Shazam October 31st, 2013 3:49am

Public school test scores & graduation rates are the highest they've ever been in history while dropout rates are the lowest they've ever been in history. Is the public education system broken?

stefanie22 Cincinnati
10/31/13 1:51 pm

The way it's funded is totally broken!

doctalk not all who wander r lost
10/31/13 8:35 am

Many variables. However based on the measurable outcome of USA's falling rank among the international community, USA needs to improve or get passed up.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
10/31/13 2:58 am

The school system isn't broken. It still provides the opportunity to get the best education. Its the students that aren't getting to take advantage of the opp. For whatever reasons.

RJ1969 SoCal
10/30/13 9:00 pm

I think people generalize on this too much. There are a lot of great schools and teachers. There are some that suck. We can't use a sweeping brush to describe the whole system.

bMyComrade Stumptown
10/30/13 9:28 pm

Thanks you!

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
10/30/13 9:54 pm

RJ I completely agree. The author points out that while we're fighting this nebulous "bad public school" enemy, the largest cause of poor performance is childhood poverty - and nearly half of the states have about 50% of their students mired in.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
10/30/13 9:55 pm

The idea she's putting forward is we're fighting a battle that can't be won bc we continue to ignore the elephant in the room that's directly leading to poor performance.

Torfin Never Behind
10/30/13 8:56 pm

I doubt the accuracy of your source. Grades have been on a downward spiral for a very long time. and Common Core will make things far worse.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
10/30/13 9:14 pm

Torfin, here's the ISBN: 9780385350884 pick it up at your local bookstore or library!

JiveYoungKing The Banter Boy
10/30/13 8:53 pm

Is that true? Haha I don't believe it.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
10/30/13 8:53 pm

The single biggest source of low academic achievement is poverty and the US has the highest level of childhood poverty of any advanced nation. I think we may be focusing our efforts on the wrong issue. What do you think?

veritas1 Panda
10/30/13 9:09 pm

Wow. That's a good point. Maybe education is more of a dependent variable than we, or at least I, previously thought. Although, I still think tying half of school funding to property taxes disadvantages poor students.

Shazam Scaramouche, OH
10/30/13 9:17 pm

I agree V. This is one of a very very few instances where I think all the taxes collected should be pooled at state/fed level and then distributed according to need. Check out tonight's Jon Stewart for the interview with the author. Smart cookie.

suzisnowflake A pleasant peninsula
10/31/13 6:33 pm

I completely agree that poverty has a huge impact on learning.