Show Of Hands October 25th, 2013 8:04pm

Are you an Independent (political affiliation)?

chemist2016
10/28/13 7:14 pm

I'm a independent with a deep hate for both major parties and lobbyist.

3acn
10/27/13 2:34 am

For now NO, but I am watching the RINOS. If they seam to be getting the upper hand of the GOP again I will register independent and vote against them.

3acn
10/28/13 1:18 pm

I guess it depends on the context of the conversation. I have used it to refer to myself at times in the sense that I 100% disapprove of McCain, Boehner, etc... But in this thread I am referring to them a the RINO. Bottom line we are a house divided

darthezu Philly
10/26/13 2:23 pm

I've been a member of the Green Party since I was 18 however I've found that in reality I'm in agreement with many libertarian and pirate party ideals. Now having said everyone will probably hate on me now. But life isn't as simple as party politics.

darthezu Philly
10/26/13 2:26 pm

For example I'm pro-death straight up. Like you commit 3 violent crimes death penalty! You wanna have an abortion go for it!

darthezu Philly
10/26/13 2:30 pm

I agree with the pirate party on copy right and trademark issues. The DMCA can suck my balls!

darthezu Philly
10/26/13 2:34 pm

I agree with libertarians stance on the personal freedoms to an individual's use of guns, recreational drugs, and prostitution. I also agree with they're isolationist stance regarding the international community.

darthezu Philly
10/26/13 2:42 pm

My green party issues that I'd like to see enacted would be universal single payer healthcare, a stronger EPA, and a push towards fusion/renewable energy sources.

darthezu Philly
10/26/13 2:45 pm

However I no longer believe that anyone party has all the right ideas anymore. But one thing I've always known is that the 2 big parties aren't serving any of us. They only serve they're lobbists and corporate interests.

whatever FL
10/26/13 10:42 am

The party percentages are ridiculous on this one.

botulizard Wakefield, MA
10/26/13 8:10 am

Party-wise, yes. I'm officially unenrolled, but I'm by no means a neutral or centrist.

Klensken phx
10/26/13 4:31 am

There needs to be either several more respectable parties or none at all. It's really shitty that every election is dem vs rep, and each candidate stays well within "party lines".

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
10/26/13 3:32 am

Did anybody else notice that the four 'yes' percentages add up to a lot more than 100%?

getupbaby South City
10/26/13 8:52 am

They don't need to add up to 100.

GrandmaALiCE For a better 2021
10/26/13 2:27 pm

But, they shouldn't be more! Tony said to pick one answer only. Obviously, some did not follow directions.

CzarCastic
10/25/13 9:31 pm

Why did only 90% of independents vote yes on this?

lmurder MDK
10/25/13 8:32 pm

Can't believe an independent hasn't won.

Irrelevant United States
10/25/13 8:04 pm

Philosophically, I'm an anarchist. But since the State will never actually go away, I'm just cynical.

dotails DotUrTsAndCrossUrEyes
10/25/13 7:37 pm

I am part of no political group. I am a christian architect designer artist philosopher scientist and lover of people because He first loved me.

ProfDG I Want Truth
10/25/13 7:00 pm

I have Libertarian leanings and usually side with Conservatives on fiscal issues. However, I'm more middle of the road on social issues. For example, criminalization of marijuana makes no sense to me.

gatsbyxxv
10/25/13 6:50 pm

Basically, none of the above. I categorize myself as moderately, conservative, traditionalist. Which means it depends. Party affiliation will be a thing of the past at least in its current form. It just won't have the same impact.

at23steelers earth
10/25/13 6:49 pm

im a moderate who is a conservative libertarian

selfthink
10/25/13 5:05 pm

Neither the republicans nor the democrats represent my views fully. People need to pull their head out of their party and think for themselves. I see pure party loyalty as blindness and an inability to look at all sides. Look at congress for an e.g.

selfthink
10/25/13 5:12 pm

Dems - if Bush sucked so bad what does it say about you that you can't put a better person up to beat him TWICE!
Reps - if Obama sucks so bad what does it say about you that you can't put a better person up to beat him TWICE!

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/29/13 12:38 am

Not that I'm a Dem, but the Supreme Court handed Dubyah the first election.

SnowKatcher The Road To Nowhere
10/25/13 4:49 pm

I would be curious to see what third party independents tend to prefer or associate with (besides libertarian).

Constitution Party and Green Party are among the larger third parties, but I'm sure there are others as well that independents prefer.

globalwarming End Climate Change Now
10/25/13 4:22 pm

Democrats, Republicans, and Libertarians are all embarrassing. Green Party!

10/25/13 4:45 pm

Embarrassing? From the user named "globalwarming" while we're in a decade-long cooling trend? You Green Party people need to stop making it so easy....

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
10/25/13 4:50 pm

Hahaha....Says "anarchy"!

globalwarming End Climate Change Now
10/25/13 5:06 pm

Cooling trend? Turn the graph the right side up anarchy. 2005 was the hottest year on record globally, 2009 was second. The last decade was the warmest on record. That doesn't look like cooling to me.

getupbaby South City
10/26/13 1:15 am

Libertarians and Green Party have been friendly for a long time. Otherwise, who would either debate? Don't hurt your already minuscule party by ostracizing them against the second smallest party.

globalwarming End Climate Change Now
10/26/13 5:58 am

Hey i'm not about saving inter-party relations, I'm about truth. Aren't you guys the ones promoting freedom of speech.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/29/13 7:52 am

@Anarchy, one analysis I have read cited the Chinese not removing sulphur from their gasoline. Wasn't able to open this link right now, but
www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/04/us-climate-sulphur-idUSTRE7634IQ20110704

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/29/13 12:24 pm

Same thing was happening in the US before sulfur was removed due to acid rain. Remove sulphur, increase warming. As I had heard, they are about to begin widespread removal. (esp considering the recent coverage of pollution)

vbranger Hillary for Prison
10/25/13 4:19 pm

Democrats have all the ugly women & Republicans have all the Good looking women. No wonder why Democrats have such sour attitudes.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
10/25/13 3:42 pm

Very much independent. My views don't come in red or blue sets.

dflem Arizona
10/25/13 3:07 pm

I agree more with democrats but I vote third party every time. This country needs leadership change and not just to the other party. More third party candidates on ballots! This is 'Merica! Where are my choices?

Harrison666 Eugene Oregon
10/25/13 2:58 pm

I side more with democrats, but not enough to become one.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
10/25/13 2:42 pm

I'm an "Other", but Independant is the closest.

10/25/13 2:36 pm

To the left of the "democrats"

TempName14 Everywhere but nowhere
10/25/13 2:39 pm

I'm to the right of the Repubs.

ScrewU Gone
10/25/13 3:07 pm

What lies to the left of gay marriage, universal healthcare, amnesty for illegals and embracing the Muslim Brotherhood?

ScrewU Gone
10/25/13 3:20 pm

I shudder to think.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
10/25/13 3:43 pm

Laughing at embracing the Muslim Brotherhood. Far from it.

Diknak Ohio
10/25/13 3:56 pm

to the left of democrats is socialism.

10/25/13 3:57 pm

Laughig at the idea that you could migrate further right than we have been lately, and universal health care if one thig to the left you know an efficient way of doing it that doesnt have to prop up an entire unnecessary insurance industry

10/25/13 4:00 pm

Nothing near socialism, pure capitalism, limits on pollition, everyone would make a livable wage(not 7.50 an hour, companies like walmart and mcdonalds can easily afford to pay their workers12$ an hour if it cost nothing to walmart itd cost the )

10/25/13 4:02 pm

If walmart wanted to pay all their employees 12$ an hour at NO COST to them, never mind reasonably expect it come out of insane profits, itd cost the aberage customer 12$ a year more or less, costco for example has a good business model

10/25/13 4:03 pm

But ya jus limits on pollution ti ensure we dont kill the planet faster than we are, ad people would e paid, which increases consumer confidence which is the cornerstone of a healthy economy, crazy ideas i know(sarcasm)

10/25/13 4:04 pm

And id take our soldiers out of all foreign countries, we've not been attacked by a foreign nation directly since pearl habor, 9/11 was done by a shitty terrorist organization that cant mout shit and we've done so much shit in the middle

10/25/13 4:09 pm

Weve done so mich in the middle east that i dont evn need to go into it, id gut the military industrial complex(because im so crazy i dont think we need to spend 3 times as much as the worlds comfortable 2nd military spender to not suddenly die)

10/25/13 4:12 pm

Mainly id take money out of politics, if we dont all agree thats the number one thing broken with our country then we've found the REAL discussion we should be having i think thats the best thing we could so for the country

10/25/13 4:37 pm

Armadillo: there is so much nonsense in that I don't know where to start. McDonalds can absolutely afford $12 an hour...he'll, $80 an hour. Your really wanna pay $40 for a crappy burger? Do you people not think when you make these claims?

10/25/13 4:39 pm

...are you claiming to be a libertarian while arguing the government should step in a mandate a (as you call it) "livable minimum wage" (which is highly debatable and flies in the face of common sense and market capitalism)? I take issue if you are.

DenisC NYC Rome Miami Beach
10/26/13 1:00 am

So I see we have Socialists and Tea Partiers here. Interesting

ScrewU Gone
10/26/13 4:31 am

KAnne we put the Muslim brotherhood in power in Egypt, something they have been trying to do themselves for 80 years.

10/26/13 9:14 am

Anarchy i love how you ignored the rest ofthe post, where i quoted a UC berkely study that showed that if it cost NOTHING o the corp, walmart could pay its workers 12$ an hour at a cost of about 12$ to the averge customer

10/26/13 9:16 am

But if u want qalmart to keep paying them dirt so u can pay to have 80% of them on food stamps then be my guest, so far youve called me crazy and dodged my point, im not convinced

10/26/13 9:17 am

12 dollars to the average customer pPER YEAR, so ya ill pay an additional 2 cents for my burger so i dont have to pay 3/4 of those workers to be on foodstamps, crazy shit

10/26/13 9:19 am

Armadillo: try not rambling on for 10 posts if you'd like all of your points to be addressed. Ever heard of point-by-point debate? Good grief.

10/26/13 9:23 am

...and I assure you, I don't care what the study says. You cannot begin to imagine how much I don't care. It is NOT the government's place to tell a company that they need to provide a low-skill/no-skill worker with what you consider a livable wage.

10/26/13 9:23 am

Ever head of "usual arguments" like "wanna pay 40 bucks for our burger" i addressed it in my post, youve yet to make a couter argument. I know what point by point debate is but the 5 retarded points that get thrown out in every argument should be

10/26/13 9:25 am

...and to your food stamp "point", I'm equally adamant that government was NOT designed to be and cannot function as a charity. ...the number of people on food stamps is embarrassing. It shouldn't be that easy. It is riddled with fraud and abuse.

10/26/13 9:25 am

Shoild be sorted out first, the obvious reply to "why not pay 12$" is "then oay more for everythig elsw lol" all the rest were my crazy policy suggestions left of the dems, u wondered wht there was to the left of em, but right of socialism

10/26/13 9:36 am

I dint care whether tou think people should get enough if the money THEY earned by maintaining a profitable company to feed themselves and have a roof over their heads, but if his good fraction of workers has no money to spend in the economy

10/26/13 9:37 am

If these people have no mony to spend in the economy(consumer confidence, a cornerstone of a healthy economy) how do you expect this country ti run well?

10/26/13 9:42 am

I mean ever hear of Ford in school? Sold affordable cars and payed his workers a reasonable wage. Consumer confidence was up, thy could even buy the cars they made which further stimulated the economy, and it did great for the country

10/26/13 9:43 am

Why is it governments responsibility to make sure they get $12 an hour? If they want $12 an hour, get a job that pays $12 an hour! Can't? Then your not worth $12 an hour! Sorry. But the minimum wage will ALWAYS BE THE MINIMUM WAGE!

10/26/13 9:46 am

We may have had this discussion before hut yes, the minimum wage will be THE MINIMUM and at a MINIMUm people should be able to eat and have a home, a LOT of people work minimum wage TOO many for that entire group of people to be unable to even eat

10/26/13 9:46 am

"Ever heard of Ford in school"
...lose the condescension.

Ever heard of Ford 2013? Unions demanded crazy wages and retirement plans and now Detroit is basically a 3rd world country...hate to tell you, but Detroit was a Mecca of thought like yours.

10/26/13 9:48 am

You fail to understand basic economics. If you move people to $12 an hour who have zero marketable skills, those that currently make $12 an hour are worth more. Wages across industry must rise, lowering profit margin, cause price increases. History.

10/26/13 9:49 am

And im sure weve had this discussion before because ive heard that exact point here before but since 1969 the minimum wage has been dropping steadily, if the minimum wage today was equal to tht of 69 its be 28$, nobodies asking for tht.

10/26/13 9:50 am

What you're suggesting is a recipe for sending even MORE jobs over seas. I realize in your socialist utopia the businesses would just take the hit for what you consider to be the "greater good", but back here in reality.......

10/26/13 9:52 am

Must have been somebody else. I don't think I've ever had this convo on SOH.

10/26/13 9:55 am

Its been shown over and over again that paying your workeds is good for the economy, to say anything else is crazy, but most companies have jobs HERE that they NEED to get done, either it happens or it doesnt, theyre not gunna stop hiring

10/26/13 9:58 am

Doesnt surprise me haha, but i heard that same "40$ burger" argument before, thought it was literally the same argument ober again but i musta been wrong

10/26/13 10:02 am

I understand that all well, the minimum wage doesnt NEED to be 30% if the average wage as it is today, aice 1969 ot started steadily decreasing from 50% the average rate, our economy has only been getting closer to a new depression since then

10/26/13 10:03 am

It's good when workers make more IF the economy is booming and the market dictates higher wages. But higher wages is a market response, not a causation of economic health. What your suggesting would be catastrophic in an anemic economy like ours.

10/26/13 10:07 am

The "forgotten depression" of 1920 is a great illustration of my point. The government backed out of business to let the market do it's thing - instead of embarking on these Keynesian missions of artificial stimulation. It worked. Really well.

10/26/13 10:07 am

Idk where i got the 28 number lol, i just checked tht bc it seemed a bit high lol, mixing up my numbers in 1968 the 1.60 equated to 10.70 today, thatd be reasonable

10/26/13 10:10 am

I kinda thought that was off, but I didn't bother because I'd rather argue the premise than the nit-picky details. I get your points, but forcing market movement never turns out well. We want the same thing...a healthy, thriving economy.

10/26/13 10:12 am

...and well intentioned as a $12 federal minimum wage would be, it would ultimately cost U.S. jobs, ramp up inflation, increase production costs, and deal further damage to an already fragile economy.

10/26/13 1:34 pm

Agree to disagree haha, i think on an economy that is 70% consumer driven the consumer confidence afforded by tht money being in the economy(this has been shown time and time again) is what we need to fix it.

Could be wrong, hope i live to see 4sure

MrWolfe Nashville
10/25/13 2:19 pm

The only way to fly. No herds.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/25/13 2:05 pm

I think this'll be a better fishin' hole.

whitepuppy Happy Birthday
10/25/13 2:02 pm

Guys its not that hard if you are of that party press yes, if you aren't press no...

ScrewU Gone
10/25/13 2:32 pm

Woof!

rons screw politicians
10/25/13 2:01 pm

Yes, gives you some latitude to favor issues without a party view.

jimiscott Survivor
10/25/13 1:56 pm

I like being independent. I get to see the hypocrisy on both sides. :)

rcgrant south carolina
10/25/13 1:56 pm

I found that I disagree with both major parties more every day

Vincere Seattle
10/25/13 1:53 pm

Not sure why so many Libertarians are voting yes. Being a third party member isn't the same as being an Independent.

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/25/13 2:07 pm

I think they're confusing it with The Independence Party... Teajahdists the baggers don't even want around...

Br@ndon Your Soul
10/25/13 1:45 pm

Independent thinkers are the best! Screw the majority! >:D

ScrewU Gone
10/25/13 3:08 pm

We, uh... ARE the majority.

EarlyBird Portland
10/25/13 1:41 pm

Yes, I'm an independent. I think of it as homeless. I don't fit in with the dems and I don't fit in with the Repubs.

TiltonAllStarz Outside Ur Comfort Zone
10/25/13 3:37 pm

Yet some have the nerve to call us "wishy washy" or describe us as "not being able to make up our minds", I prefer to say we are the only same people left, where compromise isn't foul language.

ChubbyWombat The Shire
10/25/13 1:37 pm

Being an independent is like watching the gladiators fight. Everyone's killing each other and we're just sitting back in our chairs and laughing.

inge MIA
10/25/13 1:41 pm

I feel like crying most of the time :/

innate1 Georgia
10/25/13 1:43 pm

Except they're fighting in your house destroying all kinds of stuff.

ChubbyWombat The Shire
10/25/13 1:43 pm

For the stadium once it's covered in blood.

ladyniner81 no hope for humanity
10/25/13 5:31 pm

That is an excellent explanation...I'll have to use that sometime LMAO

darthezu Philly
10/26/13 2:48 pm

But also crying alittle inside because all we can do is watch and wait.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
10/25/13 1:18 pm

Registered independent with leanings towards both the libertarian and green party.

indygirl Oregon
10/25/13 2:07 pm

Green party is pretty great.

mac007 Mars
10/25/13 1:16 pm

I'm independent but tend to follow the Klingon/Vulcan party line.

Happy Hong Kong
10/25/13 1:14 pm

It seems like this question is confusing a few. :-\

wetheslaves Live each moment fully
10/25/13 1:09 pm

I don't care what party you belong to. Just show me fair, balanced and effective results. Words don't count.

TomM
10/25/13 1:06 pm

One democrat said yes. You should check your profile setting.

MJSeals J.D.
10/25/13 1:04 pm

Republican FTW

SFLiberal
10/25/13 1:12 pm

Democrats FTW!

MJSeals J.D.
10/25/13 1:13 pm

Scotty you love Republicans you know it

ScottyDoesNo Stand back and stand by
10/25/13 1:19 pm

Republicans are idiots. Bush, McCain, Romney, what were you people thinking?!

MJSeals J.D.
10/25/13 1:19 pm

At least we ARE thinking

MJSeals J.D.
10/25/13 1:20 pm

Look up Sean Duffy WI-R he's an awesome republican!

10/25/13 4:43 pm

MJ: republicans are 98% democrats. Look at Romney's voting record. He's basically the same guy as Obama. The reason i bring it up is because I read you posts and always agree with you...but your party doesn't. Come to the dark side. :-)