Show Of Hands November 1st, 2013 5:24am

If the elections for governor in Virginia were being held today (Nov. 1), which candidate would you vote for? a) Terry McAuliffe, the Democrat b) Ken Cuccinelle, the Republican c) Someone else d) Won't vote

maxdude Washington DC
11/01/13 2:52 pm

Yet another example that SOH leans toward Republican opinions. All the statistical opinion polls have McAuliffe ahead by double digits.

11/01/13 4:20 pm

Not any more. Check your facts.

dudley northern Virginia woods
11/01/13 4:59 pm

So stay home then.

kcRVAco
11/01/13 6:20 pm

Cry me a river liberal!

dudley northern Virginia woods
11/01/13 6:25 pm

I meant max dude should stay home if max has already decided who will win. Meanwhile, I intend to vote but not for terry Mcawful.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/01/13 12:56 pm

Too conservative.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/01/13 12:57 pm

Even Bruce Thompson doesn't want him.

11/01/13 10:56 am

If you want to compare track records, McAuliffe's most recent business accomplishment was a phony visa sale scheme for Chinese businessmen. After promising to create new jobs here, he built the plant in Mississippi instead.

11/01/13 10:43 am

Cuccinelli's actions as Attorney General matter more than either his words or McAuliffe's. Because past actions serve as a better predictor of future actions than words do.

11/01/13 10:49 am

What actions do you have concerns about?

11/01/13 11:05 am

Most of the lawsuits he has brought - including those against the ACA & EPA. As AG the cases you opt to file speak loudest about your beliefs. There was also his recommendation regarding gender & sexual discrimination in VA state universities.

11/01/13 11:52 am

The lawsuit against the ACA was extremely popular here, and ultimately upheld by the Supreme Court. Forcing VA to expand Medicare would have meant taking money from roads or education to pay for it. McAuliffe wants to do it anyway.

11/01/13 12:27 pm

The lawsuit against the EPA was directed at their unlawful attempt to regulate storm water runoff as pollution. It was brought on behalf if the Democrat controlled Fairfax County Board. It was also successful, and saved VA taxpayers a lot of money.

11/01/13 12:32 pm

His directions to state universities regarding discrimination was simply that they had no authority under VA law to establish those policies

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/05/AR2010030501582.html

11/01/13 1:25 pm

There were actually several he brought against the EPA. Regarding that one, I should just note that storm water runoff is a major problem. It's also something that there are a number of low-cost ways to deal with (e.g. rain gardens).

11/01/13 1:26 pm

But I won't speak to that particular case without refreshing my memory on it first.

11/01/13 1:32 pm

For the ACA one, studies have shown there to be substantial economic benefit to the Medicaid expansion. A study in Michigan found a $1B savings over 10 years, for example. More relevant, VA would be estimated to save $555M.

11/01/13 4:23 pm

McAuliffe seems to think expanding Medicare will give him all kinds of money to spread around too; but the math is inexplicable. The fed promises to pay 100% of costs for 3 years, 90% after. Where does ANY extra money come from?

11/01/13 10:30 am

Cuccinelli is way, way too far right. No, thank you. McAuliffe is by no means ideal, but the alternative is a nightmare. Bolling would have been a better Republican nominee...but of course stood no chance at a convention.

11/01/13 10:34 am

"Better" = more moderate, more electable than Cuccinelli. The VA Senate is often ranked among the most efficient legislative bodies in the country, despite always being a close split (and even a tie), and Bolling presides over that chamber.

11/01/13 9:43 am

We don't need an inside-the-beltway guy like McAuliffe "fixing" Virginia.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/01/13 9:28 am

30% of under 21s won't vote??

kcRVAco
11/01/13 9:31 am

That really surprises you?!?!

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/01/13 9:38 am

Yes. Well, I'll get out the word and take people to the polling place. It'll be my first, though as I've voted absentee in every election since I was registered.

redwolf thisisavalidlocation
11/01/13 9:59 am

You don't have to be 18 to be on this app right? Maybe at least some of that 30 is under voting age

11/01/13 10:38 am

Not only that, but there are only 66 votes, in a state of nearly 8.2 million. Definition of small sample size.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/01/13 9:22 am

SOMEONE ELSE!!! Sarvis for Governor! "Virginia- Open Minded and Open for Business!"

11/01/13 8:14 am

McAuliffe's attack ads are backfiring. Unlike the low information voters the Dens count on to win elections, Virginia has a large number of involved and informed citizens.

Like the group of women demonstrating against McAuliffe's lies last weekend.

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
11/01/13 9:27 am

I don't care about that stuff. That's irrelevant to the post of governor..

11/01/13 10:41 am

Both candidates are lying. What else is new?

apparition Tacoma
11/01/13 7:50 am

I don't really believe the scare tactics by the democrats. Odd because it's normally republicans scaring us away from democrats.

kcRVAco
11/01/13 9:26 am

He's the one one I prefer. I am not here to try and persuade anyone or win your vote. Look were "experience" has gotten us so far. Government at all levels is a disgrace at this point. It time for a change.

11/01/13 9:41 am

I agree, at the national level. VA is a completely different story than the mess across the river though. We have responsible governance, reasonable taxes, top notch education, constantly improving roads and infrastructure, and a balanced budget.

kcRVAco
11/01/13 10:19 am

We just had one if the largest tax increases in the state by an R, our education system is ok but can be improved, our infrastructure is decent but can also be improved. The problem just like everywhere lies with the politicians.

kcRVAco
11/01/13 10:22 am

Government is the problem. Everything the government touches turns to shit. If government got out of the way I truly believe we can turn it around. Until republicans realize their own party promotes bigger government nothing will change.

11/01/13 10:53 am

I don't think a 1% increase in the sales tax is outrageous, especially as federal funds disappear. Our schools rank as far more than "adequate" and at least in NVa there are dozens of projects improving roads to reduce congestion. We are doing fine.

kcRVAco
11/01/13 11:52 am

Go talk to a teacher about our education system and how they feel about the government involvement. As for the roads they are still millions in the whole perfect example is the hot lanes in nova. Waste of tax payers money.

11/01/13 11:57 am

As it happens I have a teacher sitting a few feet away, who is not hesitant to share her views on education here. The state doesn't meddle, the fed govt does. The HOT lanes were privately funded - a good example of state/private partnerships

11/01/13 12:33 pm

We don't just need more roads. We need more alternative methods of transportation. I rarely see the 495 HOT lanes being used that much. So if they aren't a waste of money they are a waste of land. Traffic hasn't really improved with them.

11/01/13 12:37 pm

Just putting more and more roads and lanes on roads will only put more cars on the roads. Esp. in growing areas like NoVA.

11/01/13 12:39 pm

There were two results I could see from the HOT lanes - 1) nobody wants to pay the toll, 2) it's a well off area, people will pay the toll, but put more cars on the road in the process. Neither scenario improves congestion. The 1st is coming true.

11/01/13 12:42 pm

The Rt 28 corridor has had cloverleafs added at every major intersection from Manassas to Rt 7. There's more projects coming to make it effectively the "outer beltway" we've needed for a long time.

11/01/13 12:44 pm

The HOT lanes themselves weren't meant to reduce congestion, but they got us all new east/west bridges over the beltway at no public expense.

11/01/13 12:45 pm

What is desperately needed is a Beltway line on the Metro - an expanded version of the current Purple Line proposal. Shouldn't take 1.5-2 hours min to go from NoVA to Bethesda, for ex., just because you have to go through DC in the process.

11/01/13 12:48 pm

It won't happen until they at least finish the Silver Line, but they need a line paralleling the beltway connecting the middle of the lines. Metro could substantially increase ridership with that, esp. between Tysons and Montgomery.

11/01/13 12:57 pm

28 is way too far out for most thru traffic to/from MD on the Beltway to use. It's only really of use between Chantilly and Centerville. You still have to cut over to the American Legion Bridge, because that area is not conducive to a new bridge.

11/01/13 12:58 pm

I agree. Aside from cost, another problem would be integrating a VA only metro with a multi-jurisdiction metro.

11/01/13 1:00 pm

Now, for those cars traveling further than just between Centerville and Chantilly, you've put more traffic on 7, more traffic on 66, both of which are already bad enough. This worsens congestion.

11/01/13 1:01 pm

We have the land on the VA side for a bridge; removing a mansion on the MD side is the problem. If we could, it could run right to I-270 and take a lot of traffic off the beltway.

11/01/13 1:02 pm

The cost reason is why I recognize it won't happen before the Silver Line is complete. They would need to have joint planning with the proposal in Montgomery at least, to create an effective link at least between the Red & Orange Lines for starters.

11/01/13 1:05 pm

But even just a Red-Orange link would be a step forward in connecting the busiest inter-suburb transit corridor in the region (Fairfax-Tysons-Montgomery) much more effectively.

11/01/13 1:13 pm

I'd still have concerns about the viability of 28 to serve areas inside and south of the 28 corridor. You can already cut up to 70 via US 15, but you have to drive out to Leesburg to do that, which is rarely worth the additional time.

11/01/13 1:16 pm

28 isn't as far, but still a ways. And there would likely be a bottleneck at the merge onto 270 should it get there.

Having said that, if it was part of a diversified transit plan providing for alternatives as well, I could get behind it.

kcRVAco
11/01/13 7:30 am

Yet again you asshats fail to list all of the candidates. This app is just as bad as the media! Sarvis all the way!!!!

redwolf thisisavalidlocation
11/01/13 7:34 am

You may as well vote for McAwful

kcRVAco
11/01/13 8:10 am

No thanks, I'll vote for who I a believe is the best candidate. I don't waste my vote like most! I always enjoy hearing citizens complain about the two party system, And then refuse to vote for anyone other the a R or D.

kcRVAco
11/01/13 8:16 am

And besides I've already voted, so I could careless what anyone say these days

11/01/13 8:35 am

Sardis has no political experience in VA either. Aside from a knee- jerk vote against the two entrenched party, can you give us any reason to vote for him?

kcRVAco
11/01/13 8:57 am

The fact that he's not a R or D should be enough

11/01/13 9:10 am

I don't think it's enough. We could elect any schmuck to warm the govern it's chair for four years. As an independent I would stand behind a qualified 3rd party candidate. Sardis isn't qualified.

11/01/13 9:11 am

Fuck you autocorrect.

kcRVAco
11/01/13 9:30 am

See post above I f'ed up now

redwolf thisisavalidlocation
11/01/13 2:50 am

Certainly not Terry McAwful

zapheus
11/01/13 1:06 am

Why doesn't SOH list Robert Sarvis? He is on the ballot.

11/01/13 9:15 am

There's a couple write-in candidates too. Maybe he wanted to include Salahi. Hahahaha.

DrReid Ever present.
10/31/13 11:24 pm

Cuccinelli really never had a chance. He was too extreme from the beginning.

tacolovr Monstropolis
11/01/13 5:04 am

It's true he's too extreme... But with the projections... I'm scared.

11/01/13 8:12 am

Only if you believe McAuliffe's lies.

11/01/13 8:32 am

Mcauliffe has taken a ton of money from Bloomberg to push for gun control here. He's taken a ton of money from planned parenthood to roll back abortion limits here. These are extremist views, not Virginia values.

11/01/13 10:53 am

McAuliffe has led every poll since mid-July, and all but two dating back to early/mid May. It's safe to say he has a lead - by how much is a different story.

DrReid Ever present.
11/01/13 10:56 am

They aren't lies. I knew Ken before he became attorney general. We attended the same mass. So I know that Ken is a good family man, I have no doubt that he thinks he is doing the right thing. But he simply cannot

DrReid Ever present.
11/01/13 11:02 am

Separate his religion from his politics. He has talked about the need to "return Virginia to the word of God", and how that was one of his motivations for running for public office in the first place.

11/01/13 12:05 pm

Would you oppose a Muslim candidate on the basis of his/her religion? I think that's pretty shallow.

11/01/13 12:25 pm

I do not oppose anyone strictly on the basis of their religion. But I am a believer in the separation of church and state, so I do oppose those who attempt to integrate the two, regardless of their religion.

DrReid Ever present.
11/01/13 12:31 pm

Ken and I share the same faith. I do not believe in any religious test for office. The best way to ensure religious liberty for all, is through a secular government.

11/01/13 12:34 pm

So only atheists can run. Got it.

DrReid Ever present.
11/01/13 12:37 pm

I think you need to read that again. I said NO religious test, and I said Secular, as opposed to theocratic, not atheist. Surely you understand the difference?

11/01/13 12:53 pm

You seem to think his faith makes him too extreme, even though it's shared by the vast majority of Virginians. His values are mainstream here, outside inner-city Richmond and Norfolk, and whack-a-doodle Arlington.

Burntwaffle VA Politics and Pie
11/01/13 10:05 pm

Ya, I'm sure ken would support having a gay holicaust here. He is a bigoted, homophobic, insane, asshole who wants to force others to follow his beliefs.