JustBob October 21st, 2013 11:57am

Is a store, purposely inflating prices, in hopes the consumer won't notice, anything like stealing?

MisterE Conservistan
10/21/13 3:11 pm

A consumer should be smart enough to notice.

Happy Hong Kong
10/21/13 12:47 pm

Is my corner liquor store stealing because they charge more than Costco? I don't think so.

susanr Colorado
10/21/13 11:55 am

I don't see how it's like stealing at all. That doesn't mean I like it, though. But doesn't a store (meaning owners or managers) have a right to set prices however they want? How is it like stealing, if they tell you what the price is and you agree

susanr Colorado
10/21/13 11:56 am

to pay it? It would be stealing if they marked an item with one price and deliberately charged a higher price at the cash register.

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/21/13 9:41 am

The store can charge anything they want. It's not stealing unless they misrepresent what they're selling.

PeppyHare Do a barrel roll
10/21/13 7:58 am

You can go to Walmart and say they sell it cheaper at target by some reasonable amount they'll give it to you.

I just said target had ps3 controllers on sale for $45 bucks since the 4 is coming out and they gave me 10 off.

fixitlater My Life
10/21/13 7:23 am

No it is free trade. The consumer can choose not to purchase the product.

Squidboy Snarkapottamus
10/21/13 6:58 am

Common retail practice along with marking up to 'discount.' Try buying a mattress at 'list price.' With the internet, no retailer can sustain this business practice.

rons Thanks America
10/21/13 5:49 am

You can go to any store, pick up an item and ask if they would sell it to you cheaper. They can say yes or no! Like a car dealer. The ticket is suggested retail price!

rons Thanks America
10/21/13 5:19 am

Free market! But usually the manufacture will scold the store for such pactices.

rons Thanks America
10/21/13 5:53 am

Manufacturer provide a price to the retailer. If he bumps the price they may feel that they would lose sales and ask the store to stop.
The other side is price fixing by the manufacturer.

melmeltx funky town, texas
10/21/13 6:16 am

this is what we do.., we have set prices for our wholesale accounts so there's not a gouging/undercutting practice.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/21/13 6:50 am

Yours sounds like a pretty honest business

MrsLizT South Louisiana
10/21/13 5:07 am

If you notice and CHOOSE not to buy it, good for you.
If you do notice or don't and buy it anyway, good for the them.
You could shop somewhere else. It's America for Pete's sake!

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/21/13 5:14 am

We live in a society, where it's natural to take advantage of one another, to bet that another's ignorance will equal a higher profit for us. I agree, it is up to the business and consumer alike, to ensure they are not taken advantage of.