rebelfury76 October 22nd, 2013 3:34am

Zero tolerance policies for knives at schools does more harm than good.

innate1 Georgia
10/22/13 11:38 am

I carry my knife to school every day. I'd carry a firearm if I wouldn't get arrested and demonized. Train students to use and take down threats. Much more effective than a fun free zone.

cowboy Here and There
10/22/13 8:23 am

Government re-education centers are afraid of loaded fingers, for crying out loud.

pietsch Another Adoring Fan
10/22/13 6:39 am

Zero tolerance policies are just useful for lazy self-righteous administrators.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/22/13 3:19 am

Agree completely. It teaches them to harbor irrational fears.

JaidOC Macon, GA
10/22/13 3:07 am

A knife isn't really the best self-defense tool. I'd agree if you replaced "knife" with "gun".

BeachSt Coastal Virginia
10/21/13 9:08 pm

Zero tolerance doesn't work for anything other than helping anti-discrimination policies, doesn't even work sometimes in that instance. But knives are not allowed in school, period. Forgot in a bag, however, is a fine reason. I like case by case.

10/21/13 9:12 pm

Case by case is all I'm advocating for

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
10/21/13 8:46 pm

Way too far. My third grade teacher found a plastic knife (the disposable utensil kind) in a kid's desk and was seriously considering getting him in trouble for it. Luckily common sense won over and she didn't do anything about it.

10/21/13 8:48 pm

People are conditioned to be afraid. They're programmed to react a certain way.

"REPORT EVERYTHING!"

People seek approval and I honestly think that's why they lose sight of common sense. They want to be the one who stopped columbine.

10/21/13 8:49 pm

These bureaucrats get to feel important. They get to wield power. It has nothing to do with safety, that much is clear.

They are programmed to react a certain way and they do.

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
10/21/13 8:51 pm

Completely agree. We aren't even allowed to bring knives to cut cake at school. They have a couple there that they use. It's such a bad policy.

10/21/13 8:42 pm

I don't care for zero tolerance, but I wouldn't go that far. I think keeping knives out of school is really important. Students need to feel safe in school. However, I do think the occasional story about the Boy Scout being suspended because of his

10/21/13 8:43 pm

Mess kit knife is ridiculous

10/21/13 8:45 pm

That's EXACTLY what inspired this question.

So, as I said, does more harm than good.

10/21/13 8:46 pm

But do you think there should be knives in school?

10/21/13 8:47 pm

Your policies did this to a student wanting to join the Air Force.

He had a fish filet knife in his tackle box in his car.

dailycaller.com/2013/10/02/felony-weapons-charge-for-student-who-brought-fishing-supplies-to-school/

magnum
10/21/13 8:42 pm

Disarming the populace starts with brainwashing the children.

Skarface Banned
10/21/13 8:41 pm

Zero tolerance policies for anything are usually bad. In schools today you can get in trouble for making finger guns or bringing a butter knife in, and it's bullsh*t.

magnum
10/21/13 8:47 pm

I'm sorry to see that. You need to go to the Midwest where everyone carries a knife because it is a useful tool. Demonizing things that can cause damage is part of why the gun debate is so messed up.

10/21/13 8:49 pm

Welcome to my part of California - everyone carries a knife here to. I still don't think they are safe in school

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
10/21/13 8:49 pm

It's especially bad in CA I think. No one (from what I've seen) carries a gun or knife. I tell people I'm going to buy a gun when I'm older and they look at me like I've got three heads.

10/21/13 8:52 pm

Intent is the issue Shelly, not presence of an inanimate object. Your policies are powerless.

I know you're too young to remember this Shelly but they used to teach rifle training in high school.

Where were the school shootings?

10/21/13 8:53 pm

Actually Puppy - in my part of Calufornia everyone does - My husband carries a Leatherman Tool which has a couple of knife blades. Most people have guns too. The community college where I work teaches gun smithing

10/21/13 8:56 pm

Today the school shooting was an hour and fifteen minutes away from me so maybe I'm a little more on edge than normal - but just like we can't take the guns out of society - we can't "go back" to a time when school violence didn't exist.

10/21/13 8:57 pm

Back it up SF, not that I'm surprised

10/21/13 8:57 pm

My point is Shelly that the objects aren't the issue

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
10/21/13 8:57 pm

That's good that people are armed near you, Shelly. It's not like that at all here.

And Rebel, we have an air rifle team at our school as part of ROTC. I'm probably gonna join it next year if I have time.

10/21/13 9:00 pm

Rebel - I understand what you are saying, but the object can be used for good or evil. What makes you think it would be used for evil? Today proves student have issues and want to hurt people

10/21/13 9:02 pm

And the policies that hurt good intentioned people that never meant to hurt anyone do what to actively prevent those with bad intentions?

10/21/13 9:03 pm

In other words, are your words on paper proactive or reactive?

SFLiberal
10/21/13 9:03 pm

They help discourage students from stabbing each other.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
10/21/13 9:05 pm

@Shelly, why do you assume the object will be used for evil?

10/21/13 9:06 pm

That's absurd SF and ignores all logic

10/21/13 9:07 pm

I guess I don't think they should be zero tolerance (I actually don't believe in zero tolerance anything) but I do believe there should be a policy banning knives which could be interpreted by a reasonable person in the case of mess kits and fish

SFLiberal
10/21/13 9:10 pm

Rebel, why would a student need to bring a knife to school?

10/21/13 9:12 pm

Pinky - today what makes me think that is a middle school child toon a gun to school and killed a teacher by shooting him point blank in the chest before turning the gun on himself just an hour and 15 mins from my home. Last week a child who had

10/21/13 9:12 pm

SF, you ever forget anything?

10/21/13 9:12 pm

And Shelly, I agree, that's all I'm advocating for.

10/21/13 9:14 pm

Been being bullied threaten students through a social media outlet that he was going to take a gun to school 11 miles from my child development center. About five years ago now, a student, with mental illness issues had a credible plan to shoot

PuppyLvr In love with Listgarten
10/21/13 9:14 pm

@SF
To cut a cake or other food.
For a project that involves cutting things such as cardboard.
To use after school.

Or... They just forgot to take it out of their bag.

10/21/13 9:15 pm

On my campus. He lived in the dorms - just 500 yards from my center - and had access to guns. Violence in schools exists. There is no denying it. We have to accept it and protect the children

SFLiberal
10/21/13 9:18 pm

It's dangerous and sketchy to carry a knife, gun, or any weapon in that nature.

10/21/13 9:18 pm

"The children!!!!!"

Then put your energy into actually doing that.

Why didn't that school where the teacher died have a policy against firearms?

10/21/13 9:21 pm

I know this will boil your blood but I carry a .45 and five magazines on a daily basis. Have for the past five years.

Weird that I've never had the urge to slaughter anyone.

SFLiberal
10/21/13 9:27 pm

That actually makes me feel really uncomfortable.

10/21/13 9:31 pm

Then you are mentally ill

magnum
10/21/13 10:20 pm

Don't take offense to him rebel. He's a San Francisco liberal. They are afraid of everything here and want the government to protect them.

10/21/13 10:36 pm

I have a kimber ultra carry.

And he's no liberal. He's a big government statist.

magnum
10/21/13 11:02 pm

Kimber is a nice weapon. I am more partial to the Springfield armory myself though lately.

10/21/13 11:11 pm

It's all preference. I believe kimber's quality is highest in the industry.

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
10/22/13 8:04 am

@Shelly, No one disagrees that we need to keep our kids safe. But what keeps them more safe: A teacher trying to take a gun away and getting killed, or a cop moving his desk into the elementary school and *gasp* having his gun with him?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
10/22/13 8:05 am

The simple fact is, bad people with weapons are popping up more frequently in schools despite any efforts to keep weapons out.
Instead of ignoring this and watching more kids get killed, why not put more good guys with weapons in schools instead?

pinkyusuck The Carribean. I wish.
10/22/13 8:06 am

Police, armed staff, armed security...We can argue about WHO should be armed in school, but I don't think there's any rational argument against having more armed good guys in places that are likely targets (like schools).

10/22/13 8:32 am

Pinky - I'm not necessarily against having police in schools - I actually hunk it's a good idea in high schools - I am against arming teachers and janitors and the like simply because it is too easy to get distracted when you have other duties

10/22/13 8:35 am

And mislay your gun (like a janitor did in the upper Midwest and luckily a student turned it in) or if not trained properly to they panic a raging student could take the gun away from them