Arya8 October 21st, 2013 12:22pm

Students: how many hours a week (outside of class) do you spend reading, studying, and doing homework?

comppete Las Vegas
10/21/13 3:09 pm

In college, more than 20 hours. But it was usually within the 24 hours before a test. :-)

LilL44 Stuck In Suburbia
10/21/13 2:41 pm

5 or more a weekday and even more on weekends so def over 15. yay no social life!

keirstyn Indiana
10/21/13 9:03 am

I'm an undergrad in college. For the last few years and in high school I was able to get straight A's by doing minimal homework and studying. I'm one of the lucky few. But next year it will be different because I'll be taking higher level classes.

keirstyn Indiana
10/21/13 9:06 am

Right now I'm in accounting, economics, psych, a computer class, and a Greek mythology class. I guess I'm just very good a retaining information in class, and then good at distributing my studying

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/21/13 6:06 am

When I was completing my Masters I would take one 3 unit class every eight weeks and I would spend about 15 hours per week on that class - it was online

Arya8
10/21/13 7:36 am

I have that much in an undergrad class and we have to go to class 4 hours a week for 8 weeks, too. If I didn't have three other traditional classes it would be okay.

Octopus
10/21/13 6:06 am

I go to class 20 hours a week and spend about 40-60 hours outside class studying.

Octopus
10/21/13 7:53 am

It's my life. I look forward to moving beyond this phase of it though, haha. I'm so tired!

Arya8
10/21/13 9:31 am

I can relate too. I don't spend as many hours, but I only take 12 credit hours since I have a family and job to juggle too. I go nonstop 14-18 hours a day every day. It's exhausting.

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/21/13 5:57 am

Ugh... A thousand?
Probably around 50.

Arya8
10/21/13 7:35 am

A thousand sounds about right to me too.

HayleyS looking up.
10/21/13 5:53 am

My classes are really easy this semester.. I'm taking 15 hours. 2 is from a freshman seminar class and 1 is from chorale.
So for the other 12 hours, I pretty much mostly remember the material from listening in class and reviewing a bit at home.

HayleyS looking up.
10/21/13 5:54 am

I'm in history, psychology, and theatre. All three of those are mostly interesting to me.
And my math class is relatively easy. And I just realized that it is the last math I have to take... ☺️☺️☺️☺️

DrCarpenter Ann Arbor
10/21/13 5:32 am

I'm taking 16 credit hours and I usually have about 16 hours of work, but every fourth week that goes up to about 24 hours.

Arya8
10/21/13 5:38 am

See I'm taking 12 and have around 25 hours of work - most of which is one 3 hour course. Blah!

DrCarpenter Ann Arbor
10/21/13 5:41 am

That is pretty insane! What level course is it?

Arya8
10/21/13 5:49 am

It's just a 270 - stats. I graduate in December and I've had 450 level courses with less work. It's accelerated, 4 hours a week for 8 weeks, so I expected 1.5 to 2x the work of my normal classes, but we are covering 5 chapters a week!

DrCarpenter Ann Arbor
10/21/13 5:58 am

Gosh that sounds awful! I'm a freshman so my courses are all 100/200 level. Next semester I'm going to a big Uni and they told me all the gen ed classes I need are full so my only option is to take 300+ and I'm incredibly nervous about it!

Arya8
10/21/13 7:35 am

It is awful. I also have a 3 year old, a husband, a house to take care of, and a part time job. If I'm not around soon on here it's probably because I'm in a strait jacket! I wish I was kidding...

Good luck to you next year! :)

MJSeals Esq.
10/21/13 5:29 am

I'm a senior I do no work

Arya8
10/21/13 5:31 am

Ah yes, those were the days. I think I took 3 art classes my senior year. :)

Enjoy it and don't forget your study habits, because if you go to college...

MJSeals Esq.
10/21/13 5:37 am

Some classes I have HW like AP Stat and AP Gov.

Arya8
10/21/13 5:39 am

I see. :) my senior year I had honors English and that was my only real class. It was great. Ha

Arya8
10/21/13 5:24 am

I take 12 credit hours but one course is an accelerated 8 week course. She assigned around 15 hours worth of work over 5 chapters of material this week. I spend about 10-12 a week ttl on my other 3 courses, and I only actually read for my lit class.

Arya8
10/21/13 5:25 am

I'm curious if my workload is as absurd as it feels to me.

Arya8
10/21/13 5:23 am

I have no idea if students is a real thing for targeting purposes. If not, I apologize. Those who aren't students, answer for when you were? :)