DerekWills October 24th, 2013 8:11pm

I heard on the radio today that a new poll suggests that 32% of Americans believe that America isn't fair. How do you think those 32% define fair?

jvc1133 61535
10/25/13 1:12 pm

Go where you think it is fair

Doopy Remedial Americanism
10/25/13 8:33 am

Part of my definition of fair is that it points to a valueless concept. America is not fair; nothing is, and that's not a problem.

10/24/13 2:11 pm

I don't think America is fair, primarily because hard work and long-term thinking are no longer valued here. Instead, short-term marginal results and cronyism are the name of the success game. Honest folks barely have a chance.

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/24/13 2:14 pm

Sure they do. Provide an honest product or service someone wants to buy. Everyone wants an honest plumber , electrician, mechanic, salesperson, etc.

10/24/13 2:16 pm

Think, I can't believe you didn't even take the opportunity to bring up regulatory capture and turn it into an argument about why regulation is inherently bad. Man, I gotta make both sides' arguments now? Try starting a business. The game is rigged

10/24/13 2:17 pm

to favor the big players who are already there. Local governments are complicit with larger businesses in this. Seriously, just take a look at the rules a lone business person has to follow. They aren't confusing and obnoxious by accident.

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/24/13 2:19 pm

No doubt. The liberals have made dealing with the government almost impossible so you have to work twice as hard so they can take most your profit but it can still be done.

10/24/13 2:20 pm

THERE you go. THAT'S how you turn another person's argument around to support your own. You're learning fast, grasshopper ;)

10/24/13 2:27 pm

youtu.be/Fs9P44voNfU

Let's make sure that we blame the right people. That's the most important thing here. How can we solve problems if we don't hate each other enough first?

10/24/13 2:42 pm

How is the game rigged Beth? If the game was rigged, then Dr. Ben Carson would still be in the ghettos of Detroit and Bill Gates would still be working out of his parent's garage... So how is it rigged?

10/24/13 3:04 pm

I'm not familiar with Ben Carson, and one caveat is that America today is not remotely America 30-40 years ago. Regardless, I have examples above. Regulatory capture is a serious concern. Credit squeeze is another huge barrier. By "rigged" I don't

10/24/13 3:05 pm

mean to suggest it is IMPOSSIBLE to get ahead - but it's more difficult than it would be if everyone truly had to play by the same rules. Think of it like a casino. It's POSSIBLE to beat the House, but god help you if they catch you counting cards.

10/24/13 3:09 pm

Well that's an interesting perspective, but I don't believe that for a second. Time and time again (from 30 years ago to today) people born in poverty work hard, fail, learn from the failure, and try again and eventually they may make it. Life...

10/24/13 3:11 pm

doesnt guarantee outcomes and that is something that everyone needs to understand. The ONLY thing that makes it harder is that government intervention in creating or running a small business has skyrocketed over the last 30 years. Especially with...

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/24/13 3:12 pm

Lucky for all of us people didn't think that way otherwise humanity would have never progressed and we would still be in the Stone Age.

10/24/13 3:13 pm

things like Obamacare causes someone working their ass off to take 10 steps back in order to try and survive. What needs to happen to make more people more apt to being successful is not a taxpayer funded safety net to prevent failure, it is to...

10/24/13 3:13 pm

simply allow anyone with an idea to thrive without crippling their abilities with high corporate taxes and loads of bureaucracy bogging down the system.

10/24/13 3:14 pm

Yeah, but come on. People win the lotto, too. Anecdotal rags to riches stories don't paint an entire economic picture. I'll also acknowledge that this is party premised on some very troubling trends that America did a better job than most of heading

10/24/13 3:14 pm

off for a long time. Unfortunately, I see us slipping in that regard.

10/24/13 3:16 pm

think, we've had this conversation before and last time it ended in you insulting me for having the bad luck to be laid off and struggling to build my own business in a bad economy. I'm not in the mood to be insulted again today.

10/24/13 3:39 pm

I don't recall ever insulting you for being laid off. That isn't in my character and if that did indeed happen, I apologize. Trying to start your own business is no easy challenge and I commend you for doing so. And this conversation doesn't have...

10/24/13 3:40 pm

to happen this very second, but I would like it to happen. I promise I am very civil.

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/24/13 3:48 pm

Bethany. Most lottery winners end up losing it all so that is not a good example. If I remember correctly you were chastising businesses for not doing enough and I implied you should not judge them unless you do what you were saying they should do.

10/24/13 4:05 pm

Sorry, DAuflick, that comment was addressed to think4yourself. I had a conversation with him a little while ago in which I expressed opinions similar to those expressed here and he suggested, basically, that I simply hadn't worked hard enough. I have

10/24/13 4:07 pm

MANY imperfections, but laziness is not one of them. You don't become a member of the California bar at 24 by being lazy.

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/24/13 4:16 pm

I would never criticize someone for starting or running a business. Entrepreneurs are going to save this country. I would criticize someone for criticizing businesses for not doing enough when I know how difficult it is to run one.

10/24/13 4:48 pm

Perhaps we both misunderstood each other then.

10/24/13 5:54 pm

Well look at that. We're all friends and not politically the same. Let's go out for a beer. I'll buy the first round! :-)

10/24/13 6:22 pm

The only thing that would make this better is..... The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo!

10/24/13 6:30 pm

Does livestock include piglets? Because I wanna play with a piglet.

10/24/13 6:37 pm

Pigs, cattle, horses, chickens.... It's a great time! If you are trying to take a vacation, I highly recommend it! They sell out Reliant Stadium (where the Texans play football), and at the end of every night (lasts 3 weeks), there's a big name...

10/24/13 6:38 pm

Concert. They also have Reliant Center filled with everything from homemade furniture to cattle that you can buy. They even have areas that will teach you to milk a cow or whatever. And of course, the carnival is outside. www.rodeohouston.com

10/24/13 6:43 pm

Hehehe - I have actually milked cows before believe it or not. I didn't grow up in the city ;)

10/24/13 6:46 pm

Well if the only reason you're going is to milk a cow, you should probably seek mental help. ;-)

10/24/13 6:48 pm

Don't be silly. I'm going to cuddle an adorable little piglet and dress it up in tiny ridiculous piglet clothes!

10/24/13 6:52 pm

God, you and my girlfriend would get along soooooo well.... Y'all are even aligned politically. Why do y'all insist on dressing up animals? They aren't people!

10/24/13 7:36 pm

Awww, come on. You know there's a part of you deep down that thinks it's irresistibly cute. Those giant eyes and the silly looking head and the itty-bitty feet? You have a heart. Don't tell me that no part of you sees how ridiculously adorable it is.

10/24/13 7:38 pm

The smart animals (I.e. Pitbulls) hate it. The dumb ones (I.e. Pugs) are too stupid to know what's going on. I know pigs are intelligent, but they can't really show emotion. I'm pretty sure they hate it.

10/24/13 8:36 pm

Firstly, pit bulls do too love it. You can tell from the way they roll their eyes. Secondly, piglets SMILE. DO NOT DENY IT. They love looking pretty, especially what with all the unfair stereotypes about pigs being ugly. THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL.

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/24/13 1:50 pm

Some think treating people equal is fair others think making people equal is fair.

MJSeals J.D.
10/24/13 1:23 pm

Some today said Booker at Washington favored white privilege

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
10/24/13 1:23 pm

fairness through I liberals eyes is white people being slaves. apparently that's the only way we will ever be able to make up our ancestors atrocities.

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/24/13 1:50 pm

Except my ancestors fought to free them.

goalie31 OrthodoxCatholicChristian
10/24/13 1:57 pm

same here. NORTH FTW. So yeah. quit bitching at us liberals thanks :)

10/24/13 2:10 pm

Huh. So you're saying that anyone who doesn't support slavery is therefore not a liberal? In other words, you agree that there are barely any liberals in the US?

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/24/13 2:12 pm

The liberals have enslaved the blacks to the ghettos.

10/24/13 2:18 pm

Nice. You using that line at the upcoming young republicans poetry slam?

think4yourself Not a safe space
10/24/13 2:21 pm

“History is not going to be kind to liberals. With their mindless programs, they've managed to do to Black Americans what slavery, Reconstruction, and rank racism found impossible: destroy their family and work ethic.”
Walter E Williams

10/24/13 2:28 pm

See my comment above. Have fun playing your label game.

suppressedID That is my secret Cap
10/24/13 2:48 pm

It's official: I have a crush on Bethany!

Cole12 ...
10/24/13 1:21 pm

They're a bunch of jealous idiots. Every single person in America has the opportunity to make something of themselves - most, sadly, choose not to.

JaidOC Macon, GA
10/24/13 1:17 pm

They think equality means fairness when it doesn't.

MadCow True GOP