tdaddy November 4th, 2013 7:40am

If you had a pet that was on a strict diet for most of her life, but her vet said the end was near, would you let her eat anything she wanted (within reason) for her last weeks or months? (18 yr old toy poodle)

tdaddy Kentucky
11/30/13 3:21 am

Mya is hanging in there. We are getting used to carrying her to the pee pad, but we know she has no quality of life. Is it selfish to want to keep an adorable blind, deaf, lame toy poodle people still mistake for a puppy around as long as possible?

EarlyBird Portland
11/04/13 5:01 am

tdaddy- losing a pet is soo hard. I'm sorry you are going through this :-(
Hang in there.

2katz I live in Nebraska
11/04/13 3:46 am

I'm sorry you're going through this, but also happy for the joy she has obviously given you, and the love you have given her. After a similar thing, my strategy is to always have 2 cats.

tdaddy Kentucky
11/04/13 1:32 am

Well, gulp! She had a chance to pig out just once this morning. Roast beef!! Back to mush now. :(

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
11/04/13 1:35 am

Nothing wrong with treats. You could increase them in frequency, but to go open throttle... esp with concerns as to why she was on the diet in the first place.
All the best friend.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
11/04/13 1:26 am

My deepest empathies if this situation rings true to you. A drastic change of diet can be debilitating to animals. Keep on with what you have been doing.
My mom had 2 toy poodles and has her second std poodle now. They are a smart wonderful breed.

tdaddy Kentucky
11/04/13 1:38 am

Thank you. Her vet told us she'd put her down but we've had her so long and will miss her so much. I told the mrs we can buy another, but she wants a rest since "Mya" has needed so much extra attention since she went blind and deaf this year.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/04/13 1:25 am

So sorry for what you're going through.

TopsQueen Oregon Coast
11/05/13 9:03 am

Give your wife a hug for me give that dog whatever it likes.

Ebola1 Florida
11/04/13 12:57 am

I'd stick to her diet.

tdaddy Kentucky
11/04/13 1:42 am

Probably a good idea since diet changes affect her bowels rather quickly. I just wanted her to have one meal she'd really enjoy, and she did. :)