JustBob October 25th, 2013 5:03pm

Army guy wants to grow his hair out, his unit denies the request and forbids him. Is this discrimination?

ksterk16 Oregon
10/27/13 11:48 am

Military has a dress code... So no.

ksterk16 Oregon
10/27/13 11:49 am

I'm sure they would deny anyone, so it is not discrimination against him

ScrewU Gone
10/27/13 11:44 am

Fuck that guy. He's the same one whose room didn't pass inspection and we all lost Saturday Libo. Time for a blanket party.

not_even Boston, MA
10/26/13 1:30 pm

The hair issue is based on lice, not gender.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/25/13 5:16 pm

It depends on whether their is a religious reason

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/26/13 6:02 am

You mean according to regs in place, or that's how it should be?

Haplo2
10/25/13 4:59 pm

Just like with the other poll, haircut rules should be the same for males and females. Those regs are only about appearance so shouldn't they be "uniform"?

WillametteKevin Mossopolis
10/25/13 12:45 pm

That is a condition of enlistment. He signed up for it.

MassAsks Boston
10/25/13 12:17 pm

He willingly joined the army. My job has uniform guidelines too, if I don't like them I can choose a different career. Our military has to be strict, it's called uniformed service for a reason.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/25/13 12:23 pm

I'm with you on the uniform part, all of them should have short hair

TRJake Pendragon
10/25/13 11:19 am

Wouldn't having long hair would be a safety hazard in a place like the military?

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/25/13 12:21 pm

They already do allow long hair for soldiers, gotta keep it up, neat appearance an such

wookiecookie
10/26/13 2:31 am

You mean for the females and special ops guys. No average joe is just 'allowed' to grow his hair out.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/26/13 5:55 am

Well yea, the regulations are not uniform, and in order to pass out the demerit, one must take into account factors such as gender before applying the law.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/26/13 5:58 am

And apparently, it's not discrimination if the rules are different for non-arbitrary conditions such as one gender requires to look pretty

MrsLizT South Louisiana
10/25/13 11:04 am

Guy joined the Army. The Army has a lot of rules to follow - did he not expect this?!?
A LOT of jobs have dress codes - his does. Big deal.

pollfreak
10/25/13 10:55 am

I think it's a dumb rule but not discrimination.

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
10/25/13 10:45 am

From the time they takes the oath, till they are given they're discharge.. They are government property, have to follow government rule

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/25/13 10:43 am

Probably, but the irrational standards have been in place for a long time, and the military tends to be obsessive about their "traditions". The more irrational the tradition, the more obsessively they cling to it.

rons screw politicians
10/25/13 10:30 am

They look alike they walk alike sometimes they even talk alike! What a crazy pair!

violence Pretty hate machine
10/25/13 10:11 am

The beau did this while he was in the AF. They quite disliked it. Granted, he didn't ask permission, he just stopped cutting his hair. It was, admittedly, kind of a, "Fck you."

violence Pretty hate machine
10/25/13 10:15 am

It was really funny to see people lose their sh!t because, "Your hair is touching you ears!" Tell me that doesn't sound just like something a whiny five year old would say. "Mom! His hair is touching his ears!"

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/25/13 10:21 am

It sure would be harder for him to tell his guys to get a haircut

violence Pretty hate machine
10/25/13 10:24 am

He never did. He was probably the most indifferent, ambivalent person in the AF by that point.

TomM
10/25/13 10:08 am

No he has taken a job and must accept the requirements.

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/25/13 10:07 am

Same answer AR 670-1 outlines the standards. If he goes beyond standards it's not considered discrimination to enforce the standards. Standards for men are also on page 4 of the same regulation.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/25/13 10:15 am

I know, just seeing if their is a difference, the females are not allowed to by regs to get a buzz cut,

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/25/13 10:22 am

Not the way it reads to me Bob - says, females will ensure their hair is neatly groomed, that the length and bulk of the hair are not excessive, and that the hair does not present a ragged, unkempt, or extreme appearance. Likewise, trendy styles that

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/25/13 10:27 am

result in shaved portions of the scalp (other than neckline) or designs cut into the hair are prohibited. Females may wear braids and cornrows as long as the braided style is conservative, the braids and cornrows fit snugly on the head, and any hair

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/25/13 10:32 am

holding devices comply with the standards in 1-8a(3)(d) below. Anyway it goes on and on in detail. I'm thinking she will have problems under the "extreme" characterization. In any case she needs to make her case using the reg. Just wanting too or

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/25/13 10:34 am

believing you've got a right holds no sway in the army. There are even paragraphs about which devices women can wear in their hair very strict. Still one never knows until one tries, right lol.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/25/13 10:42 am

The part the commander can site is trendy styles resulting in shaved portions, or prior to, leaders have authority to determine what is what constitute eccentric hairstyles

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/25/13 10:43 am

Finally Bob in reading the sections men cannot grow their hair long; they can't have cornrows; they can't have patterns cut in their hair. They can have part cut in depending on hair texture - but part must be straight. "Hair that is closely clipped

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/25/13 10:46 am

or shaved to the scalp is authorized." I note that it does not say this for women. It also gives responsibility, authority, and judgement to enforce the guidelines. I'd say a woman has little or no chance getting that authorized. But admit not sure