DrCarpenter October 25th, 2013 4:03pm

Is it inappropriate for teachers to be friends with their current students on Facebook?

MissN The Experiment
10/25/13 6:58 pm

Not if it's a professional profile to stay informed about class.

KudosToYou California
10/25/13 6:47 pm

I don't think so, but I'm looking it as an easy way to contact the teacher, and Facebook friends doesn't mean you actually are friends. Not sure how it works since I don't but if you could further categorize your friends so the students aren't...

KudosToYou California
10/25/13 6:49 pm

...exposed to all the inner workings of the teachers Facebook life, that would be smart.
All in all I'm neutral on the subject.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
10/25/13 4:06 pm

I think it depends. If it's a personal Facebook for personal reasons, yes inappropriate. But if it's a special account for something like homework help then that's fine I think with this generation.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/25/13 3:34 pm

No, absolutely not. Teachers are NOT friends of the students. Ever. They can be friendly mentors, but that line should not be crossed. It creates too many issues with favoritism and classroom discipline. My classroom is politically and...

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/25/13 3:36 pm

...religiously neutral. Letting students into my private life would jeopardize that neutrality and possibly make some students feel as if they couldn't speak out or develop their own beliefs and thoughts. Or even begin to parrot my beliefs...

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/25/13 3:37 pm

...hoping to get a grade.

No. Boundaries need to be maintained.

citethesource Socialist and Atheist
10/25/13 4:25 pm

Currently 8th. But I work at a camp with rising 11th grade students and I won't accept a request until they are staff, even in the much more relaxed environment of camp.

icytoes the tepid north
10/25/13 12:48 pm

I think possibly they should have a "teacher" profile and a "personal" profile to avoid any potential problems but other than that, I think it's fine.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/25/13 10:46 am

I don't think so... I was friends with a couple, but they always made it very clear that until I graduated - no personal things could be discussed. I understood why.

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
10/25/13 9:40 am

It seems really weird to me, almost as bad as being friends with your boss. I think it's probably best to desperate those relationships.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/25/13 9:36 am

No, but to be clear, the word "friends" as used on FaceBook has nothing to do with being actual friends.

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
10/25/13 9:42 am

That's a good point, but I doubt both parties would be conscientious enough to properly filter their postings so the online connection remained appropriate. It's probably safer to just avoid the connection altogether.

HayleyS looking up.
10/25/13 9:20 am

I went to a private school. When I was a freshman, there was no rule about this.
Everyone was friends with the teachers on fb. My English teacher would post reminders and answer questions about class there.

The next year a rule was put in place.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
10/25/13 9:11 am

Yes it is. Why would an adult want to be friends with children anyway?

TRJake Pendragon
10/25/13 9:09 am

Inappropriate? No. Stupid? Completely. Whoever would do that is an idiot

HayleyS looking up.
10/25/13 9:22 am

Lol how does that make them an idiot?

TRJake Pendragon
10/25/13 9:25 am

I'm talking from a student's perspective, I doubt that a student would want their teachers to know what they're doing, especially because people are so careless about what they post.

HayleyS looking up.
10/25/13 9:28 am

When I was friends with my teachers as a freshman, I literally had nothing to hide. I actually liked that my teachers had the opportunity to get to know me a little better.
If the school hadn't changed the rules. I would've continued to enjoy it

TRJake Pendragon
10/25/13 9:35 am

That's good. I know that there's certain students (I'm sure you know what I mean) that wouldn't watch what they're posting and the teacher/school would make a big fuss over it unfortunately

HayleyS looking up.
10/25/13 9:37 am

Yeah I agree, there are some students like that.

CorblaKhan Team Skynet
10/25/13 9:06 am

And unwise, for students. Do you really want your teachers knowing when you've been partying, as you try to make your case for being sick?