pcox104 Florida
11/02/13 6:04 am

Scared of a sexuality? Am I atheist-phobic? Nah...

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/01/13 6:21 pm

Of course it's not a phobia! Nobody's AFRAID of homosexuals. But a suitable single word doesn't exist to describe "disapproval of homosexual activity and the 'gay lifestyle.'"

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/01/13 6:22 pm

And gays are 100% off base when they think that it means "dislike of gays."

megomez712 Vagabond
11/01/13 10:30 pm

Phobia: an extreme, persistent, irrational fear.
www.psychologytoday.com/files/u47/Henry_et_al.pdf

It actually is a phobia.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/01/13 10:39 pm

Where does the fear come in? We just disapprove of the behavior.

susanr Colorado
11/01/13 5:27 pm

It is indeed, because "phobia" does not only mean a fear of something (which I imagine exists regarding homosexuals, but is relatively rare); it also means an intense dislike or disgust. In that sense, I think a lot of people's feelings toward

susanr Colorado
11/01/13 5:29 pm

homosexuals qualify quite well (although not everyone who is anti-homosexual).

HOWEVER, I think the word is such an inflammatory term, because of the misunderstanding of its meaning, that the use of it just stops any rational discussion about

susanr Colorado
11/01/13 5:30 pm

homosexuality in its tracks. (There might not be any rational discussion anyway, but there sure isn't with that term in use.) I do not use it myself, and I recommend anyone else trying to have a rational discussion not use it, either.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
11/01/13 6:27 pm

Very good suggestion. As I said above, I think most people disapprove of the sexual activity, not the individual. But I admit there are those who hate, on both sides. Anything we can do to promote understanding is worth it.

Mattwall1
11/01/13 4:57 pm

If you go down to the most basic semantic argument no. It's more of an irrational hatred/ignorance et al than a fear.

Skarface Banned
11/01/13 4:55 pm

"I hate the word homophobia. You are not afraid. You are an assh*le."
-Mohandas Ghandi (probably)

bethanyq Ess Eff
11/01/13 4:54 pm

Depends. The term is overused, but there are most definitely people for whom it is accurate - some people DO have an irrational fear of gays that drives their actions. It's often tied up in the AIDS scare in a lot of ways.

MJSeals J.D.
11/01/13 4:53 pm

No, homo is latin for same phobia the fear of. Homophobia is the "fear of the same" it technically has nothing to do with sexuality

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/01/13 4:51 pm

Big misnomer. You either morally object which isn't a phobia or you are a hater of gays which is no more a phobia than antisemitism. Yes, fear sometimes gets expressed as hate but I think here, to quote Freud, a cigar is just a cigar.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
11/01/13 4:53 pm

When did you last see somebody tremble and sweat and say "I'm not going in this room, there's a gay man in there." This is what an arachnophobic friend did when there was a spider in his bedroom.

bethanyq Ess Eff
11/01/13 4:56 pm

I actually have seen physical reactions like that about gay people. Some religious communities create that kind of fear (at least that's where my experience is based).

megomez712 Vagabond
11/01/13 5:43 pm

Phobia: an extreme, persistent, irrational fear.
www.psychologytoday.com/files/u47/Henry_et_al.pdf

It actually is a phobia.

Liberty 4,032,064
11/01/13 4:51 pm

It's a bigoted slur used to attack people rather than arguments.