Mattwall1 October 29th, 2013 1:18pm

Many people have one or two experiences that shaped their political philosophy. If you have one, what was yours?

kspells TheOtherOtherside
10/31/13 12:50 pm

Voting for Ronald Reagan when I was 18. I studied everything I could so I could make an informed decision on everything that would be on the ballot.i was God Smacked because I didn't know the judges were voted on. Now I believe judges are the most

kspells TheOtherOtherside
10/31/13 12:52 pm

Important elected official to be knowledgeable about.

DavesNotHere where am I
10/29/13 4:41 pm

I started understanding politics during the watergate era. That'll put a negative taste in your mouth. It's gone downhill from there. So now my political affiliation is independent because I can't stand either party.

lyyved Virginia
10/29/13 2:16 pm

Watergate- I went to the Senate hearings. Also my work as a home health physical therapist. Saw the daily struggle too many people make just to put food on the table, raise their children in dangerous neighborhoods, etc.

heknew11 USA,,,
10/29/13 1:43 pm

I was invited to a talk given by Bob Dole in 1979 about "Why you should be a Republican" and it was lucid, logical, intelligent and overall just about perfect. There were about 150 of us there and he was so gracious to us all.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/29/13 10:28 am

I can't think of any specific experiences. My political views are shaped by who I am, which it turn is shaped by a lifetime of experience and introspection. My politics tracks my sense of right and wrong.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/29/13 10:17 am

Two big ones:

1. Deconverting from Christianity to an atheistic worldview.

2. Getting melanoma.

Mattwall1
10/29/13 12:19 pm

I'm curious. How did melanoma affect your views?

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/29/13 1:35 pm

I was in a position where I had to choose to leave a job that had zero future potential and keep my medical benefits or go back to school and finish my degree. There were no "bootstrap" methods. It was a stark, one or the other choice.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/29/13 1:36 pm

It made me realize how lucky I was that this was one of the first times I had to make such a decision. Others likely had to make choices like this, much of the time without the positive outcomes of mine, all the time. I was white, male, and...

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/29/13 1:38 pm

...from a solidly middle class family. It simply have me a new perspective that sometimes the government can help people towards a positive end. That little admission, coupled with my recent deconversion was a formative experience.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
10/29/13 9:59 am

Once upon a time there were two political parties, both hated each other and were always pointing fingers. They scared the living hell out of me so when I registered to vote, I registered as independent. The End.

mherclif Ann Arbor, MI
10/29/13 9:52 am

I grew up in a conservative town. Being gay, this pushed me to look at the world in a different way. Being harassed and bullied by people just for being who I am by so-called Christians not only influenced my politics, my also my religious beliefs.

edrewiii
10/29/13 9:23 am

No specific experience, just my overall morals and basic beliefs make me a conservative.

kelsey498 Colorado
10/29/13 8:34 am

My biggest event that shaped my political beliefs was moving to a very small and conservative town for college during the 2008 election. The things I saw and heard there were what pushed me to be even more liberal than I already was.

dp32r
10/29/13 6:35 am

I guess that it's just living with my family everyone cares about politics. You just hear all the different opinions of each side, and go from there. I guess 8th grade civics showed me a lot though.

Mattwall1
10/29/13 6:37 am

I think we both had similar experiences although for so,e reason I didn't have 8th grade civics

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/29/13 10:18 am

This gives me hope as an 8th grade history teacher.

Keldeo Laverre City
10/29/13 6:22 am

I just go with the obviously correct answer, not that hard...

TomM
10/29/13 6:22 am

I don't believe it is just one. It's a long development. I saw how my parents started out with very little but through hard work established a well deserved middle class life.

TomM
10/29/13 6:25 am

Oh I have one which had a very significant impact. My parents took us to Eastern Europe when it was still communist. I can still see how these terrible regimes ruined those countries. It was staggering how different eastern Germany was from the west.

Cole12 ...
10/29/13 6:21 am

In 8th grade, I became extremely interested in politics/economics. I spent hours every day for several weeks researching online and soon found the ideology I subscribe to today.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/29/13 6:20 am

I don't have one or two - it's a lifetime of experiences

Ebola1 Florida
10/29/13 6:25 am

Same here. My political philosophy has evolved and been tempered by reality. Many things which seem so clear when you're young disappear in the light of reality.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/29/13 8:53 am

I'm with you two on this one.

Ebola1 Florida
10/29/13 9:00 am

I like you, MrL. You're articulate and kind and I'm very impressed with your ability to think for yourself. Just because we disagree at times, don't ever think I don't like you.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/29/13 9:04 am

Thanks, Ebola. I appreciate that. I wasn't all that concerned. The existence of differences does not equate to dislike. It's simply a difference of opinions, and as long as those beliefs are conveyed in a respectful manner - I have no issue. I'm glad

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/29/13 9:05 am

we got past those early speed bumps. :)
I do enjoy your presence around the app; despite our dissension, at times.

Ebola1 Florida
10/29/13 9:09 am

I don't mean to suggest that my approval is any prize. In fact it might work against you. ;)

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/29/13 9:15 am

Ha... That's alright. Courteous interactions are all I ask for. :)

Mattwall1
10/29/13 6:20 am

Also, I'd like to thanks Itabliss for being my 300th follower, and rrruggi for being my 301st follower