doctalk October 25th, 2013 9:14pm

Health Care costs over 2 Trillion per year. That is $600M per day for a THOUSAND years. I am not sure about the ACA, but can both sides agree WE need to do something to improve our current system?

Darlajeanhood maine
11/22/13 7:45 am

I favor the idea of a tax free medical savings account. A personal account to which you contribute a weekly dollar amount. Used for medical and emergncy purposes. Like a Christmas Club.

BamaGirl ROLL TIDE from Arizona
10/27/13 5:03 pm

I would move away from a third party payer system, so that we have more free markets & patients can comparison shop. I would have tax free health savings accounts & catastrophic coverage.

cbbfle Nashville, TN
10/25/13 6:24 pm

It's 505 per person, per month, btw.

doctalk not all who wander r lost
10/25/13 8:25 pm

None better anywhere. Poor distribution of benefits. Wasted Wasted dollars on end of life .. Etc

FollowYourBliss Never Happy, Ever After
10/25/13 3:20 pm

We have the best healthcare in the world!... If you can afford it... Someone I know flies to Canada to get dental work done, even with the plane ticket it's cheaper.

doctalk not all who wander r lost
10/25/13 8:25 pm

susanr Colorado
10/25/13 3:11 pm

I think the math is off a little. Doesn't a trillion have 12 zeros, making the time period 10 years? I think your figure has 14. It's still a big number...

But could we have some perspective? This is less than $2 per day per citizen.

susanr Colorado
10/25/13 3:20 pm

And for more perspective, how does it compare to the military budget?

susanr Colorado
10/25/13 3:55 pm

Yeah, but MY figure was wrong, too. I was just looking at the $600M per day, not the "for a thousand years" part. If that's really 10 years, it comes to (something less than) $200/day/citizen, not $2.

I think, anyway.

doctalk not all who wander r lost
10/25/13 8:36 pm

Math Majors Help!! 1000 years = 365,000 days .. Yes your right. That's 6M a day for a thousand years. 60M per day for 100 years... 600M per day for 10'years or $6B per day for a year. Lots of $$, how much wasted, misdirected?

susanr Colorado
10/25/13 8:43 pm

Well, who knows? What does that figure cover? All medical costs of all people? And how DOES it compare to military costs?

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
10/25/13 3:01 pm

The U.S. Is the only modern country that does not provide health care for it's citizens. truecostblog.com/2009/08/09/countries-with-universal-healthcare-by-date/

susanr Colorado
10/25/13 3:13 pm

It's less than $2 per day per citizen. (I don't know what costs the figure actually includes, though.)

susanr Colorado
10/25/13 3:53 pm

Hm. I think I figured that wrong.

doctalk not all who wander r lost
10/25/13 8:38 pm

Yes ,, if you can get medical care for $30 per month... You are visiting a magician. Vitamins Cost more than that!!

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/25/13 2:45 pm

It's definitely broken, which is why, love the ACA or don't, the status quo has proven not to be a viable option.

doctalk not all who wander r lost
10/25/13 8:38 pm

Sadly MD have known this for decades but MDs have NO organizational power.

Vincere Seattle
10/25/13 2:32 pm

We spend more on healthcare (as % of GDP) than any other country in the world. Serious reforms are needed.

doctalk not all who wander r lost
10/25/13 8:39 pm

Avoid excess lab- avoid disease not treat. .. Personal reward for healthy lifestyle!!

comppete Las Vegas
10/25/13 2:23 pm

Their is no single or simple answer. My first response would be to change the whole Tort system and limit damages to costs, plus $100k.

MisterE Conservistan
10/25/13 2:17 pm

I reject the government being involved in any change.

doctalk not all who wander r lost
10/25/13 8:41 pm

They do have a poor track record. Maybe we can get things back on track. But they have a tastey idea of sharing in the 2.3 TT budget.

MisterE Conservistan
10/25/13 8:57 pm

I think prices are high because massive insurance companies are paying medical costs instead of individuals. If a large enough amount of people dropped coverage, prices would go down.