Praetorianus October 21st, 2013 1:30am

Historical Q: in the year 1517, a German monk named Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses to a church door, thereby starting a revolution. If you had been alive then, which side would you have picked?

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
10/20/13 8:36 pm

I haven't researched it enough to say definitively. But from what I understand, at that time the Church of Rome was seriously twisted and Luther was bringing people back to the Bible. Therefore I would side with Luther.

dryanmorr
10/20/13 7:27 pm

Catholics had their issues..but you really can't just make up your own religion/ faith...

thewheel
10/20/13 7:12 pm

As I am a Lutheran, Luther.

skinner Jersey City
10/20/13 6:52 pm

It depends on my background. If I'm just an average German peasant then I would side with Luther. Join the revolution. And get put down and murdered by the empire with the approval of the guy I placed all my faith in.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/20/13 6:50 pm

I'm baptist, so I wouldn't have been involved anyway.

Arya8
10/20/13 6:56 pm

Your religion wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Luther.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/20/13 7:02 pm

You're mistaken.
If you're referring to Christianity, it existed long before Martin Luther. The same applies if you're referring to the Baptist denomination.

Arya8
10/20/13 7:25 pm

Perhaps I've misunderstood this in every class I've ever taken, but my understanding is that all Christians were catholic until Martin Luther. His actions led to the reformation and Protestantism. Baptists are Protestants.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/20/13 7:32 pm

Perhaps you have. Baptist were never part of the Catholic Church. Look up the Anabaptists and other such denominations that carried on from the apostle's work.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/20/13 7:34 pm

Or perhaps your class is just teaching you things that are not true. It happens very commonly in America.
Also, Baptists are not Protestant as we had nothing to protest.

Arya8
10/20/13 7:34 pm

I know baptists believe their religion is right and more like the original Christian church and John the Baptist, etc. But the fact remains that baptists as a denomination did not exist until after the reformation.

Arya8
10/20/13 7:37 pm

I just did. Anabaptists are traced to the 16th century reformation movement and are considered Protestants. I'm not saying baptists were Catholics; I'm saying the denomination didn't formally exist until the reformation occurred.

Arya8
10/20/13 7:38 pm

Religions also commonly teach things that aren't true - in their favor. But I digress. I don't wish to argue with you about you. You're free to believe as you wish, but everything I've learned in many classes - and church - says otherwise.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/20/13 7:42 pm

That's because no denominations formally existed prior to that other than Catholicism. It was just "the church."
There were non-Catholic churches from the time of the apostles up until the Protestant Reformation.

Liberty 4,032,064
10/20/13 7:47 pm

There were twelve apostles preaching and building churches. Peter was not the only one to start churches.

soupyquinn Jr. nuke tester
10/20/13 6:35 pm

Funny, my sister and I were just talking about Luther. Assuming I wouldn't be atheist because of the time period, I'd go with the Catholics if only because I wouldn't know what these new upstarts are really about.

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/20/13 6:35 pm

I would have been conservative. Nix splitting the church.

MisterE Conservistan
10/20/13 6:35 pm

Luther, because the Catholic Church had terrible practices and terrible leadership.

Mattwall1
10/20/13 6:34 pm

Neither given I'm an ethnic Jew. Although the 21st if October is the day he went into seminary so he did this just short of an anniversary

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/20/13 6:41 pm

What do you mean by ethnic Jew? I don't think Judaism is an ethnic thing, just a religion

Mattwall1
10/20/13 6:45 pm

Jewishness can be defined in a religious cultural or ethnic sense

Praetorianus Fair enough.
10/20/13 9:15 pm

Judging from the profile picture alone, Jews are very handsome @matt :)

Mattwall1
10/20/13 9:44 pm

@fiat: shifty eyes?
@praet thanks for the compliment

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
10/21/13 7:48 am

What do you get? I'm asking since I probably implied several things by what I said while only intending one.

FIAT2LUX On Planet Earth
10/21/13 8:47 am

Nope. My eyes move and track properly. It's something else that I was talking about. It's not related to my eyes. Think of it as an expression of what I'm thinking.

MrAngerer
10/20/13 6:32 pm

Luther because he actually cared what the bible said. Catholics followed it extremely loosely and made up their own stuff.

skinner Jersey City
10/20/13 6:55 pm

To be fair to Catholics, most of them couldn't read the Bible themselves so they didn't know better

Skarface Banned
10/20/13 6:31 pm

Neither, I would've been an atheist.

rightway101 the thought provoker
10/20/13 6:34 pm

And you would've been burned at the stake. No offense, just what would've happened.

skinner Jersey City
10/20/13 6:54 pm

No you wouldn't have Skar. You would have been raised completely different in that era. There were very few atheist in this era, I doubt you would be one of them. You would finally see the light of God

Skarface Banned
10/20/13 6:55 pm

I would've been raised as a Christian, which I was. Then, I would've come to the conclusion that Christianity is wrong, which I did.

skinner Jersey City
10/20/13 6:58 pm

You simply wouldn't have even considered such a thought. Free thinking was not common in that era

Skarface Banned
10/20/13 7:02 pm

Once I started giving religion much thought at all, I quickly renounced my Christianity. I'm confident that the same thing would've happened during Luther's day.

skinner Jersey City
10/20/13 7:03 pm

I think given society as a while at the time that wouldn't be the case. But I suppose we can agree to disagree

moonshot More often I know nothing
10/20/13 9:53 pm

As an atheist in that day, we probably would have been completely closeted and would have remained with the Catholics. For their own safety, I would imagine those with doubts would have tried to remain as quiet as possible. Lay low!

Mattwall1
10/20/13 9:57 pm

Skar, if you actually did become an atheist, you'd likely meet the fate of Bruno