Posco October 30th, 2013 1:26pm

Should the waiting list for organ transplants be treated equally with a first come - first serve basis, or should certain groups have priority over others (children, veterans, organ donors, or others)?

XercesBlue ...
10/30/13 10:51 am

I see no problem with prioritizing by need. I've only had experience with one transplant list. They went by priority. The compatibility of the organ was compared to those on the list until a match was made. I truly don't have enough experience to

XercesBlue ...
10/30/13 10:51 am

Make a decision. Certainly not enough hands on information or experience.

TierasPet
10/30/13 8:37 am

I think, and I may be wrong, there is some preference depending on how long you have to live without the organ.

trollthepoll Pro Choice
10/30/13 7:33 am

You clearly don't know how it works.... The sicker you are the higher you're score for transplant and 11 and under are preferred and should be.

trollthepoll Pro Choice
10/30/13 7:35 am

First come first serve doesn't work some children would die in a few days without a transplant... My child has been waiting for a liver in the ICU for 8 weeks....

Posco BBQ Enthusiast
10/30/13 8:44 am

I had a pretty good idea how it worked, I was just curious how others thought it should.

kelsey498 Colorado
11/01/13 9:54 pm

I'm sorry to hear that troll. I know a girl waiting for a new heart. Can't imagine how tough it is for you and your family to have to wait. Sending good thoughts your way and hoping the liver will come soon!

RJ1969 SoCal
10/30/13 7:28 am

Compatible matching to reduce rejection or HvG disease. All other considerations are secondary.

bMyComrade Stumptown
10/30/13 7:05 am

Children, yes. Much else, no. Perhaps some degree of seriousness of need.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/30/13 6:45 am

It should be preferential - but it should have to do with who is sickest

Fjolsvin Midgard
10/30/13 6:40 am

I would rather it be most likely to survive to least likely.

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
10/30/13 6:31 am

I thought it already was first come.. But I think children should be at the top, with a few exception doctors find might need it quicker, also closest to the organ should count as well...

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
10/30/13 6:31 am

Those who need transplants the most should get preference even if they're not "next in line." As in, someone who will die soon if they don't get it.

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
10/30/13 6:29 am

You should be able to sell your own organs. Problem solved overnight.

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
10/30/13 6:43 am

Depends how fiscally advantageous it would be to me if such a free market were to be allowed.