JustBob October 21st, 2013 4:54am

A store offers price matching and takes your word on the price of another store. Is guessing the price anything like stealing?

ladyniner81 I need chocolate
10/21/13 10:06 pm

if you show them the proof of the price it's not

Happy Hong Kong
10/21/13 1:11 pm

Not if you tell them that it's a guess. You're just negotiating.

icytoes the tepid north
10/21/13 7:25 am

Is it anything LIKE stealing? It could be, if you guess deliberately low. If you're giving your best educated guess, I'd say it's fine.

rons Thanks America
10/21/13 5:27 am

You should be prepared to prove it. But! If you say It was cheaper someplace else it's price negotiation!

mikeey1962 on SOH where else
10/21/13 5:21 am

Most price matching you have to have proof, they don't just take your word for it... An add, bill of sale.. Something like that.. If they just take your word it's on them...

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/21/13 5:24 am

Some do take your word for it, won't say where, but some do

Kay41 the Midwest
10/21/13 4:49 am

Not stealing if you are making your best educated guess.

thebob Medford Oregon
10/20/13 10:15 pm

The store has the responsibility for due diligence. Both parties are culpable.

10/20/13 10:14 pm

I run specialty retail stores. We call to verify price matches or will let customers show us digitally. But we know our prices & market prices of our product very well, so we know if someone is low balling vs just vague on what they remember.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/21/13 5:07 am

Do you think if a customer got one over on the store, it's the fault of the customer for for trying, or the store for not checking?

10/21/13 5:32 am

we actually don't get that crazy about it... it's much more beneficial to give the customer the benefit of the doubt & go with them - they'll be back again & they "tell a friend".

10/21/13 5:34 am

But I never put these things on my employees if a dishonest customer pulls one over on us. We watch for patterns, repeats, signs of dishonesty & address those. there is employee accountability if it becomes a bigger issue.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/21/13 5:36 am

And when you do price match, and the next guy in line buys the same product, do you decrease the price for him as well, or charge the original price? Sorry for the interrogation, but it's cool to have a store owner answer

10/21/13 5:50 am

I sell proprietary merch (our label/our store) but u can buy our label/product at about 20 other companies. So we have a pricing strategy to keep everyone on a level playing field. So it actually happens rarely.

10/21/13 5:52 am

Everything is the store is marked at same pricing for like items (this pant, shoe, etc is same price in every color) so the 1 customer after another doesn't really happen. Where it happens most is w/ sale items.

10/21/13 5:53 am

Someone says something is on sale at another store. So we verify but the $10 diff isn't a big deal to us. The wholesaler undercutting us on pricing is the big deal. So the customer gets it with no push back from us after we verify -

10/21/13 5:53 am

but we need to verify for the big picture, not bc of that $10 w/ that customer. we contact our wholesale mgrs & they get out accounts to remove sale or we apply sale & release prices for all the wholesale accounts.

10/21/13 5:56 am

We need our wholesalers to be just as successful as we are, but not at the expense of undercutting us.
I guess the point is, there's usually a much bigger picture going on than the couple $s at hand with that customer.

10/21/13 5:56 am

Certainly, not all retailers take that approach, but we really try to do what the customers want. And there's not many customers at all that do these things. it's so minor it's a non topic in my stores.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/21/13 6:04 am

We had a huge electronic store here that would check daily on the competitors price, and offer the lowest. The rest would offer the lowest to only the ones that should they were higher. I don't understand how it all works, but with price matching....

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/21/13 6:06 am

I do know, not every customer pays the same price, and it seems, at least with the big stores, they charge a higher price until they're caught, then continue charging the higher price till caught again

10/21/13 6:08 am

Well, Amazon changed the electronics business & that segment of retailers are struggling to figure out the sales strategy to combat amazon. they've become showrooms for Amazon, customers get the personal sales person, all questions answered & decide

10/21/13 6:10 am

Then you go home to your computer & find what you want at a much lower price. The retailer is paying for that sales person's training & salary to help you. And amazon gets to sell with out that payroll overhead. So it's a price game with those stores

10/21/13 6:11 am

At this point they're often selling at a loss (under cost even) to just move the product out of the store. $900 sold for a $1000 item is better than $0 sold & sitting on inventory that becomes outdated in technology almost as quick as it's delivered.

10/21/13 6:14 am

There are definitely retailers that over price from the beginning to show sale as a statement, but since the bubble in 2008 that's actually a lot less frequent.
But it's a free market- shoppers are smart tho, they know when to get the best deals.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/21/13 11:49 am

And how to as well

Zod Above Pugetropolis
10/20/13 10:08 pm

Not if you guess too high. If you intentionally understate the price to score a better deal, then yes, it's theft by fraud.

doctalk not all who wander r lost
10/20/13 10:15 pm

Too many peeps these days see business as the Enemy and feel cheating is one way to get their just deserts.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/21/13 4:42 am

Not so much as see as the enemy but opportunists. There was a price difference in the first place means that a company was trying to take advantage of a consumer not knowing what something was actually worth, so who's robbing who?

doctalk not all who wander r lost
10/21/13 4:47 am

Could be. Also could be diff in purchase price, overhead, or profit strategy. Nvr thought of it as robbing the customer.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/21/13 4:51 am

Most stores have the same overhead. The product is out there, store guesses the price too high, it's all good, customer guesses the price too low, it's all bad.

10/21/13 5:38 am

@jb
price difference don't mean the biz is taking advantage of customers. My product that I sell in my stores nets 68% margins. when I sell my product to other stores their margin is closer to 40%. Therefore they may charge a diff price.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/21/13 5:49 am

If a store offers price matching, an a customer proves a lower price, and the store sells the same product to someone else at the higher price, knowing that it should be lower, I guess it's just my opinion that in that case it sorta is

10/21/13 5:57 am

but what do you base "should be" lower on?

10/21/13 6:04 am

and most stores actually do not have the same overhead. there are so many factors involved in a retail P&L report that have major differences from one store to the next in the same city, much less company to company.

10/21/13 6:05 am

Pricing is a drilled down strategy to the penny in most cases based on about 50 diff cost points. In my segment, there's no "stick it to the customer". it's a collect every cent at market value to be able to produce benefits for employees & brand.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me
10/21/13 6:10 am

Don't get me wrong, I know not all stores gouge prices, and not saying yours does. But I believe some do, or I'd have no idea what price gouging meant

kermie gaytopia
10/20/13 10:05 pm

Sometimes if I'm buying something at the grocery store that doesn't have a price and they ask me I'll give my best guess but I may not remember. That's their own fault for not knowing and asking me if I'm wrong. Seems similar here.

GrandmaALiCE Rocky Mtns aerial view
10/20/13 10:05 pm

Not if you give the most honest guess you can.

JustBob Your anger fascinates me