Reneezii November 3rd, 2013 6:52am

Have you ever personally stopped someone from committing suicide or talked them out of it?

restinghour Pennsylvania
11/04/13 5:55 pm

A very good friend in 9th grade. At the time, I wasn't sure if his talks of suicide were serious or not but I am so glad I took them as such. Knowing what I know now, they were a cry for help. He and I no longer speak but I still care and I still

restinghour Pennsylvania
11/04/13 5:56 pm

worry about him. He's a real good guy, but tends to get a little lost in his own head and definitely in the world.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/03/13 8:21 am

The only opportunity I might have had, if I had known about it, I didn't know about. My best friend, who I'd never have guessed was suicidal, wanted me to come over on a Saturday to hang out. I was too busy. He killed himself that Sunday night.

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
11/03/13 11:02 pm

Oh no... That must've made you feel awful. You couldn't have known though.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/03/13 11:15 pm

Yeah, I know I couldn't have done anything differently, and I've come to terms with it, but I don't think I'll ever be all the way over the "what if?".

doctalk not all who wander r lost
11/04/13 7:31 pm

A good friend paid a surprise visit on Sat AM.... It was quick hey what's up visit. He did the same to our entire circle of friends that day then ended his life. It haunts me when I contemplate that he gave no clue of his pain to any of us.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/04/13 7:37 pm

doctalk stories similar to your experience are part of why I know mine wouldn't have been any different, except to have had a chance to spend a few more hours with my friend. I'm sorry you went through that too. It lingers.

fixitlater My Life
11/03/13 7:30 am

After 70 years of marriage my grandfather suddenly died. My grandmother laid in bed without taking her meds. She effectively committed suicide. I am not sure if I would have stopped her even if I had known. She was lost. She couldn't function.

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
11/03/13 7:54 am

Poor thing. :( about 2 years ago my friends grandpa was so depressed, he killed himself and was trying to talk his wife into going with him. She said no so he did it later that night. :/

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
11/03/13 7:54 am

He didn't kill her if that wasn't clear.

fixitlater My Life
11/03/13 8:01 am

In our society there is not an acceptable suicide. I think legal assisted suicide should be okay. Done in a humane manner.

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
11/03/13 8:05 am

I don't think legal assisted suicide is ok but I do think that if there isn't a possibility of getting better than they should stop trying to keep them alive (give them pain meds of course to keep them from suffering though). I think it's God's job

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
11/03/13 8:05 am

To tell someone that their life is over.

fixitlater My Life
11/03/13 8:14 am

People who have Incurable diseases that cause constant pain and elder folks with no family stuck in a home who are immobile and waiting to die, those are the folks who should be allowed to go if they choose. A doctor doing it is much more humane.

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
11/03/13 8:16 am

I guess it's just a personal opinion. I'd probably have to be in that situation to know what I'd do exactly.

fixitlater My Life
11/03/13 8:19 am

Have you ever been to a nursing home? The halls are littered with sad people waiting on death. It is torture. The families don't visit, the staff are numb, and quality of life is aimed at just getting through the day. It is horrible.

JanuaryLove
11/03/13 7:20 am

I haven't ever saved anyone (that I know of) from suicide, but I also haven't lost anyone that I know of to suicide. No frowny face here.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/03/13 1:14 am

One of my HS English students.

droo Santa Barbara
11/03/13 1:00 am

Yes. What is ironic is that at the time that I helped her, I too was contemplating suicide. In a way, being there to make sure she didn't take her life gave me a reason not to take my own.

droo Santa Barbara
11/03/13 1:05 am

It just feels a little hypocritical, you know? Telling someone that it will get better when you can't even tell yourself that. Telling someone there is a reason to live when you don't even have one. Ahh the feels. I need to go to bed.

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
11/03/13 1:08 am

You definitely have a reason to live. You aren't put on this earth for nothing. Each and every person plays a VERY important role in someone else's life even if you don't think so. I've lost a few friends I went to school with to suicide over the

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
11/03/13 1:10 am

Past 2 weeks. It's absolutely heart breaking! And I bet they thought I didn't care. But I did and lots of others did too. Imagine if you had a child and they took their own life, you wouldn't know what to do. All suicide does is lock in the pain and

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
11/03/13 1:12 am

It doesn't get better, and all scars do is remind you of that pain. Don't ever think that you're worthless. You mean everything to SOMEONE. :)

JanuaryLove
11/03/13 7:18 am

Droobear - That's essentially the method the angel from It's a Wonderful Life employed. He jumped off the bridge so Jimmy Stewart would save him instead of jumping off himself. I'm thankful that you are here. I enjoy your comments and contributions.

JanuaryLove
11/03/13 7:19 am

Reneezii - You've lost a FEW friends to suicide just in the last few weeks? Wow! What is going on?? I'm so sorry for your losses.

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
11/03/13 7:50 am

Yea. It's really crazy. I'm not sure what's going on but there was another friend yesterday who was talking about doing it and I was just like, in awe of how many people don't think there is a meaning to life or think that killing themselves will

Reneezii Exodus 20. 8 to 11
11/03/13 7:51 am

Make it all better when in reality they're being selfish in a way bc it makes it worse for other ppl who care about them. And thank you for the sympathy.

fixitlater My Life
11/03/13 8:05 am

I never really tried to commit suicide but I have a criteria list of "if this happened" I'm out.