Ebola1 October 20th, 2013 5:56pm

Insurance company allows the patient to refill prescriptions 3 days early but local pharmacy won't allow the refill until the day it is due. Fair?

KatG Liberal in Ohio
10/20/13 11:45 am

How inconvenient. I live 20 minutes from my pharmacy. ..having to make a special trip into town, well, I would switch.

violence Pretty hate machine
10/20/13 11:07 am

Sure. Their business their rules. If you don't like it change pharmacies. If all the pharmacies have that policy then it's probably a state law, in which case it's not their fault.

10/20/13 12:08 pm

Sure, it's their rules, but I would challenge them on the sanity of the policy before changing pharmacies. Especially if it were the only one in a small town, or the only convenient one for me. Because it's a stupid policy.

violence Pretty hate machine
10/20/13 12:12 pm

Considering the possibility of the pharmacy being held at fault in a wrongful death suit, I think it's a perfectly sane policy.

10/20/13 12:18 pm

No, it's really stupid. If you're given 30 pills in a prescription, you have 30 pills. Even if you hoard all those 30 pills & get your next prescription 2 days early instead of the day you run out, you have only 32 pills. People go on vacation,

10/20/13 12:20 pm

people get called out of town on emergencies, people have set work schedules that may make it impossible for them to get to a pharmacy on one specific day. Pharmacies understand this, insurance companies understand this. I've never heard of a

10/20/13 12:21 pm

one-day-only policy. My former insurance company allowed a full week ahead. I don't know what Medicare allows, but I go shopping on Thursdays ONLY to the supermarket where I get my prescriptions filled, & I've never had a problem getting my

10/20/13 12:22 pm

prescription filled on whatever Thursday came close to when I would run out. People's lives don't revolve around the day they run out of their pills.

violence Pretty hate machine
10/20/13 12:25 pm

...

It's no more stupid than holding a bar/tender liable for the death of one of their patrons due to excessive consumption. If the pharmacy wants to cover their system, that just makes them smart.

violence Pretty hate machine
10/20/13 12:26 pm

Whether or not you understand or agree with that makes it no more or less valid.

violence Pretty hate machine
10/20/13 12:28 pm

Also, to suggest something is wrong or stupid just because it doesn't cater to you is moronic.

10/20/13 12:31 pm

It would be wrong (I wouldn't use the word moronic, myself) to call something stupid just because it doesn't cater to *me*, but that's not what I did, at all.

I'm done talking to you about this. Clearly we aren't going to agree.

violence Pretty hate machine
10/20/13 12:35 pm

Okay. Whatever. I was never trying to inflict my opinion on you in the first place.

Ebola1 Florida
10/20/13 7:04 pm

Wow, talk about a straw man! What does letting someone drink to excess in a bar have to do with getting one's prescriptions filled. I really want to hear whatever could connect the two!

violence Pretty hate machine
10/20/13 7:07 pm

It's an analogy that I have the time to explain to you at the moment and won't for the next... 48 hours or so. So why don't you see if you an puzzle it out.

Ebola1 Florida
10/20/13 7:22 pm

I don't believe I could possibly "puzzle out" what's in your mind.

10/20/13 7:23 pm

This same-day thing also appears silly when many (if not most or ALL) doctors will write prescriptions for 90 days instead of 30, for the SAME medication (maybe not all, like painkillers, but others that could kill or seriously screw you up if you

Ebola1 Florida
10/20/13 7:25 pm

Exactly, you never get more pills than the prescribed amount.

10/20/13 7:26 pm

took more than 30 days' worth at once). So you'd effectively be getting TWO full prescriptions a full TWO MONTHS ahead, instead of one, 1-2 DAYs ahead. Yes, I understand the burden is on the doctor, not the pharmacy, in those circumstances, but

10/20/13 7:27 pm

it still point up the silliness of a concern (beyond a legal one, which doesn't seem to be the case here) about someone having a few extra pills.

violence Pretty hate machine
10/20/13 7:27 pm

Could you discuss this somewhere else? I don't have the time to respond and don't want the notifications.

10/20/13 7:29 pm

I think she's just referring to liability, Ebola, which is a valid concern IF there's a legality involved.

violence - Sure thing.

Ebola1 Florida
10/20/13 7:32 pm

She has no answer so I won't comment further on her thread.

10/20/13 11:03 am

No. This is stupid. It should be a week, anyway (and was, for my former health insurance company). What if you're going on a trip? What if you can't get there because of your work schedule? Just for a couple examples of valid reasons.

Ebola1 Florida
10/20/13 11:14 am

This policy was set by the regional pharmacy manager because "if you're taking a medicine 2x/day and come in 3 days early every time for three months you would then have 18 extra pills". Comments?

10/20/13 12:05 pm

True. But if you come in 1 time 3 days early because your mother is in the hospital in another state, you have 6 extra pills, and you'll probably come back for the next refill when they're almost gone... not another 3 days early. The manager is

10/20/13 12:06 pm

an idiot, & somebody should speak to someone higher up. Or switch pharmacies, but your question was whether this policy is fair, and no, it's not. It's just stupid, especially if it PRESUMES that people are going to come early every time and

10/20/13 12:07 pm

hoard pills. And who the hell cares if they have 18 extra pills anyway? The prescription is for a specific amount of medication (number of pills times number of refills), so what does it matter?

Ebola1 Florida
10/20/13 7:01 pm

Exactly.

Ebola1 Florida
10/20/13 7:33 pm

But Susan most likely if you only took 30 days at one time that would be harmful.

10/20/13 7:41 pm

Sure. But you have 30 days' worth of pills the day you get your prescription filled/refilled. There's nothing magic about 30 days of pills; it's not based on lethal dose.

Ebola1 Florida
10/21/13 6:00 am

I think we agree. It's a stupid rule where no one gets more medicine than prescribed. I don't see the liability angle.

roundsquare round square
10/20/13 11:00 am

Drug store doesn't want the business?!