rightway101 October 24th, 2013 1:39am

Would the Founding Fathers approve the widespread use of religious symbols in government? (Ex: in God we Trust, so help me God, under God, etc)

evoecon nearest binary system
10/24/13 4:35 am

Better we use "symbols" rather than "symbol". Founded Freedom from Symbol.

DunkinFrunk Austin area, Texas
10/24/13 4:11 am

Yeah they probably would approve, but they also approved of slavery. It was a different time then.

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
10/23/13 11:25 pm

Read Jefferson's Letter to the Danbury Baptists. He explains that the first amendment creates a "wall of separation between Church and State" (that's where we got the concept of Sep. of C & S. And he explains that it's a ONE WAY WALL to protect the

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
10/23/13 11:30 pm

Church from State interference, NOT VICE VERSA. The concept stood unchallenged until the early 20th century, when a Supreme Court Justice took the phrase but perverted its meaning by 180 degrees, implying that the Church could not intrude into

TomLaney1 Jesus is Lord
10/23/13 11:33 pm

State events and affairs. This is a blatantly unconstitutional distortion of the intent of the first amendment, as I have shown. It's time to stand up against this myth.

encoretx
10/24/13 6:21 am

Amen!!!!!

elianastar Gab.ai FreeSpeech
10/23/13 8:30 pm

I don't follow the current trend of buying what current politics tells me FFs said, did, or thought. I read, for myself, what they *actually* said & did. Therefore I have no doubt they'd have no problem w/any of those things.

DailyAtheist Religious polls
10/23/13 7:51 pm

Even if they approve, does it mean that it is right for our modern world? No.

evoecon nearest binary system
10/24/13 4:41 am

Shouldn't government support society? Reflect society?

droo Santa Barbara
10/23/13 6:44 pm

"..that they are endowed by their Creator..." in the Declaration of Independence seems to suggest they weren't completely for abolishing theological allusions and judeo-christian references in government, and I know that's not a strong point but I just don't think it would have mattered much to them

droo Santa Barbara
10/23/13 6:47 pm

Too often we glorify the founding fathers as champions of liberty and philosophical gods but they were all just normal politicians trying to compromise for their own state's interest and create a better system than was found under the Articles of Confederation. A lot of them did and would approve

droo Santa Barbara
10/23/13 6:48 pm

of many things we assume they wouldn't. Examples: slavery, a republic ruled by the wealthy property owners, oppression of women, child labor, etc. etc.

skinner Wisconsin