kaleb8082 October 20th, 2013 4:22am

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

TierasPet
10/19/13 10:14 pm

They should if the Native Americans agree that they should. They are the ones who would be most offended by the name and the ones who have the right to ask for a change.

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/19/13 9:55 pm

Different perspectives make the world go around. Most of the folks I know are offended.

rainman1088
10/19/13 9:58 pm

Yeah, true. But, I still don't see the point in being offended by something that was meant to honor a group of people. The team loved the guy so much that they named the franchise after him... That's a pretty powerful positive, in my opinion

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/19/13 10:04 pm

Not in my view. Also it is not my perspective that just a few natives are upset about this and they don't know what they are offended about and it's just non natives egging it on. I'm empathetic to their struggle but I'll let them fight the battle.

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/19/13 10:06 pm

In the end they will win and the name will change in my opinion. We'll have to wait and see. It's not like they started yesterday - it's taken many years to get it this far so I'm sure they won't stop now.

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/20/13 8:28 pm

Another source Rainman. American Indians speaking for themselves. See the following video.

www.msnbc.com/up/watch/separating-race-from-sports-55057475722

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/19/13 9:49 pm

I do look around the Rez all the time. You might not be offended but I know scores of tribal members and Tribal Governments that are deeply offended. You're not speaking with someone who has never visited the Rez. I've visited all over but mostly in

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/19/13 9:53 pm

mostly in the west. CO, MT, ND, SD, UT, WY but other states as well. One website I'd recommend is last real Indians hosted by Chase Iron Eyes and his wife. I think you'll see an entirely different perspective there.

rainman1088
10/19/13 9:53 pm

There are literally no members of my family that are insulted. I also I am aware of no natives that are personally offended. There are ALWAYS some members of a group that will be "offended" by anything just to get their 15 minutes / money.

rainman1088
10/19/13 9:56 pm

Not calling your source "fake" or anything, just saying. People are just too sensitive without knowing what they are being sensitive about. It's a VERY small number of people that would actually be offended and most of them are NOT natives.

rainman1088
10/19/13 9:56 pm

bringstheeagle Colorado
10/19/13 9:39 pm

They should change. It's not political correctness it's offensive and insulting.

rainman1088
10/19/13 9:46 pm

As a Cherokee, it's not offensive in the slightest. It was to honor the first coach of the team. He was a Sioux. Look around a reservation sometime, natives wear Blackhawks, redskins, Seminoles, etc. not offensive.