

2katz I live in Nebraska
11/04/13 10:39 pm

So the deformity sounds more complicated than a chiro is probably trained for. Especially here in Nebraska. I'd go with the mainstream docs advice.

11/04/13 4:39 pm

I think trying a chiropractor is worth a shot. Mine worked miracles for my neck and back pain a few years ago. Then I got a tempurpedic bed and quit needing him.

mandimoomoo Home of the Huskers
11/04/13 6:14 pm

I've been meaning to try a different bed, but college is a drain on my bank account

11/04/13 6:49 pm

Yeah I understand that, totally. They do help. But seriously, don't totally write off the chiro! :) it's worth a shot before seeking more expensive measures.

kscott516 EB rules
11/04/13 4:13 pm

Depends on what the deformity is.

mandimoomoo Home of the Huskers
11/04/13 6:13 pm

Several large impingements, movement has shown to cause further damage

kscott516 EB rules
11/04/13 6:20 pm

Impingements are usually caused by bony spurs, a torn meniscus, or bone fragments. Have you had an MRI?

kscott516 EB rules
11/04/13 6:26 pm

In any case, a chiropractor cannot help that condition.

kscott516 EB rules
11/04/13 9:47 pm

I'm guessing you've seen an orthopedic surgeon then? A torn labrum typically requires surgical intervention. A hip arthroscopy would be the least invasive.

mandimoomoo Home of the Huskers
11/04/13 10:05 pm

I'm consulted a surgeon, but my parents are concerned with the risk. A foot surgery I had almost resulted in the loss of said foot. Most people comment that they think I'm too young for a hip replacement anyway...

kscott516 EB rules
11/04/13 10:26 pm

A hip arthroscopy allows the surgeon to see inside your hip joint with a small camera and treat the torn labrum through 3 tiny incisions. It would not be a hip replacement. I'd recommend talking to a Sports Medicine orthopedic surgeon...younger guy.

mandimoomoo Home of the Huskers
11/04/13 10:31 pm

The MRI was over 3 years ago, my doctor assumes little cartilage is left based on my pain and grating when I walk. Not sure an arthroscopy would be useful at this point...

kscott516 EB rules
11/05/13 5:44 am

Do you have pain every day when you walk? That cartilage will not just grow back. Unfortunately if the damage is as bad as he says then a new hip may be necessary. Age doesn't matter. Get a 2nd and 3rd opinion if you haven't already.

MJSeals J.D.
11/04/13 2:38 pm

GET RID OF THAT SPIDER!!!! You like my profile pic?

mandimoomoo Home of the Huskers
11/04/13 6:10 pm

What, Dubya's duck face? It's great!

Wednesday you all get to see the newest addition to my family ;) hint: it's not a spider