Emma October 20th, 2013 4:35am

Was life much easier before the proliferation of cell phones and the internet, or were the problems just different?

freespirited Ohio
10/21/13 3:44 am

Both! In my days, not even fist fights was heard of in schools. I did extensive writing, sent out letters, rec'd letters, meals always made from scratch, everyone ate together. Today it's just sad. Mouthy children, impatient parents, fast foods, et.

cornybread The Large Malus Fruit
10/20/13 11:03 am

Certain things were easier then, certain things are easier now. The world certainly moves at a much faster pace than it use to, and that can be overwhelming. But then I think about all the good things technology has developed.

TerryQuinn Stardust
10/20/13 7:42 am

Life is way easier now. No paper maps, can rent/buy books from my home, can read multiple newspapers with no/little cost, don't need to Xerox journal articles, can meet friends easily and spontaneously, don't need to write letters to stay in touch.

TerryQuinn Stardust
10/20/13 7:44 am

Oh, and if you have a question about anything, you don't need to find an expert or go to the library - just search the Internet - at least as a starting point.

rlands
10/20/13 6:43 am

Way easier. And I think life was more fun before everyone was constantly on their cell phones :/

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/20/13 8:12 am

It happens somewhat frequently. I've noticed the same on a number of my own questions.

rlands
10/20/13 8:16 am

I'm assuming you replied to the wrong comment :)

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/20/13 8:22 am

As to your comment: you really do place fun and happiness at high levels of importance... (:

rlands
10/20/13 8:22 am

Haha no worries, it happens to the best of us :)

rlands
10/20/13 8:23 am

Definitely! There's really nothing much more important than happiness.

ozzy
10/20/13 6:13 am

Not easier, just simpler

MrLucchese If curious, ask.
10/20/13 4:31 am

Interesting how many of the comments went contrary to the results. Then again, that's not too uncommon.
I said different.

Emma Austin.ish.
10/20/13 8:07 am

I find that quite interesting, too.

KAnne Atlantic City, NJ
10/19/13 10:43 pm

Definitely not easier.

JollyMan93 Big Sky Guy
10/19/13 10:26 pm

Today we have technology telling us what to do and how to think...before we made our own way and our own choices with common sense and courtesy to our fellow man. I'll leave it at that.

JollyMan93 Big Sky Guy
10/19/13 10:19 pm

I honestly full heartily believe it is harder today then it was back then due to technology. There was a time when you went to put in a hard days work, then came home not to be disturbed all the time by others on social media etc. today is nothing

JollyMan93 Big Sky Guy
10/19/13 10:23 pm

But selling. I believe ppl were more united in our country and you could easily relate. Today it's all over the place. We don't make anything anymore we just have services. Everything today is almost backwards and It goes on and on and on..

JollyMan93 Big Sky Guy
10/19/13 10:34 pm

People also don't live within their means. Company's make things "affordable" when in reality it just puts ppl in debt

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/20/13 12:02 am

Technology has made it easier to do a lot of jobs though. The real issue is that expectations have increased; I don't think you can blame the technology itself for that.

comppete Las Vegas
10/19/13 10:17 pm

Same but different. Worst was the 8-Track. If you wanted to replay a song, you had to drive around the block until it came up again. There was no rewind. And, if you had a large collection of tapes, you had to keep them in a suitcase in the trunk.

PeppyHare Do a barrel roll
10/19/13 9:52 pm

I have no idea how many times we went somewhere when I was a kid and couldn't find the place.

JollyMan93 Big Sky Guy
10/19/13 10:24 pm

Sometimes that was the fun of it though

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
10/19/13 9:43 pm

At first I thought this was an easy answer, but it's a really good question when you think about it. At the core, I think most problems are the same, although they may come in different guises. We're still struggling to be understood and to handle...

PartyJustin R.O.C.K. in the R.O.C.
10/19/13 9:43 pm

everything on our plate. Life is certainly more convenient now than in the past, but I think we'll always struggle with our most basic problems.

dawl adulting
10/19/13 9:41 pm

Different, but some days I get overwhelmed and think before was better.

Rob Be Safe Be Smart
10/19/13 9:40 pm

Easier really. Less pressure on a constant level. Sure you can attempt to control your own intake but that's easier for some than others. Some of the pressures put on today's youth due to social media should almost be considered a health hazard...

EnderWiggin So disillusioned...
10/19/13 10:19 pm

Hear hear! With the advance of communication, productivity has increased in no small part because the ease at which one can be contacted in time that used to be for you and family. Have a type A neighbor who is never shut off. Riles her husband noend

bethanyq Ess Eff
10/20/13 12:04 am

Not just the youth; we grown-ups have a lot more expectations from our jobs too.

Mattwall1
10/19/13 9:38 pm

Different. You could say the same thing about the stone tablet, the scroll, the book, (for more in that check out this video m.youtube.com/watch?v=OkQkeKbTP_w) as well as every other major change in human history