SOHTwit November 1st, 2013 4:47pm

@rands Much of the world traffics in titles. It's the means by which they convey their status. These people are douchebags.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
11/01/13 10:41 am

Good Tweet, great sentiment. I care more who you are than who your "dig me" sign says you are.

Wink
11/01/13 10:39 am

I didn't understand it. Bad tweet.

DavesNotHere where am I
11/01/13 10:39 am

Tweeting is an absolute waste of time and a great way to butcher English.

susanr Colorado
11/01/13 10:40 am

I totally disagree. It's a tool. It can be used wisely or stupidly.

DavesNotHere where am I
11/01/13 10:48 am

You probably tweet and get tweets from different people than I do. But when I go to topics randomly, I see people talking gutter & saying stupid immature things. Maybe I don't know how to use it.

susanr Colorado
11/01/13 10:52 am

That's exactly what I mean. I follow scientists, science journalists, interesting tech people (mostly Mac), food people, gardening people, some news media, etc, plus actual friends, and my daughter. If you look at any of the trending topics it's

DavesNotHere where am I
11/01/13 10:53 am

How's it a tool? Is SOH on twitter? Sorry to be so ignorant. I thought it was just to leave short remarks back n forth between people.

susanr Colorado
11/01/13 10:54 am

usually garbage. But because you CAN follow specific accounts, you have have to look at the garbage.

Not saying every tweet is a thing if wonder, but it's my very favorite social media site.

susanr Colorado
11/01/13 10:59 am

I can ask questions of, or follow discussions between, other scientists. I can find out what the tech people think about stuff, sometimes before seeing it in their columns, & in a much more casual way. I can be alerted to important events; I can

susanr Colorado
11/01/13 11:01 am

talk to the editor of my local newspaper (he's a nice guy) about things happening in town. I can get frequent updates about something happening locally, like during the wildfires here last summer. It's the greatest networking system I've ever

susanr Colorado
11/01/13 11:06 am

seen. It can be misused; you have to be careful, especially about breaking news.

I don't think SOH has a general Twitter account, but there is one where Tony occasionally posts funny stuff from SOH (@sohlol). (SOH has a Facebook page, though.)

DavesNotHere where am I
11/01/13 11:13 am

Thank you. I'm going to have to check out the different groups I can have a conversation with. Thank you for the tips.

cato Santa Barbara, California
11/01/13 10:37 am

Keep tweeting away from SOH. It is poison.

Liberty 4,032,064
11/01/13 10:17 am

Bad English makes for a bad tweet.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
11/01/13 10:11 am

That was kind of convoluted. If the author was saying that people use titles because it gives them a feeling of importance, AND that using titles for this reason is stupid, then I slightly agree.

alval California
11/01/13 10:16 am

So, a person earns the title "Doctor" are you saying they shouldn't use it? Yes, some people are douche bags about it, but title do serve a purpose.

ClarityRose Now taking suggestions
11/01/13 10:21 am

Anyone with a PhD has earned that title. What is their purpose for using it if not to convey status?

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
11/01/13 10:21 am

Notice the word "slightly". I've earned three sergeant ranks in CAP. But it'd be stupid for me to insist that you call me "Sergeant Lux" simply because I earned a title in something that doesn't apply to the current situation.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
11/01/13 10:23 am

I'm fine though with doctors and PhD recipients being called "Doctor" so long as they don't just sit around and play video games all day long.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
11/01/13 10:24 am

Also, people currently engaged in an activity which gives them a title, I will happily use. Military ranks for example ("General Jones"), or "Senator Jones", etc.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
11/01/13 10:26 am

My point though is that there is a fine line between using a title out of respect for the individual. Versus the individual INSISTING that you use the title so that they feel important.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
11/01/13 11:21 am

Arrgh. Grammar issues that I didn't notice until after I had posted them.

OhTheIrony Learning from you
11/01/13 10:00 am

If you're going to insult a broad group of people, you're a bad tweeter.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place