Ebola1 October 20th, 2013 5:53pm

13 y/o girl jumps to her death after being subjected to cyber bullying. Still think people that want to die should be allowed?

jvc1133 61535
10/21/13 8:53 am

Will not judge bad example

trollthepoll Pro Choice
10/21/13 12:30 pm

Agreed. Depression no... But someone who is terminally ill or in constant physically debilitating pain sure.

skinner Jersey City
10/20/13 2:38 pm

Sure she had the right to life and she revoked that.

Hope Minneapolis
10/20/13 1:29 pm

She didn't want to die. She wanted the bullying to stop. My 14yo 9th grader has been bullied since 2nd grade. I even took him out of school for 5 months until I was able to get the county involved & get him back in school in a special program with...

Hope Minneapolis
10/20/13 1:33 pm

smaller class sizes with the same at-risk kids. He is very bright but for 6 yrs & weekly trips to the principal & VPs office nothing was done other than to blame my son for his coping skills. If something were to happen to him (which it did) I would

Hope Minneapolis
10/20/13 1:34 pm

NOT stop til those responsible were held accountable

stefanie22 Cincinnati
10/20/13 12:32 pm

You can't compare a bullied 16 yr old & 70 year old terminal patient. That's not fair.

AUtiger2013 GOP, Turn California Red
10/20/13 1:12 pm

Totally agree. That young girl was scared, alone and that was a tragic ending to a young life. If a 70 or 80 yr old adult in sound mind who is in pain and wants to end their life they should have the choice to do it in a peaceful way.

10/20/13 7:06 pm

Who is doing that?

10/20/13 7:08 pm

Tiger, I support your right to end your life and if you do I will recommend against a jail sentence. Anyone can commit suicide. Why would it be necessary to make it "legal"?

stefanie22 Cincinnati
10/20/13 7:09 pm

The question is comparing them. It's premise that 16 year old suicides could make one rethink their position leading someone die on their own terms by its nature is making that comparison.

Fjolsvin Midgard
10/20/13 12:21 pm

Does one own oneself? If so then it is tyrannical to enforce ownership of someone else. If it is the state then you are simply a slave. I am not a slave I own myself and can choose to end my own life at will.

10/20/13 7:10 pm

So you agree we should cheer her on?

Fjolsvin Midgard
10/20/13 7:19 pm

I believe she has the right to do as she wills and will not impose my will on her as if I owned her life.

honest
10/20/13 12:01 pm

The question is limited in its scope. The answers will suit the askers argument.

doctalk not all who wander r lost
10/20/13 11:34 am

The depressed and despondent should be supported and understood. After that ... It's very circumstantial.

presleyc5 tejas
10/20/13 11:58 am

I agree. That's where this question becomes almost unanswerable. Everyone has a different situation, personality, and support systems.

10/20/13 7:20 pm

Exactly, but who is preventing ANYONE from jumping off a building if they so desire? Nobody.

kspells TheOtherOtherside
10/20/13 11:15 am

If you are in agony physically (torture) or mental anguish (torment) death might have a value. It's what causes the pain that decides if there is a crime being committed & who should have the right to die & who should lose their right to live.

10/20/13 11:18 am

Who should their right to live?

10/20/13 11:19 am

Who should lose their right to live?

kspells TheOtherOtherside
10/20/13 11:40 am

The person who is committing the crime of wrongfully endangering a life.

susanr Colorado
10/20/13 11:08 am

Who said I thought that to begin with? I don't. I'm fine with suicide & assisted suicide for terminally ill people in pain, at the very least, but I think most people who are depressed can be helped back to enjoyment of life. And especially

susanr Colorado
10/20/13 11:08 am

if the "depression" has an external cause like bullying.

10/20/13 11:18 am

I agree, yet look at the percentage who would just let them go.

10/20/13 11:00 am

I've been taken aback by the number of persons supporting suicide on SOH. One pole asked if suicide should be legal even though the idea of punishing someone who committed suicide is ridiculous.

TierasPet
10/20/13 10:58 am

I'm not sure how you could stop them. If someone really wants to die, they will find a way. I'm very sorry about that girl and the many other teens who kill themselves because of bullying, or any other reason.

10/20/13 11:06 am

Me too but if we discovered it, should we attempt to stop it by involuntary means until they are no longer a danger to themselves or others or should we just honor her wishes.

TierasPet
10/20/13 11:34 am

I think an attempt to stop her is absolutely right. There are already 72 hour suicide holds in hospitals, at least in Washington. That would provide a chance to stop her. If age were my child I would not leave her alone for one minute....

TierasPet
10/20/13 11:36 am

The best way to prevent these types of suicides is to properly punish the bully's. right now they just get away with it. They shouldn't.

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/20/13 10:56 am

I never thought that to begin with - however, if I were to have that opinion I would suggest that there is a difference between a fully grown adult (an older person dying of a painful decease perhaps ) and a bullied young teen

10/20/13 11:02 am

What about a depressed person?

presleyc5 tejas
10/20/13 11:03 am

Yes agreed Shelly. It's one thing for an adult with say ALS, to do it, something else for a child who has been bullied.

10/20/13 11:09 am

Presley, isn't it a moot point being that we couldn't stop anyone from committing suicide anyway?

shellybaxter1234 Peaceful Place
10/20/13 11:09 am

Ebola1 - I don't know - as someone who suffers from depression (in recovery now) I would say no if it's just from the depression, but remember - I don't support letting people kill themselves. I was just pointing out there were different situations

presleyc5 tejas
10/20/13 11:55 am

Your right Ebola, it is. I guess I see it as more supporting one and not the other. Things can get better for someone who is depressed or bullied, but not someone with a terminal illness.

10/20/13 7:16 pm

Who is preventing anyone with a terminal illness from committing suicide. Couldn't they jump off a building just like the girl?